Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about traveling from Northern Michigan over to Cape Breton to do the Cabot Trail next summer. As long as I'm there, I'd like to ferry over to Newfoundland for a few days.

Any advice on routes from Michigan to Cape Breton and ferry info would be a great help.

KKORO

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would not come down through Port Huron or Detroit. The traffic across Southern Ontario is difficult. I would cross at Sault Ste Marie and take either Highway 17 or 60 across the top of Ontario. Too much traffic south of there. Ottawa is interesting. At Ottawa, if you have enough time, head to Mount Tremblay and wind your way over to Trois Riviere or Quebec City to avoid Montreal traffic. Quebec City is worth a two night stop.

Nice trip!

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
That's good advice. Add Parc Mauricie into that route ...fantastic road through the park.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/qc/mauricie

You need a week for Newfoundland so anything short of 3 weeks for your trip will be tough.
And be aware the temps will be low in NL even in full summer.
Cape Breton, really the whole Maritime region has a short summer to deal with.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not come down through Port Huron or Detroit. The traffic across Southern Ontario is difficult. I would cross at Sault Ste Marie and take either Highway 17 or 60 across the top of Ontario. Too much traffic south of there. Ottawa is interesting. At Ottawa, if you have enough time, head to Mount Tremblay and wind your way over to Trois Riviere or Quebec City to avoid Montreal traffic. Quebec City is worth a two night stop.

Nice trip!
Living in Northern Michigan, I've done that Detroit or Port Huron route many times. Last summer I rode up to the Seguenay Fiord and the ride from Port Huron across was miserable. I did most of the places you mentioned on that trip. I tend to ride to stay away from cities, so I won't be stopping in any of the cities you mention. I've been to Ottawa a number of times. I like that city and enjoyed the atmosphere by the Rideau Canal.

I've done 17 across a number of times. Can't seem to find 60. My plan right now (I'm notorious for changing my plans in a heart beat -- even while on the trip) is to take 129 north out of Thessalon and hook up with 101 near Chapleau for the trip east. I've never been up there.

That's good advice. Add Parc Mauricie into that route ...fantastic road through the park.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/qc/mauricie

You need a week for Newfoundland so anything short of 3 weeks for your trip will be tough.
And be aware the temps will be low in NL even in full summer.
Cape Breton, really the whole Maritime region has a short summer to deal with.
I'll have, at least, all of June, maybe the whole summer. So, time won't be a problem. I did 5 weeks starting the last weekend in May this year on my Alaska trip and seem to have plenty of warm clothes. I take lots of layers!

I imagine I'll run into rain up there!

KKORO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ontario:
If you are looking for mostly highway style driving to get to your destination, then the 17/417 through Ontario is a good choice. The 17 is two-lane though, so keep your eyes open for left turning vehicles and oncoming traffic passing at inappropriate times. The 417 is divided but really busy from about 07:30am to 09:30am and 3:30 pm to about 6pm. Drop a line to me on here if you decide to overnight in Ottawa and maybe we could arrange a meet-up. I mad the trip to Cape Breton and around the trail on my Wee this summer. Here are my trip suggestions.

Quebec:
Taking the Hwy 40 to the Hwy 30 will allow you to bypass Montreal itself if you want to skip past, but expect some traffic at the toll booth and at the 30/20 interchange. Hwy 185 has some beautiful scenery.

New Brunswick:
The highway 2 runs the province border to border. It's boring, but it's the fastest way across. If you are looking for roadside attractions along the way, I suggest the walking trail to the falls at Grand Falls and/or the covered bridge at Hartland.

Nova Scotia:
The 104 is the major route, although you may want to take the old Rte 4 through Wentworth and Folly lake. It's a bit longer, but more interesting than the toll highway that bypasses it.

Once you get to Cape Breton, I HIGHLY recommend going up the East Side of the Island on Rte 4 rather than the Trans Canada on the West Side of the Island. It is more scenic in my opinion and the road itself is more interesting interms of turns and elevation changes. You can go across the 125 and 105 to get to the the Seal Island Bridge and up Kelly's Mountain before getting on the trail at either the Red Barn or the Englishtown Ferry. There are a number of elevated look outs over the Bras D'or and the Atlantic if you take that route.

There was still a fair amount (25 kms or so) of the Cabot Trail under re-construction this year when I went around, but hopefully it will be finished and re-surfaced by next year. I'm lucky because I'm originally from there and have done most of this stuff over the years. If I had to do it as a tourist I would break the trip around the trail over two days so I could stop to do more stuff. Places to stop along the trail:

In Clockwise order:

The Red Barn (you'll know it when you see it)
The Evangeline in Cheticamp
The Skyline Trail (seriously, don't miss this. It'll cost you an hour or two of walking, but it's well worth it)
The Rusty Anchor in Pleasant Bay
Mary Ann Falls in Ingonish (swimming hole right under the falls)
The Coastal Restaurant also in Ingonish (this is where you get your T-shirts or other swag for riding the trail)
The Giant MacAskill Museum in Englishtown

Side adventures:

Take White Point Rd and New Haven Rd into Neil's Harbour

This is on the Ceilidh Trail, but not too far off the Cabot Trail to the southwest: Glennora Distillery in Glennora (Single Malt Whiskey made in Canada!).

I can't tell you much about Newfoundland, because I've only been to St John's, but you could spend more time in Cape Breton! LOL

Enjoy my homeland! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Living in Northern Michigan, I've done that Detroit or Port Huron route many times. Last summer I rode up to the Seguenay Fiord and the ride from Port Huron across was miserable. I did most of the places you mentioned on that trip. I tend to ride to stay away from cities, so I won't be stopping in any of the cities you mention. I've been to Ottawa a number of times. I like that city and enjoyed the atmosphere by the Rideau Canal.

I've done 17 across a number of times. Can't seem to find 60. My plan right now (I'm notorious for changing my plans in a heart beat -- even while on the trip) is to take 129 north out of Thessalon and hook up with 101 near Chapleau for the trip east. I've never been up there.

I'll have, at least, all of June, maybe the whole summer. So, time won't be a problem. I did 5 weeks starting the last weekend in May this year on my Alaska trip and seem to have plenty of warm clothes. I take lots of layers!

I imagine I'll run into rain up there!

KKORO
To take the 60, head towards/into Algonquin Park at Huntsville (on Hwy 11). Nice road, but you still end up on the 17 at either Pembroke or Renfrew, it'll just take you longer to get there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JJ Spectre, Good stuff, Thanks. My rememberer is not too good these days, but if I remember, I'll look you up and buy you lunch/dinner. I'll bet you'll be able to fill my head with lots of good ideas.

KKORO

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To take the 60, head towards/into Algonquin Park at Huntsville (on Hwy 11). Nice road, but you still end up on the 17 at either Pembroke or Renfrew, it'll just take you longer to get there.
Thanks, I see it now. I was looking further north. The added benefit to taking 60 is a visit to Parry Sound. It's always been one of my favourite places in Canada.

KKORO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts