Here is my intro post over in the general forum.
I am finally off and running on my winter project to go through my recently acquired K7 DL650A. It was maintained (wear items only) but not serviced so there is a lot of work to do to get it ready for the Spring. I bought it the day before Halloween but the project was delayed for a weekend or two since the weather was so great in early November, low 70's, that I had to ride it. First time on two wheels since college 30 years ago. What a thrill and I can't wait till Spring!
I thought I would start with something simple. However, before I could start I had to make some room so I repaired a couple of bicycles that were just taking up space in my garage and soon will be sold via craigslist. Who needs a peddle bicycle when you have a V-Strom? (rhetorical question, BTW).
Anyway, the PO dropped the bike and there was damage to the right front blinker, left rear blinker and the front brake lever and some cosmetic damage. The brake lever is a simple R&R and I don't have the part so I put that on hold. I decided to remove and inspect the left rear blinker stalk since I assumed it would need to be replaced. One of my goals was to start wading through a pile of old tools that I inherited and I figured removing the blinker stalk was a good place to start. I immediately discovered most of the tools are SAE not metric. So off to Home Depot I go to get metric hex sockets, hex T-bars and a pick and probe set all Husky brand. I don't know if they are any good but they were cheap at $35 total, all on sale for Christmas already. It took me a while but I also found a metric crescent wrench, but it wasn't on sale so that set me back a few dollars.
Using a youtube video for guidance, I was able to remove the rear fender and remove the rear left blinker stalk which was cracked. I had an old 25W soldering iron around and I used it to "weld" the crack in the stalk inside and out, and just to be sure, put some silicone sealant inside to prevent any leaks. Emboldened by this success, I decided to tackle the front right blinker stalk which was also cracked. I was able to weld the crack "in place" using my soldering iron to fix the front blinker stalk. The yellow lens was broke so I will need to track down one of those to finish that off.
The good news is that the project has officially started and I only burned my self twice with the solder iron. My plan is to work on the bike every Saturday until its done.