StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchasing a new to me 2007 Wee. Already has racks on the rear...

I live where it rains most of the year...

I want some clothing storage for camping and am thinking some dry bags (soft luggage)

Due to my weight (280lbs) I dont want hard bags/cases

Has anybody ever welded a "skeleton" around there pannier racks??

I used to have a Kawasaki KZ1000Police model that had protective tubes/cages around the fiberglass saddlebags...

Seems like this may help protect the bike and also make a place to strop on some dry bags?????

Am I crazy, a cheapskate or???

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think that your idea will have drawbacks in cost and convenience. I say that with the admission that I have presented more than one ill-conceived idea on this forum.

I don't get why your weight is ruling out hard cases for you. FWIW, I am 6'1", weigh 230, and my jacket and pants fit into my 36-liter side cases from Caribou. This is Motoport mesh gear which is kind of thick, plus rainproof liners. They do fit snugly. As far as I know Caribou still offers 42-liter side cases also which may be a bit thicker.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cages

6'3" and 280 out of the shower... I am working on the weight!!

I was mainly trying to save weight and some money... (PS, I am an x KLR owner!!!)I have a small mig welder and thought I could be creative and thrifty...

plus maybe some protection from a fall??

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think hard cases is still the best way to go. I'm not sure you're going to save much weight by the time you add a cage around your soft cases. For a budget setup that is strong, look at the Pelican cases. There are numerous threads about how to set up these cases. Also take a look at the Givi E45 or E36 cases.

BTW, most of us V-Strom guys are a little crazy and definitely cheap-- so you fit right in!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet... Thanks Satch!

P38, Yep summer is amazing here... Its the other 9 months that gets a little damp.. and gray and cold...

Then again, just moved back here a year ago from Sunny Arizona... where the sun shines and bikes are ALOT cheaper!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts