StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought this set-up to make use of the video camera I bought 4 years ago and have hardly used. Most of the motorcycle video I've watched has the camera behind the windscreen. Other than the obvious protection this gives the camera, is there a reason why it should be done this way?

Some completed videos I've watched are far higher in quality than others. I know that much of this is due to lossy compression. What about the seemingly poor focus on many videos while rolling down the road? Is this due to the camera being behind the screen, or are there other reasons beyond lossy compression? Do many cameras not focus well at speed? I already know I can't take video of the ocean because the autofocus will hunt forever.

The heavy duty flex arm is very sturdy (and obviously out of scale). It's about 18 inches long.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Not sure on all your questions, but I do know that the sonar that a camera uses will read the windshield and try to focus to that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check to see if your camera will let you set the focus rather than having the autofocus set.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Set the camera on manual focus if you can, make sure it is isolated from vibrations as much as possible and if you want to hear engine sounds then a remote mic would be good as the one on the camera will pick up wind noise at anything over 10 mph. I tried a vidio years ago with the camera mounted on top of an old helmet, should have seen the looks I got going up the highway, lots of fun.

Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts