StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a roll from mtl to Cali and I was hoping one could lend me a hand (and a private computer for a few minutes).
I recently discovered how much good the rever website and app can do to help me with my routing, however I need access to a personal computer to download the Garmin basecamp and export all my work into my GPS.

Anyone along the way (currently Montgomery Alabama (13) then new Orleans (14-15-16 or so) then on my way towards Austin TX...

That would be greatly appreciated since no libraries wathsoever let you download anything on their machines.

Let me know
Be safe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
This sounds like a scam. I would not advise anyone to give control of your computer to this person.

At most, download the .gpx file to your computer and send him an email with a .gpx attachment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah like I go across country to hack random people's computer...

So much for the welcoming community feel pal keep it up ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need the garmin basecamp software installed somewhere in order to upload to my gps..

Helpful replies will be greatly appreciated
Cheers

·
Registered
670 Posts
Welcome to STromtrooper ... sorry about the rough greeting, but people can be fairly protective of their computers, for the same reasons you can't install Basecamp at a library.

Have you tried Furkot ? It lets you download the .gpx file and save it to your SD card ... you can do that from any computer!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm on a roll from mtl to Cali and I was hoping one could lend me a hand (and a private computer for a few minutes).
I recently discovered how much good the rever website and app can do to help me with my routing, however I need access to a personal computer to download the Garmin basecamp and export all my work into my GPS.

Anyone along the way (currently Montgomery Alabama (13) then new Orleans (14-15-16 or so) then on my way towards Austin TX...Let me know Be safe
Try over here: North Alabama Riders | Adventure Rider

·
Registered
14,886 Posts
Biglarry, don't get upset. We've had scammers and such with few posts come and go.
If you spent any time on this forum you'd realize there is a rapport built over a period of time.
Sometimes the way a question is asked will get a different response.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Larry I have Basecamp on my computer and you're welcome to come use it, but I'm in South central Missouri, probably a good day out of your way.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Why not start a Windows instance with a cloud provider such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure? You then have your own Windows system which you can access via VNC, which can be done from a tablet or such. On that Windows system you can install anything you want, run anything you want, and import/export anything you want. When done, delete the instance.

If you stay within the "free tier" (Amazon term; Microsoft will have something similar) this'll even be free. Otherwise, for a small Windows system, a few cents per day.

Heck, if you have a tablet with VNC I can setup a Windows machine on Amazon for you within my own account, for a few days. My treat.

(If you only have a mobile phone then you can run VNC as well, but it'll be extremely awkward due to the small screen size. Or you can go to a public library and see if they have a VNC client installed on their machines.)

Edited: On second thought, yes, you can use a remote Windows instance to convert all sorts of stuff, but obviously you won't be able to connect your actual physical GPS unit via USB to that Windows instance. Unless you have a local computer and some sort of USB forwarding feature, but then you wouldn't need a remote computer in the first place. So if you actually need your GPS unit to connect to the Windows system, this remote solution won't work.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts

So much for the welcoming community feel pal keep it up ;)
On second thought, I would guess that you are legitimate. However, as a first-time poster, you are asking people to let a complete stranger in their house to use their personal computer. Most likely, the computer has sensitive and financial information. I would advise anyone to not allow this. It is just not a smart thing to allow.

Could you use a .gpx file generated for your route by someone else?

·
Administrator
13,392 Posts
This isn't a free answer but might be helpful at a cost.

I have been happily using my old netbook for long rides for those rare time I might want to use mapsource or Base Camp. It's a useful device that has long battery life, works well, and is roughly the size of my iPads but much more useful.

There is a bit of a resurgence of simple windows 10 machines that are very small and portable. The typically have 32 gigs of storage (mmc) but you could easily plug in a USB stick to add more starve. In Canada they can be had for less than $300 and I'm sure must be a lot less down there. Ian

Perhaps grabbing one on the road might solve your immediate issue and also be a handy companion on future rides.

..Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So much for the welcoming community feel pal keep it up
On second thought, I would guess that you are legitimate. However, as a first-time poster, you are asking people to let a complete stranger in their house to use their personal computer. Most likely, the computer has sensitive and financial information. I would advise anyone to not allow this. It is just not a smart thing to allow.

Could you use a .gpx file generated for your route by someone else?
The issue is the uploading to my Garmin GPS which absolutely require basecamp (as far as I know)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts