StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I just installed a new sensor after getting intermittent FI .
Made an enormous difference in how smooth the bike fuels , a lot of quirky intermittent behavior is now gone completely and the bike runs much better,
Maybe a flakey cam sensor is causing you issues too.
Best $120 I’ve spent on the bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hmmmmm

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Do you know if there was ever a part number change ?

I had a car with some fuelling issues and while investigating I found they had upgraded one of the temperature sensors, it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know if there was ever a part number change ?

I had a car with some fuelling issues and while investigating I found they had upgraded one of the temperature sensors, it made a huge difference.
I don’t think they changed the part, original number as far as I know.
The Suzuki warehouse only hade two in stock.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Does the DL1000 even have a cam position sensor?

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,243 Posts
Does the DL1000 even have a cam position sensor?
It does have a crankshaft position sensor (CKP) but of course that's not the same thing.

On further review, I don't believe there is in fact a camshaft position sensor in the DL1000 engine. Doesn't show up in info about valve clearance checks/adjustment, not found on parts sites. I suspect OP meant throttle position sensor (TPS), as it seems to be the frequent culprit of DL1000 running problems.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a cam position sensor located on the rear cyl head cover. # 11in the diagram.
Screenshot_2020-07-15 2005 Suzuki V-Strom (DL1000) ELECTRICAL Ron Ayers.png

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,243 Posts
Only on the rear cylinder? How does that work?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm not a student of fuel injection, but I think it works like this. The ECU looks for the cam position signal on the rear intake cam to establish the intake valve position(opening) relative to the piston location(intake stroke). It then actuates the rear fuel injector. It then monitors degrees of crankshaft rotation through the crank position sensor until it knows when the intake stroke of the front cylinder begins and actuates the forward injector. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I was curious enough to look into this. The DL1000 from 2002 to 2012 has a flywheel with only 4 detection bumps (or 3?) for the Crank Position Sensor which, apparently, isn't accurate enough for the ECU to deduce injection timing. In 2014 and later they added additional bumps which allowed them to drop the Cam Position Sensor. Note the one missing bump in the 2014 flywheel that gives the ECU a timing mark.

The DL650 never had a Cam Position Sensor and always had the more precise flywheel/CKP and thus no need for the Cam Position Sensor.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,243 Posts
Yep, that's why I thought there was no CPS (as opposed to CKP).

That and Suzuki makes some weird choices in organizing parts diagrams. Crankshaft position sensor is on rear cylinder head, but is it in the "REAR CYLINDER HEAD" diagram? Nope. "ELECTRICAL" with no context as to where it resides.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does have a crankshaft position sensor (CKP) but of course that's not the same thing.

On further review, I don't believe there is in fact a camshaft position sensor in the DL1000 engine. Doesn't show up in info about valve clearance checks/adjustment, not found on parts sites. I suspect OP meant throttle position sensor (TPS), as it seems to be the frequent culprit of DL1000 running problems.
Oh, I must of just made it up, sorry, I defer to your obvious genius level mechanical skills and experience, my apologies.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Dang, got me! I thought I was replacing a cam sensor and yes it must have in fact been a throttle position sensor, what in the world was I thinking!!?
once again sorry for the mistake, MAYBE I SHOULD DOUBLE CHECK MY FACTS BEFORE I POST STUPID SHIT!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Dang, got me! I thought I was replacing a cam sensor and yes it must have in fact been a throttle position sensor, what in the world was I thinking!!?
once again sorry for the mistake, MAYBE I SHOULD DOUBLE CHECK MY FACTS BEFORE I POST STUPID SHIT!
I've got running problems after it's run for a couple of minutes. First 5 min it runs fine, then misses a little, then a lot. Idles OK. Turn it off, count 45 potatoes, and it'll run fine for 4 or 5 more minutes before it misses a little and then a lot, again. It's not throwing any FI codes and TPS is centered. Sound like your CPS issue?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got running problems after it's run for a couple of minutes. First 5 min it runs fine, then misses a little, then a lot. Idles OK. Turn it off, count 45 potatoes, and it'll run fine for 4 or 5 more minutes before it misses a little and then a lot, again. It's not throwing any FI codes and TPS is centered. Sound like your CPS issue?
Somewhat, I had surging, stalling issues, an ocassional miss.
I did tps, tbs, ultrasonic cleaning of injectors and still had the problems.
After I changed the cam sensor it’s solid, no misses, no surging/hunting and never stalls anymore.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My problems definitely worse when the bike was hot, three bars.
Problems existed before it was throwing fi code and went away after cool down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts