StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2018 V-Strom 650 XT coming up for it's 600 mile initial maintenance. The dealer quotes 300.00 because of the Throttle Body Synchronization part of the service. California is the only state requiring it. And I live in that state. Is it really necessary? I did buy the Shop manual and was surprised at the test equipment necessary to perform that task as well as disassembling the bike and running it without the tank in place. More than I think I'm comfortable with doing on my own. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes California is the only state it says to inspect the TBS at the 600 mile maintenance service. For everyone else it doesn’t come up until you hit 7500 miles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would not let the dealer do any service let alone an unnecessary tbs. Save your time and money. Change oil, check brake and coolant fluid levels, tire pressures, light function, inspect and lube throttle and clutch cable ends, torque battery terminals, Loctite and torque chain guard bolts, 2 front fairing mounting bolts, rear frame bolts in front of foot pegs, and engine ground wire under the front sprocket cover. Inspect all fasteners for looseness.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,206 Posts
Unless you notice a problem with the way the bike runs leave well enough alone. My 04 Wee has never had anyone mess with the sensitive parts and it still runs fine at 99K+ miles.
Dealers with personnel not well experienced can cause some grave issues that cost a lot to fix.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Agreed, leave it alone if it's running fine. California owner, recently did the 600 mile service myself. No need to pay $400 for and Oil change, Chain Lube, and visual inspection.

SB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys for the well heeded advice. I will perform my own 600 mile maintenance sans the TBS part and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
I purchased 2 new stroms in CA. an '09 and then I traded for a new '13. for the 600 mile service of both I changed oil & filter and went over all the bolts to check for loose ones. as I understand the tbs for 600 mile service on CA bikes is more of an air quality requirement thing by a government agency maybe by CARB? I think most of ignore it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts