StromTrooper banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
I got a bit of conductive thread, and sewed some into the glove (left index). Make sure it's touching your finger inside the glove, and is protruding outside the glove. For neatness you can stitch along a seam, but you can also simply stitch through the leather/fabric. This works on any capacitive screen which most phones have.

Making a Glove Work With a Touch Screen: 3 Steps (with Pictures)

Works a treat for the few button presses you might do while riding - accepting a modified route, or answering a phone call (BT headset). For complex stuff I'm going to find a safe place to stop and take my gloves off anyway.

·
Administrator
13,374 Posts
Samsung S8. I have it on a Ram Mount Quick Grip on the AdventureTech Over the dash mount. The phone is water and dust proof. I have a 12v charger I run to it to charge while riding
Awesome! How long long (time and mileage) has it been mounted on the bike?

How well does it work with soaking wet gloves? Is it still dust and waterproof when plugged in? Does it overheat when in the direct sun on 80 and 90° days?

Is it micro-USB? I have found that the Micro USB is a bit iffy when subjected to vibration etc. (I suspect USB-C is better.)

Would be great it if actually performs as well as the Garmin GPS units. There is lots of promise out there and I know of a number of people that have tried using cell phones for GPS units but virtually all of the riders that actually ride a lot went back to a dedicated gps. Especially if they ride in other than perfect weather.

..Tom

·
Registered
443 Posts
Awesome! How long long (time and mileage) has it been mounted on the bike?

How well does it work with soaking wet gloves? Is it still dust and waterproof when plugged in? Does it overheat when in the direct sun on 80 and 90° days?

Is it micro-USB? I have found that the Micro USB is a bit iffy when subjected to vibration etc. (I suspect USB-C is better.)

Would be great it if actually performs as well as the Garmin GPS units. There is lots of promise out there and I know of a number of people that have tried using cell phones for GPS units but virtually all of the riders that actually ride a lot went back to a dedicated gps. Especially if they ride in other than perfect weather.

..Tom
No issues so far. Been through 6hr frog stranglers,The phone is IP68 rated. Now I will note where it is at, behind my windscreen, it doesn't directly rained on. If you like a handlebar mount, that may be different. As for heat, I love in Florida and it sits on it every day. 90 degrees is a cool day for us right now LOL. Its is USB-C not micro USB, As for working with wet gloves, it absolutely does, but again my gloves are touch screen compatible.

I had the same setup with my previous phone, Samsung S6. So far both have worked flawless for me. I just like the simplicity of not having multiple devices. The phone can do gps and give verbal directions, play music, I can respond to texts verbally (speech to text), etc.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Would be great it if actually performs as well as the Garmin GPS units.
Huh??? A recent android phone is far beyond anything garmin has ever built and many garmins have failed and many phones have failed...but so far mine have worked great and for functions and user interface there is no comparison...not even close.

Learn these apps and you will see...I promise.
locus pro
back country navigator
osmand+
can your garmin warn you about johnny law...don't forget waze
maps.me (iphone)

then there are very powerful web based apps for routing I already listed. For long trips, get a $200 HP 11" laptop and you have everything on the road and do not need basecamp.

The real source for all this Mapping & Navigation | Adventure Rider

I have been using a moto g 3rd gen $50 in a dry pouch and it works fine but the pouch can be hard to see due to reflection...so I just ordered a refurbished samsung S5 neo $114...which is ip67 waterproof and one of the phones which can be charged in heavy rain because the charging port is also sealed. Will run it on a ram x mount and should be ok. If you have the bucks the new samsung s8 I think is the only ip68 rated phone now. iphone 7 is ip67. No phone maker will actually cover water damage. Have you tried to get a fried garmin fixed?...I heard it's a nightmare.

Look for phones ip67 or ip68.

ps...can a garmin dim your helmet speaker music and give you voice turn by turn on a gpx track...not route...track? Can a garmin give you instant satellite view offline while following a .gpx track where no cell service exists, can a garmin display thousands of free HD maps with contour hill shading...Osmand+ does this very well....I can keep going but you really should just try it out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have to agree, very strongly, it's easy to out do a GPS with a decent phone. I mount mine in a Ram X Grip, mounted on adventure tech over the dash mount, perfect. It's not going to fall off. Powered from my USB socket on the dash. Would also recommend the app Maps.Me for off line maps - free and very good

·
Administrator
13,374 Posts
Huh??? A recent android phone is far beyond anything garmin has ever built and many garmins have failed and many phones have failed...but so far mine have worked great and for functions and user interface there is no comparison...not even close.

I have an Android phone so am very familiar with it. I have mapping apps and Waze on it (and on my iPads) and am familiar with them. The phone apps are a good backup that I have in case something happens to my GPS units.

I like that the Garmin's simply work in any condition, don;'t need to be fiddled with and can be counted on. Do you have a Garmin 660 or 590?

My Garmin 660 is something like 7 or 8 years old. Just after I got it the unit fell off the mount. Garmin was very quick to get me both a replacement phone and a replacement mount. My wife got me a Garmin 590 a couple of years ago so I have both mounted. The 590 has a wonderfully integrated traffic app that works quite well. It also has Weather app with weather radar and can display traffic cameras. This all works very well while riding for the 25,000 to 30,000 miles a year I ride.

I stopped using Tracks to navigate when I last used my Garmin eMap. I am not an off-road guy so much of that doesn't matter but I understand there are topographical maps from both Garmin and third parties that can be loaded. Why would I want voice instructions when riding a track? I barely use voice navigation on roads.

Music dimming? My audio system has been doing that for the last seven or 8 years. It also mixes my AM/FM/Weather radio, my iPod, the FRS/GMRS Radio (when I use it) and could connect my phone directly (when I last used the phone I connected it through my Garmin using Bluetooth. Worked fine but I don't like talking on the phone when riding so don't do that now.)

As I said I am happy that phones are getting closer to, and in some ways exceeding, dedicated GPS units. In the past virtually every rider I knew that did a fair amount of riding stopped using their phones and went back to a dedicated GPS unit and perhaps that is now changing.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Wishful thinking Tom...old dogs and new tricks comes to mine.

Show me the standalone GPS that will do this..and you don't have to touch a thing.

With Siri and Apple's built-in Maps, you know longer have to stop, type, and search for directions. You can simply tell Siri where you want to go, and you'll get a route to go right there. It's great if you're in a new area of town or traveling in a new city. And if you get lost, you can even ask Siri to take you home.

·
Administrator
13,374 Posts
Wishful thinking Tom...old dogs and new tricks comes to mine.

Quote:
With Siri and Apple's built-in Maps, you know longer have to stop, type, and search for directions. You can simply tell Siri where you want to go, and you'll get a route to go right there. It's great if you're in a new area of town or traveling in a new city. And if you get lost, you can even ask Siri to take you home.

Show me the standalone GPS that will do this..and you don't have to touch a thing.
No question it is a great thing is that matters to you.

I can hit the "HOME" button on my GPS very quickly and easily (two or three taps depending where I am.) I can also do the same for searches I have stored or for favorite places (like Work, My mom's, etc)

FWIW I can talk to the Garmin Connect app on my phone and have it find addresses or points of interest and send to my GPS. It certainly is easy to enter addresses or search for points of interest while riding which is what I am most likely to do (ie looking for gas station, restaurant etc. on my route ahead.)

As I said it's great that phones are getting even better all the time and great that the latest models have various degrees of water resistance. When I am flying south I now use my phone to do the GPS stuff I used to do with one of my GPS units (ie ground speed, location, altitude, etc.) It works just fine.

My Phone, My iPads, my desktop Computer, my Netbook (and even my GPS units) all have calculators in them. The computers have spreadsheets and I am very literate in using spreadsheets. When I am sitting at my desk with a client and need to calculate something I generally reach for my calculator.

Sometimes you just want a calculator.

..Tom

·
Registered
425 Posts
As I said I am happy that phones are getting closer to, and in some ways exceeding, dedicated GPS units.
..Tom
I want to learn. Please tell me one thing a Garmin top off the line...any garmin can do that an android can't? I'm sure there are many but i would like to know?

I do understand if you don't ride offroad it works for you fine and is simple. Do you remove it when parked? I would worry it would be stolen.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tom...I just noticed your boycott photobucket. I'm adding that too. I believe those knuckleheads punted the future utility of this whole site. I can't believe the owners of this site are unwilling or unable to resolve that and all pics are gone. They are both at fault. I use shutterfly and have almost 30k pictures...all free...but I guess they could jangle it up someday too.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Guys let it go!

The OP was looking for help. This should not be jet another useless discussion of phone vs GPS.

Yes the Garmin comes out with a simple click and stays put no matter where you ride. But you really did not want to know that - right?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts