StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Try the Scenic app. You may be able to plan what you want on your phone. I'm in CA so my computer wouldn't be much help since it's at the end of your journey.
I would have a lot to upload about CA alone and your local input would also be appreciated, let me know if you'd be willing to meet say early September... More or less

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Welcome to STromtrooper ... sorry about the rough greeting, but people can be fairly protective of their computers, for the same reasons you can't install Basecamp at a library.

Have you tried Furkot ? It lets you download the .gpx file and save it to your SD card ... you can do that from any computer!
I do have an SD card with me and will try this out at a library real soon (is furniture only a website or something that needs to be installed?)

·
Administrator
13,483 Posts
The issue is the uploading to my Garmin GPS which absolutely require basecamp (as far as I know)

I don't think I have tried it with the 590 but certainly could just copy routes to the 660. I suspect the 590 would do it as well but will have to try it to be sure.

..Tom

·
Registered
443 Posts
So I don't have a fancy-schmancy Garmin. I get by on my back road trips using my phone's GPS and a good old fashioned Rand McNally. You can download maps from google and navigate offline even. What's the big deal about using the garmin?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I would have a lot to upload about CA alone and your local input would also be appreciated, let me know if you'd be willing to meet say early September... More or less

Thanks

We'll see if our schedules work out. I'm willing to help you out if I'm available.
Let me know when you narrow down your arrival. I'm in the High Desert off the 15 freeway half way between Las Vegas and Los Angeles

·
Administrator
13,483 Posts
So I don't have a fancy-schmancy Garmin. I get by on my back road trips using my phone's GPS and a good old fashioned Rand McNally. You can download maps from google and navigate offline even. What's the big deal about using the garmin?
Able to use in rain, snow, sleet, hail, extreme Heat, cold, dark able to use with gloves on, able to find nearest points of interest (like gas or hotel) never worrying about battery going dead or overheating, not worrying about vibration, (on later versions) seeing weather ahead including radar seeing traffic and having it re-route around.

Apart from that the phone and the Paper maps work great!

..Tom

·
Registered
443 Posts
Able to use in rain, snow, sleet, hail, extreme Heat, cold, dark able to use with gloves on, able to find nearest points of interest (like gas or hotel) never worrying about battery going dead or overheating, not worrying about vibration, (on later versions) seeing weather ahead including radar seeing traffic and having it re-route around.

Apart from that the phone and the Paper maps work great!

..Tom
My phone does all that too... :grin2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Everybody definitely got his favorite routing tools I am a fan of the Butler's map although a map covers a small area and it gets expensive for a trip across the country.

That's why I like rever so much they offer all of the Butler's mapping with such a nice and simple routing plateforme only thing is... Oh well you already know my struggle :D

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have been lost very few times.Lots of times did not know where I was.:grin2: The bunch I ride with the most do not want me to lead.I do not know where I am half the time and could care less.All so I get there too fast.:surprise:

·
Registered
425 Posts
forget basecamp there are many workarounds

go to library and open https://www.google.com/maps/d/ this is NOT google maps but another version called "google my maps" that allows you to do routing. Make your route. Export the KML file from this to the desktop. Use https://www.gpsbabel.org/ to convert it to gpx. and install that to your garmin.

or you can do it all in more powerful products
GPS Visualizer: Freehand Drawing Utility: Draw on a map and save GPX data
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.8,-98.4&z=5&b=mbt

these are all online and very advanced...why struggle with the basecamp jangle.

just get a sd card to thumb drive reader and this can be done in any library or fedex office.

...and last resort you could go to any Costco buy the cheapest laptop do your thing and return it in an hour...kind of rental but I would only do this because I spend huge money there anyway...a bit jive.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
The issue is the uploading to my Garmin GPS which absolutely require basecamp (as far as I know)
No, you can use Tyre (and probably other software) or you can even just copy the GPX file ,as long as you know into which directory on the Garmin (that will show up as an additional drive on the PC) to copy to.

·
Registered
425 Posts
This is exactly why a $70 Android running a cheap pro nav app like locus pro is light years from any Garmin hardware. A Montana is not even scratching the surface of functionality and user interface...And we all know how great basecamp is ;)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I got caught up in planning a route a few years ago. After wanting to shove basecamp where the sun does not shine, I decided to lay out a tenative route on Furkot, then each day punch in a location along that route and just let the gps take me there via all secondary roads. I keep a atlas in the tail box for double checking things. No stress since the route is variable and changeable at a whim. Furkot also can locate campgrounds or motels in a radius around any point on the map which is handy come about 2-3pm each day.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I got caught up in planning a route a few years ago. After wanting to shove basecamp where the sun does not shine, I decided to lay out a tenative route on Furkot, then each day punch in a location along that route and just let the gps take me there via all secondary roads. I keep a atlas in the tail box for double checking things. No stress since the route is variable and changeable at a whim. Furkot also can locate campgrounds or motels in a radius around any point on the map which is handy come about 2-3pm each day.

Can Furkot do all this planning on a phone or do you need access to a computer?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My phone does all that too... :grin2:
I just bought a phone mount for my handlebars and used my Moto X with it along with my garmin which is always there and was surprised how much I liked having the phone/maps. But the one thing that you can't do with the phone is use gloves, which makes it a pain to use while riding.
I also have it plugged in to a charger while riding.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just bought a phone mount for my handlebars and used my Moto X with it along with my garmin which is always there and was surprised how much I liked having the phone/maps. But the one thing that you can't do with the phone is use gloves, which makes it a pain to use while riding.
I also have it plugged in to a charger while riding.
My gloves are touchscreen compatible( Alpinestars SMX-1 for summer and Alpinestars Apex for winter)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts