StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New DL1K owner here who spent quite a few miles splittin' on my maiden voyage last wkend. Instead of posting what issues I have w/the Strom I thought I'd just see what other CA Strommers did (if anything) to their bike *specifically* for lanesplitting. It's quite good as is but also think it has potential to be a great lane splitter. I know you're out there so pony up those mods/farkles for Stromette here.

L

·
0 Posts
I commute into and through central London on a daily basis and can't say that the bike needs any modifying at all.
I find that the bars are above the level of most car wing mirrors, and that it is only vans that pose a problem. Most of their mirrors fold back when you hit them, so it's not a problem 8) (only kidding, I very rarely knock mirrors!)

What kind of mods did you have in mind?
(Is it bad that I find gaps get bigger the faster you ride?)

D

·
0 Posts
Hi Stromette, congrats on your new DL! Good to know you went all out on the 1000. 8)
I lane split often, and found the only real issue is pickup truck mirrors; they are about the same height as our 'Stroms. I've "kissed" a few on the way by and experienced 'the finger' from a few...oh well. Just wave and keep on truckin' :wink:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I split about 10-15 miles a day, every day, on my 650. The seating position is just high enough, and I can still plant both feet when I need to. I do use the "flash to pass" feature a ton. I hit it about every 5 seconds when splitting.
I am thinking about a headlight modulator, though I like the "when I need it" aspect of the "ftp". A fellow commuter on his FZ6 uses the emergency flashers when splitting. I think that is illegal, so I do not use them.

I do really like one aspect of the modulator. When you hit the horn, the high beam flashes. I would like to see that become standard on all bikes. Saves having to "hover" over two switches. Maybe someone here has a fix?

I added the factory "knuckle guards" on my 650. Swiped a few mirrors on my old bike, these are invaluable. Your 1000 has them already, though, so no mods to date.

On one 4 (2 each side) lane I use highway the 18 wheelers are prone to use lane #1. They take a little extra "ftp". So far so good though, just swing between the suv mirrors, and enjoy the advantage of 2 wheeled commuting.

This bike replaced a KLR650, which I modified with a Supertrapp exhaust. Tried the "loud pipes save lives" thing. Turns out all that loud stuff just annoyed/startled the people I already passed, rarely even getting the attention of the drivers ahead. IMHO, the tech side of this bike is a huge advantage.

Welcome! :)

K

·
0 Posts
well, its illegal down here...but that doesnt keep me from doing it :twisted:
anyway...i havnt had any issues with my 650, both on 4 laners and 2 laners 8) ...as long as i remember NOT to split when i have my side cases on (GIGANTIC e46s) i'm fine... havnt forgotten yet

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: lane splitting

CStromRun said:
i just put my high beams and hazard flashers on and go!
Watch the flashers :!: using them for splitting lanes is illegal as they are for emergency use only.
Just tap your flash to pass every few seconds, works better than constant high beam for attention.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
STROMETTE said:
New DL1K owner here who spent quite a few miles splittin' on my maiden voyage last wkend. Instead of posting what issues I have w/the Strom I thought I'd just see what other CA Strommers did (if anything) to their bike *specifically* for lanesplitting. It's quite good as is but also think it has potential to be a great lane splitter. I know you're out there so pony up those mods/farkles for Stromette here.
The 650 V-Stom needs no modifications for "lane sharing" because it's already perfect. :lol:

I lane split on I-405 and I-5 almost everyday. Here in CA splitting is tolerated by most of the driving pubic. Just be careful and super aware of cars when passing and keep in mind what you are doing is inherently dangerous. If done properly it's a great way to beat the slow traffic. It's the best part about owning a bike in SoCal.

Steve

R

·
0 Posts
I think the gearing on the 1000 is a bit tall for lane sharing and stop and go traffic, and other things as well. I am going to go with either a larger rear sprocket, smaller front or maybe both. When sharing I find that I am either going along with higher revs in 1st, lugging in 2nd, or going faster than I want to to keep 2nd from lugging.

I have a Givi v46 trunk. I don't like sharing with bags...that always bothered me with the Concours.

I also plan on getting louder exhaust. A courtesy rev seems to work well to get cars out of the way, and the stock pipes are way too quiet for that.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the gearing on the 1000 is a bit tall for lane sharing and stop and go traffic, and other things as well. I am going to go with either a larger rear sprocket, smaller front or maybe both. When sharing I find that I am either going along with higher revs in 1st, lugging in 2nd, or going faster than I want to to keep 2nd from lugging.

I have a Givi v46 trunk. I don't like sharing with bags...that always bothered me with the Concours.

I also plan on getting louder exhaust. A courtesy rev seems to work well to get cars out of the way, and the stock pipes are way too quiet for that.
Try 43t rear (+2) to cure several ills.:D It's one of the top changes I did to my DL1k and something that I'd never consider reversing back to stock. I've spent many, many miles lane-splitting and have found the Strom to be well suited except I wasn't a fan of stock brakes while splittin' (now run SS lines and upgraded pads). Vision is great on the bike as is visibility especially w/a headlight modulator. I have a V46 as well as soft saddlebags (Nelson Rigg SB-900)... the soft bags are forgiving whereas hard bags will bounce you (I'm sure you know what I mean); another reason I'm a fan of softbags.

Stromette

·
Registered
297 Posts
I probably shouldn't even type this and tempt fate, but I often run to work (49 miles each way) with my full set of Hepco Becker aluminum bags, and I've had no problem lane splitting here on CA's beautiful Central Coast. Now, there are certainly times when it's too skinny between the larger trucks to make it (usually in town approaching red lights), but the highway runs are nearly as effecient as when I just have the tail case attached. I've noticed that when a driver checks his mirror and sees a Black Strom with aluminum cases comin' at 'em, they do tend to give me some room (it's gotta either be out of concern for vehicular damage, or they think I'm a cop!).

I agree with the others who've posted here that a courtesy rev and the occaisional high-beam flash will help clear the path.

Final thought: I have some cool Ken Sean folding mirrors on my XT225 that might fit the Strom:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=115&productId=p391305&leafCatId=11508&mmyId

They fold at the arm, so the position of the mirror is right where it was when you fold them back after splitting. I'll check the application later and will edit this post if I find that they work...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I originally got these 9" wide panniers for my California bike:

Problem was I was dragging them on the ground in turns. And they were too wide to split lanes comfortably. So I switched them out for some 7.5's:

Now I split with abandon.

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
...er, (embarrassed)...I haven't checked yet...it's a 10mm bolt pattern, though. I know that much!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Atomic Spew, just wondering if you tried those mirrors yet ?
they seem small surface wise ( I looked at the picture on DK's site) jist wonder'd if they stay in place where you set them and do they have an adj. for tension

"Every time Bush tells a lie, GOD kills a kitty..."
At the rate He's going, we'll have about 600 kittys left by jan of 09.
Yup kitty's on the Endangered Species list.......who'd a thunk it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Changed the light bulbs to Osram Silverstars, installed headlight relays. Made the whole system MUCH brighter. But, to top it off, I installed a high beam modulator which modulates the high beams 4 times per second, between 18% and 100%. This greatly increases the number of cagers who get outta the way.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Folding Mirrors

Hey guys-
You've probably given up on me, and frankly I forgot to come back to post a reply. The particular Ken Sean mirrors I have on our XT225 do NOT fit the bolt pattern for the V-Strom, and it doesn't appear there are any other versions for various applications--just the one for a Yamaha. Too bad, cause they're pretty keen.

To answer your other questions VtStrom, yes, they mirrors snap right back in place, and there is an adjustment for tension, achieved with a triple-nut tightning system. The mirror itself is about 4 1/2" in diameter (including mirror housing, which isn't a lot of extra material). Not huge, but not as small as they appear online.

Oh well, I'm happy to have them on the XT...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts