StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be joining the ranks of you E-ZPass people on my summer travels.. any tips to share re the system? Also, where do you mount the transponder unit on the Strom? Thanks in advance for the help.

Stromette

·
Registered
43 Posts
I too got EZ Pass to make matters easier at toll boths.

Lessons learned 1: There are different colors of EZ Pass that don't accept the others.

Lessons learned 2: States like Texas use EZ Tag and probably other variations. They don't seem to be related to one another at all and don't accept the EZ Pass transponder.

I'll bet there are other lessons to be learned, sad to say.

A

·
0 Posts
I live in mass and use one on the Strom.
For local travel I just cary it in my jacket pocket and take it out as I pass through the tolls.

I will be taking a trip in a week and a half and putting it the map pouch on the tankbag.
Mass use Fast lane but has agreements with EZpass for use. I have used mine in MD, DE, NJ, NY, MA, NH and ME.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I tried all kinds of way but the best I found in Maryland is to put it in the map cover of my tank bag and place the tank bag up against the windshield as I go through the toll. I tried mounting it but it would not set off the system 1/2 the time. I tried holding it up when I went through the toll. I don't know if there is a good way to do it to tell you the truth unless you put some big ugly plastic holder on the front of your bike. The EZ Pass people told me they would sell me one for 15 bucks. I could not bring myself to sticking it on my Wee Strom.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Using one on the east coast

the previous owner had a small bracket mounted in just the right place. It's on the plactic panel under the windshield. Apparently a good place since it's working up and down the east coast without any problems.

I do remove it so it doens't get stolen.

·
Registered
84 Posts
jag44 said:
I tried all kinds of way but the best I found in Maryland is to put it in the map cover of my tank bag and place the tank bag up against the windshield as I go through the toll. I tried mounting it but it would not set off the system 1/2 the time. I tried holding it up when I went through the toll. I don't know if there is a good way to do it to tell you the truth unless you put some big ugly plastic holder on the front of your bike. The EZ Pass people told me they would sell me one for 15 bucks. I could not bring myself to sticking it on my Wee Strom.

Hey jag, Just put it in your tank bag....and leave it on the tank lol. Works for me on Key Bridge all the time ;-)

A

·
0 Posts
Well I had it in the map pouch on the tankbag. It would not register up here. I called the office and they said that they should be mounted in a close to vertical direction. ( like in a car).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Augie said:
Well I had it in the map pouch on the tankbag. It would not register up here. I called the office and they said that they should be mounted in a close to vertical direction. ( like in a car).
How did you have it in your tank bag? Label side up as you would see it from your windsheild? or Backside up (the side with the velcro strips). As long as I have it back side up so that the beacon is pointing toward the receiver on the toll booths it usually works pretty well.

A

·
0 Posts
radon_strommer said:
Augie said:
How did you have it in your tank bag? Label side up as you would see it from your windsheild? or Backside up (the side with the velcro strips). As long as I have it back side up so that the beacon is pointing toward the receiver on the toll booths it usually works pretty well.
I had it label side up. I will try what you suggest this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ez pass simple mount

If you call the MTA in new york, they manage the ez-pass. Ask them for the mounting strips they will mail them to you for free. What they are are clear 3m strips that mount on to the visor and on to the ez pass kind of like a industral velcro strip. I use them and they are great put the ez pass on when you need it and pop it off when you don't. You can not even see the strips when it is off. never falls off even on dirt roads.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you go through the Baltimore Harbor tunnel and the thing does not go off don't go through! They just charged me 2.00 for the toll and a $15.00 Administrative fee. The next time it does not go off I am stopping the bike, getting off and walking into the administrations building, that should tick them off sufficently for my extra $15 dollars. I had a Toll Cop wave me through and then they sent me a fine. Nope not ever again. So if you see a blue 650 in front of you with a silver top case and big soft saddlebags pick another lane because it may be a long wait. I hate it when the government makes you a criminal for trying to do the right thing. I have only had the problem three times in two years of commuting but a 15 dollar administrative fee really ticks me off. It is pure and simple a money maker. Ok I vented and I feel better now, not! :x

·
Registered
84 Posts
So if you see a blue 650 in front of you with a silver top case and big soft saddlebags
Hey... you just described my bike to a tee.... and that could be me too sitting at the tunnel toll booth :lol:

Question... is your bike registered on the tag? I go through all the time without the tag, especially when switching back and forth between my bike and truck for commuting. It never fails, the tag is always on the OTHER vehicle lol. I have not gotten the adminstration fee charge yet, just get whacked for the full $2 dollar toll and the commuter plan $0.40.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No man I always have the tag with me. I do switch back and forth between my bike and my Matrix but I always have it with me. 95% of the time it works but for some reason every now and then it just does not function or the green light goes twice most of the time. For the first time or two they only make you pay the 2 bucks but after the second time they burn you for an extra 15 bucks. It really is a crappy system. In Jersey, NY and Virginia I never have a problem and you can go through the booth doing 60 mph why do you have to do 15 mph in MD? Because they bought the lowest priced system sensors. I used to work for the State and they are clueless. On a happy note maybe I will see you as we pass by around Baltimore. I have met another StromTrooper that is from DC. We are going to do a ride next Saturday morning from Laurel out west a little then up towards the PA line and back to Baltimore by lunchtime. I have to quit at lunch time but you are more than welcomed to join us. We are going to meet at the McDonalds at Rt 198 and I 295 Balto Wash Parkway at 8 am if the weather is nice. PM me if your interested.
Jag

A

·
0 Posts
OK so I woosed out and put it on my windshield. Made it from MA to DC via the GSP, NJTPK, Delaware and MD tolls, 895 tunnel and the Key Bridge with no problems

Gotta love NJ for being able to go through the lanes at spped instead of having to slow down to a crawl.

·
Registered
383 Posts
ah yes, love the "express ez pass" in NJ but a caveat. . .don't change lanes while they are paintev solid lines leading up to or after the toll "bridge" even if it is to avoid a broken down car. there are cameras up on those posts. don't ask me how i learned the hard way, court date on the 28th!
Strom On!
Alex

1 - 16 of 16 Posts