StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Signal Dynamics Diamond Star headlight modulator and want to modulate both headlights. I looked at the wiring diagrams to connect it to both headlights and am a little worried. The instructions say to supply both bulbs through the modulator unit and its tiny gauge wires.

Has anyone done this? Any problems? Did you lose some light from internal resistance? I want both headlights to modulate but don't want to overload the 20-22 gauge wires that are supplied. I am thinking about using the modulator to modulate a relay that then in turn modulates the headlights' supply voltages. However I don't know if relays have a fast enough response time to keep up with modulation. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I purchased and installed the dual modulator kit from eastern beaver. It came all hooked up, PLUG n PLAY...

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
#20 wire is good for 11 amps in free air. #22 is good for 7 amps. (2) 55 watt lamps at 12 volts would be 9.17 amps (at 13.8 volts they would be 7.97 amps). The 55 watt rating is nominal to. Some might be slightly more, some slightly less. Personally I wouldn't run that much current through wires that small.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is Patrick from Signal Dynamics. We actually use 16 gauge wiring on all of our modules to allow up 22 amps to be drawn. Main reason we do this is the module can support up to 4 headlights (something like a Goldwing for example) which has 2 highs and 2 lows. The module itself is able to sustain up to 130 watts at any given time (as indicated on the instructions).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts