StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fighting with a few stubborn tires and not having a 3rd hand I finally hit me why not get a foot valve and clip on air tire chuck.

Off to Amazon for a $17.99 FV320 foot valve and $3.49 HF for a clip on chuck.

All I can say is why did I wait so long to do this. Now I can clip-on the chuck hit the wawa pedal and work the bead with 2 free hands.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
This is for when the bead does not want to set I guess? Looks like it would be fairly heavy on the stem, just need to set it up right I suppose. Great idea.

I had trouble with a car tire once, stood it up and bounced it a few times and then it set OK.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
When I fitted tires for a living we would remove the guts of the valve before trying to seat the bead.

For stubborn ones a ratchet strap around the tread would push the beads out to meet the rim and speed things up.

I now use the ratchet strap trick when fitting tubes, it gives me more room to move and easier to get the tube in place.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep ratchet straps at the ready and from time to time have had to use them. I've also done the tire bounce to help splay out the bead so it'll seat. Standing the tire upright and pushing it down with your chest while trying to fill it with air rocking it back and forth to get the bead to start holding air. Standing the tire up and throwing you thigh on it and rolling forward/backwards while contorting your self to get the chuck on the valve stem. No mas!

·
Registered
744 Posts
When I fitted tires for a living we would remove the guts of the valve before trying to seat the bead.

For stubborn ones a ratchet strap around the tread would push the beads out to meet the rim and speed things up.

I now use the ratchet strap trick when fitting tubes, it gives me more room to move and easier to get the tube in place.
The ratchet straps really work to move both tire beads to the rim and allow fast seating of the bead on the rim. :wink2:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Love the foot valve idea!

I picked up a hand valve with clip-on, pressure gauge and air release valve a couple of years ago. Its was such an improvement for doing regular tire pressure checks that I made my friend buy one. Fire up compressor, attach clip-on, check pressure, add a little air, release a little air if you overshoot...done.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I change all my own tires and for some of my friends, never felt the need for something like this? Do you typically have issues with seating the tire? I don't think i've ever had a problem with that and I just use a cheap air compressor in the 12 volt of the bike :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Your best friend for seating the bead and tire changing in general is a thorough bead lube.
I have found that liquid dishwashing soap works very well.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I change all my own tires and for some of my friends, never felt the need for something like this? Do you typically have issues with seating the tire? I don't think i've ever had a problem with that and I just use a cheap air compressor in the 12 volt of the bike :)

Most of the tires I have done simply airing up is enough to get the bead to set. Some of them do need a little manipulation or a ratchet strap and twice I was not able to set the bead with my compressor.

1. Was a Harley wheel
2. Was a Burgman scooter wheel

TAC PRO,

Excess lube is not the answer a high volume of air to quickly balloon out the tire bead to contact the wheel bead and make a seal is the answer.

I can pour 12 bottle of soap on a tire and if there is a 1/4" air space between the tire and rim the bead will not begin to seal.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Thank you for the tips! I cursed, bitched and skinned my knuckles through a Shinko 804 that just wouldn't pop. Drove me nuts.

1. Rachet strap
2. Clip on chuck and foot valve

That would been good information to have. I swore off changing my tires after that episode.

·
Registered
63 Posts
With a ratchet strap around the circumference, I just use a gas station air pump since I have no compressor. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just did an AX41 front and had one little section of bead that would not pop. Ended up with close to 90psi before it finally seated. Not sure if this would've helped or not.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I have a "stuck" bead I will deflate the tire apply a mist of lube to the tire and bead in the that area then give it another try. Some tires just take lots of pressure I've had a few the took well over 100 PSI to get the bead to pop. When the bead pops at these pressures its makes about an "A" sharp.

Most of the tires I've done set a between 15 and 50 PSI.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Did that half a dozen times. Kept hanging up at the same place. Rim was smooth, tire was smooth.

·
Registered
269 Posts
One thing that can cause bead seating problems is a tiny speck of dirt lodged between the bead and rim. This will cause an air leak that will bleed enough pressure to prevent bead seating.
It helps to run a thin piece of plastic, about credit card size, around the rim between the rim and bead to dislodge any dirt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been changing tires with a few friends for the last five or six years. Maybe 75 to 100 tires. Only had one we could not get to seat. Had to take it to a tire store. They tried conventional seating methods, then used a bead blaster. So I bought one and have not had to use it yet. It will seat the toughest beads though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts