StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two weeks off at the end of March and beginning of March. I am planning on heading down to California for a week of 10 days of it to catch some rays and catch up on my seat time. I am coming down from Portland OR. Any must see places? And just ride roads? Any must ride off-road rides? I want to keep it at the lower-ish elevations to avoid snow/ cold. I have read that highway 36(?) from red bluff out to the coast is "one h*ll of a road" to ride. Yes, no???

Please give me some advice???
Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
In L.A. you gotta ride Highway 2 (Angeles Crest Hwy) all the way to Newcomb's Ranch and go to "The Snake" on Mulholland in Malibu.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Take your time getting down to LA. Make sure you take 280 south from San Francisco, then over to Skyline (Hwy 35), then to highway 9 down to Santa Cruz.

Take 1 south from Santa Cruz all the way through Big Sur at least. Riding through Big Sur is a must.

If you like red wine, head over to Paso Robles and check out Opolo and Tobin James wineries, two of the best.

In Santa Barbara, go over Gibraltar road, 7.7% grade up the Santa Ynez Mountains. Santa Barbara, CA: Gibraltar Road 48 | Bicycling in California

Also near Santa Barbara is Foxen Canyon Road, where you can visit Fess Parker's winery. Buy a bottle of their "Big Easy." Trust me.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Hwy 36 is a must do. 140 miles of twisties. Some of my other recommendations is Avenue of the Giants, Hwy 299, Alder Point Rd from Hwy 36 to Garberville, Hwy 1 from Ferndale southt, Hwy 128 if your looking for a cutoff from Hwy 1 over to Hwy 101.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I have plotted them all onto a map so I will try and piece them all into one.

Has anyone messed around in the lost coast area mountains?? Is it even open to motorbikes??
Cheers!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sweeeet!

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I have plotted them all onto a map so I will try and piece them all into one.

Has anyone messed around in the lost coast area mountains?? Is it even open to motorbikes??
Cheers!

South of Eureka, CA you'll hit Loleta, a bit south from there take 211 to Ferndale, then jump on Mattole Rd.

That'll take you out to portions of the "Lost Coast"

Mattole Rd. eventually turns into Bull Creek Flats Rd. and brings you back to the 101.

I'll be doing a short/quick ride the 1st weekend in April that'll bring me up to Tahoe, if your anywhere nearby.

·
Registered
14,443 Posts
If you are headed south, LA,not lower alabama, PM me and I'se got a crash pad and local roads if you have the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts