StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2015 DL650A California model which I brought to Singapore when I moved from the USA.

In order to register the bike Singapore requires to test it to verify it complies with the Euro 3 standard:
CO: Max 2.0 g/km
HC: Max 0.3 g/km
NOX: Max 0.15 g/km

It failed the first test with:
CO: 1.84 g/km
HC: 0.32 g/km (yes, 0.02g/km...)
NOX: 0.086 g/km

At first I thought the reason for this was that the bike was in storage for ~2 months before the test.
Then after some research I thought the culprit was the California evap recovery system that routes gas tank vapors back into the fuel mixture, possibly making it richer and increasing the amount of un-burnt fuel (Hydro-Carbons) in the exhaust.

So before the 2nd test I disconnected the tank vent from the canister, zip-tied it into the frame and plugged the canister input so there would be no air-flow from the evap recovery system back into the intake. I also ran the bike for about 30 minutes.

To my surprise the bike did worse after this!
CO: 2.60 g/km
HC: 0.50 g/km (yes, 0.02g/km...)
NOX: 0.12 g/km

Anyone has any ideas on how to fix this? Any information would help.

Thanks,
Pablo

G

·
Something different about the fuel over there??

How about new spark plugs? Did the CAT get damaged? Is the bike 100% stock motor wise?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention the bike has only 6k miles.
I performed the 7.5k mile service in advance before leaving US so oil, air filter and spark plugs should all be in good condition.

The technician told me they replace the gas with 100 octane fuel as part of the test procedure.

According to Wikipedia "European models meet Euro 3 emissions specifications. In the US, a "PAIR" air injection system reduces CO and HC emissions.", which makes sense considering my modification made CO and HC much worse.

Anyone knows what else is different in the EU model? Is it just the engine mapping or is there some extra hardware like a different catalytic converter?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Had this happen to me in Arizona years ago with a bike that had 4k miles on it. Turned out to be the air filter which I tried cleaning (old sponge foam type) and it still failed. Reading blog after blog and not wanting to give up I finally got it to pass by removing the air filter, having it tested then I put it back in again. Passed with flying colors without an airfilter! Now we don't need to test bike in AZ anymore....

G

·
My SV has the PAIR system. It lets airbox air into the exhaust stream.

DL doesn't have the PAIR system.

I like removing the air filter idea!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have no experience with motorcycle emission testing. When I've had similar problems on a car, running it til it gets nice and hot and leaving it idling prior to testing has helped. You want the CAT to be super hot so do not turn the vehicle off while waiting for the test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.