StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got a nice new CALSCI windshield in preparation for the cool Michigan winter riding season. When I rode it to work the next day in ~31 degree weather, it turned a (very) light purple! When looking through the windshield it reduces transmitted light a very little bit, no problem at all during the day but maybe a little more noticable at night when my aging eyes need all the light they can get. The cut edges are a stronger bluish purple, just looks odd to me.

I contacted CALSCI and they said "The plastic turns a light purple in cold weather. When it gets about about 45 degrees, it will clear up again. "

I am not sure how I feel about this just yet, except that I expected my new clear windshield to stay clear. Maybe I will get to like the purple tint ... Nah!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a calsci also, love it. Mine turns that off-shade purple also in the cold. Not a problem for me. The lack of wind smacking my head around is worth almost any color the windshield wants to turn. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took a bit longer ride today at higher speeds, definitely a big improvement in protection and smoothness; I rode at 70 indicated with open face mask in 35 degree weather.

Since it will clear up when it gets warmer, and in the meantime provides much more protection from the chill I think it will stay on the bike.

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
Think of it this way, you won't need a thermometer to tell the chill. Anything above 45 degrees is not bad riding.
My beemer RID flashes at temps below 38 degrees. Your windshield cost a lot less than a beemer.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
That is very strange. At least CALSCI acknowledged the issue to verify that you're not crazy, and it's just a curiosity rather than a problem.

Got any pics? :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
As we use to say in the automotive world:

"It's not a flaw, it's a feature!"

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I suspect it has to do with the material it's made from. I know some clear ABS plastics do similar things at different temps. Not sure what the CalSci is mad of, but it's not shocking.

If nothing else, it may give you an indication of the temperature on those cooler mornings... :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It's a mood shield

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to wrap this up, here is some final info from CALSCI:

"
Acrylic is a very brittle plastic, completely unsuitable for windshields, and stays clear at low temperatures. We use a chemically modified impact-resistant plastic. The modifiers have temperature properties. Clearview, Aeroflow, Laminar Lip, Parabellum and I all use Atufina SG+, which has the blue tint at very low temperatures. I also use Plaskolite 70%, which has a gold tint at low temperatures. Cee Baileys uses a different plastic which does not tint at low temperatures, but is much softer and more flexible; they need to use about 40% thicker and heavier plastic than I use to get the same stiffness and aerodynamic stability.

You're the third person in about 9,300 windshields who has complained.
"

I guess I am a 0.01%er now. CALSCI did offer to take back the windshield if I was unhappy. I asked about maybe trading for a nice gold one but I think they have had enough of my nonsense ...

Mike

p.s. The pic was when it was about 36 degrees, looks different from each angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
As we use to say in the automotive world:

"It's not a flaw, it's a feature!"
I agree. I wear a tinted face shield during the summer months. When winter rolls around I switch to my cold weather gear. Since I'm commuting to work in the dark, I prefer a clear face shield. This can cause some problems on bright days though. A windshield that tints in the cold would be a good thing to me as long as I can see over the top on my morning commute. Oh, it was 14 deg. when I left the house on Sunday and 16 on Monday. My hands got a little numb but that's about it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
After reading this thread I went to check on the shield on my new to me K5 (tall Calsci). Sure enough, light purple :). I rode it home in 40 degree weather, didn't notice it. Funny though.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I;ve ridden in 35 a few times here, have not noticed the shield color,,, but then again, when it's that cold here it's usually night. I love my Cal-Sci shield, I have not problem if it turns purple at 30 degrees, as long as I can still see through it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts