StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the trigger on the new Vee2...but when listening to the Youtube stuff I hear quite a bit of cam gear noise...somewhat annoying.
I do wear earplugs.
Comments please?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The bike is flawless. Any imperfection is just your imagination. La, la, la, la.

Of course it makes gear noise, its a partially gear driven valve system.
Get a louder exhaust then you won't be able to hear it.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
Love that sound, and know I am not alone either. Always aftermarket exhaust options, that will mute the gear wine a bit.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
cam gear noise

I am about to pull the trigger on the new Vee2...but when listening to the Youtube stuff I hear quite a bit of cam gear noise...somewhat annoying.
I do wear earplugs.
Comments please?
try listening to a Ducati with its Desmodronic valve system :jawdrop:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I do wear earplugs.
Comments please?
Lots of cam gear noise, I personally like that noise. Mine has a slight knock at idle when warm.... I do not like that noise.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I do wear earplugs.
Comments please?
The bike makes that noise all the time, if it really does bother you I would not get the bike. I always wear earplugs (Hearos) and cannot hear it when riding expect at stoplights but that's OK as I LIKE the sound quite a bit. Without earplugs it is very noticeable and almost sounds like supercharger belt whine when getting on the throttle at speed (quite cool!). But it's always going to be there every start, every shutdown, and every red light, make no mistake.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the informative answer Stoopy.
As long as I can't hear it much running down the road, I am ok.
I wear earplugs also, all the time.
They are EAR SOFT GRIPPERS by 3M.(foam)
They are like the older Earsofts with little ridges to help seal and they really work good.
Reviewed by webBikeWorld...most excellent and comfy FYI.
BTW, went several dealers today in the greater Toronto are with a bud...no one got one on display yet....bummer.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks for the informative answer Stoopy.
As long as I can't hear it much running down the highway, I am ok.
In that context, your earplugs would have to be pretty weak for you to hear it over wind noise and the nice thrum of the exhaust.

And you are very much welcome, happy to help. :thumbup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In that context, your earplugs would have to be pretty weak for you to hear it over wind noise and the nice thrum of the exhaust.

And you are very much welcome, happy to help. :thumbup:
When I listed to it on YouTube I didn't have my earplugs in.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
When I listed to it on YouTube I didn't have my earplugs in.:mrgreen:
LMAO! Well, there ya go!

FYI I paid a bit more attention on the way home form work and with the helmet and earplugs I use, and 53-year-old ears that have heard wayy too much loud music, the cam gear whine was no longer audible at about 45 - 50 MPH. So, anything below that, you'll hear it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you just eventually tune it out, in much the same way as a shrill female voice continually asking you to take out the trash gets tuned out... :mrgreen:

Oops sorry what was that dear?

·
Registered
161 Posts
LMAO! Well, there ya go!

FYI I paid a bit more attention on the way home form work and with the helmet and earplugs I use, and 53-year-old ears that have heard wayy too much loud music, the cam gear whine was no longer audible at about 45 - 50 MPH. So, anything below that, you'll hear it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you just eventually tune it out, in much the same way as a shrill female voice continually asking you to take out the trash gets tuned out... :mrgreen:

Oops sorry what was that dear?
Do you have a slight knowck at idle? I dont know if I am imagining it or not but it sure sounds like a bit of a knock at stop lights. Maybe I am just not used to vtwins!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Do you have a slight knowck at idle? I dont know if I am imagining it or not but it sure sounds like a bit of a knock at stop lights. Maybe I am just not used to vtwins!
I can't say that I do. But then again I am used to the DL650 which makes knocking, clicking, whirring, clacking, tapping, spinning, ticking tocking noises continuously, so to me this engine sounds turbine-smooth. And I ride with earplugs so I would not hear too many 'slight' noises anyway.

I'l pay closer attention when I fire it up tomorrow morning though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I must admit that my Wee made all kinds of Singer Music that many complained about that I did not hear once I put my plugs in...What...What are you talking about...what???:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can't say that I do. But then again I am used to the DL650 which makes knocking, clicking, whirring, clacking, tapping, spinning, ticking tocking noises continuously, so to me this engine sounds turbine-smooth. And I ride with earplugs so I would not hear too many 'slight' noises anyway.

I'l pay closer attention when I fire it up tomorrow morning though.

If you are going to take a look I should mention that I only here it when warm at idle.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I personally love the sound of the gear driven cams, very mechanical, almost wish it had that harsh clunk then whirring sound that my old M3 CSL had with it's square cut gears.......ah those were the days............

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If you are going to take a look I should mention that I only here it when warm at idle.
OK. Well I didn't see your comment about it being warm so I didn't listen to it after I got to where i was going this mornign - but, on startup in my garage I only heard the whirring of the cam drive and the thrumming of the exhaust, no knock.

As an aside, did you happen to put in Shell Rotella-T when you did your recent oil change? I only ask because every time I use that oil, I seem to always hear more knocks or ticks. Good oil, just seems to do less to dampen some sounds than other oils.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts