StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visiting my son in Costa Mesa in August. We are renting bikes for the day ( a Ducati monster 821 and Kawi 600 4 cylinder). We are picking up the bikes from OC MOTORCYCLE rentals in Newport Beach. Totally unfamiliar with California. Looking for a recommendation for a route to take for a day trip from Newport Beach. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
Since you are starting in the OC, I'd suggest staying south to save time and miles. HWY74 over the mountains to Lake Elsinore and up 76 to Palomar and out the east side and go to Julian.
You might want to check a Butler maps and see what they think is good or Pasnit.
Distance and traffic are deceiving. So day trips may take longer than you might expect.
Google earth search should show the terrain for you.
The coast route is a joke and traffic heavy, views be negligible.
Calif coast is not the Oregon coast and even on the Oregon coast, one must take all the turn offs to get to the beach.

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you are starting in the OC, I'd suggest staying south to save time and miles. HWY74 over the mountains to Lake Elsinore and up 76 to Palomar and out the east side and go to Julian.
You might want to check a Butler maps and see what they think is good or Pasnit.
Distance and traffic are deceiving. So day trips may take longer than you might expect.
Google earth search should show the terrain for you.
The coast route is a joke and traffic heavy, views be negligible.
Calif coast is not the Oregon coast and even on the Oregon coast, one must take all the turn offs to get to the beach.
Thanks guys, will do. Everyone says to drive up or down the coast, but I understand that now that it is not the thing to do. Will get out a CA map and check your rout Notacop, and look at pashnit. As usual, Stromtrooper is a great resource. :smile2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
As an escapee of Southern California, I do not recommend the coast. In the Orange County area, the coast (where you can ride along it at all) is infested with stoplights, surfers and strip malls. Not good riding, and a waste of those nice machines.

I echo the suggestion to take 74 up and over the mountains to Lake Elsinore, then down to Julian if you have time. Be careful on the highway back from Julian through Ramona to Poway, it can be very crowded and there have been some nasty wrecks along there. I wouldn't say to avoid it, but at the end of a long day of riding make sure you save some alertness for that stretch and make sure you know where you are going so you aren't distracted.

Enjoy the ride!

(And sometime you'll have to come up to Northern California, where the coast highway is some of the best riding in the country!)

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
Yah, going out 76 and then Julian and come back on 79 will give a sense of what San Diego Co has to offer.
Actually going out to the desert from Julian and coming out of Borrego Springs on Montezumas grade makes a nice circle.
Jilberto's in Borrego Springs is good for a Burrito too. I like the Veggie bomb.

I map checked my suggested route, it's about 300 miles.
A good three hour ride if you don't get caught.>:)

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys. One of the many pleasures of riding the Adirondacks of Upstate New York and adjacent Vermont is that there are no "issues". You just get out there and ride. I am for sure though, looking forward to riding the Monster 821, and riding California. :smile2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
yes out over ortega hwy(74) to the 76 is a nice rideyou have many options out that way for a good adventure. it will be hot so be prepared check out the ride to idylwild its great
Randy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yah, going out 76 and then Julian and come back on 79 will give a sense of what San Diego Co has to offer.
Actually going out to the desert from Julian and coming out of Borrego Springs on Montezumas grade makes a nice circle.
Jilberto's in Borrego Springs is good for a Burrito too. I like the Veggie bomb.

I map checked my suggested route, it's about 300 miles.
A good three hour ride if you don't get caught.>:)
This is pretty much the route that has gotten me interested in motorcycles again. I live close enough to do this ride any weekend I want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts