Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rain...

rain...

rain...

rain...

rain...................... :headbang:

Comes a point when being stuck at home isn't fun anymore. The little creek just below my driveway has been over since Tuesday. Stuck here - as yet no end in sight.

:fineprint:

maroon-
verb [ trans. ] (often be marooned)
leave (someone) trapped and isolated in an inaccessible place,
esp. an island : a novel about schoolboys marooned on a desert island.
ORIGIN early 18th cent.: from Maroon , originally in the form marooned [lost in the wilds.]

·
Registered
351 Posts
We where supposed to move yesterday, but we are flooded into our current property and flooded out of Tyalgum where we are moving. This rain better ease off as I am already paying double rent for both propertys :headbang:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
We where supposed to move yesterday, but we are flooded into our current property and flooded out of Tyalgum where we are moving. This rain better ease off as I am already paying double rent for both propertys :headbang:
Ask for some discount from both landlords [separately] due to the unavoidable circumstances, they may be reasonable about it- if both give you maybe 50% off it would help you.

No fun for all of you guys up there [again]. :thumbdown:

Rain down here west of Sydney but not too bad, some are still getting out for rides [I was going to go on a ride today but a 2am bed time meant I didn't feel like riding after just 4 hours sleep- yeah, I know, I need a can of HTFU].
Might go for a quick spin this arvo though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Would kill for rain. Count your blessings. Reservoirs at 50% down to as low as 17%, and summer isn't far off. Come on spring showers!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Would kill for rain. Count your blessings. Reservoirs at 50% down to as low as 17%, and summer isn't far off. Come on spring showers!
We know what that's like too. Our dams were down to 19% a couple of years ago and it's a scary feeling. We can always let some out but you can't fill them up. Hope you get some rain soon.

OneOff (first post in this thread) lives a short distance from Springbrook up in our border ranges which recorded 645 mm, that's 26 inches, for the past week. No wonder his little creek is overflowing!

And can anyone explain why it is that a concrete slab that's been down for over forty years gets moist and clammy after a prolonged period of rain? No cracks, no entry of water, but if I'm working under the car my shirt is damp after just a few minutes. Constant high humidity with little or no breeze?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Rain...

rain...

rain...

rain...

rain...................... :headbang:

Comes a point when being stuck at home isn't fun anymore. The little creek just below my driveway has been over since Tuesday. Stuck here - as yet no end in sight.

:fineprint:

maroon-
verb [ trans. ] (often be marooned)
leave (someone) trapped and isolated in an inaccessible place,
esp. an island : a novel about schoolboys marooned on a desert island.
ORIGIN early 18th cent.: from Maroon , originally in the form marooned [lost in the wilds.]
Oh I see,you can't ring in a pizza--:thumbdown:

·
Registered
608 Posts
@oneoff

Pehaps a good time to practice river crossing, or drifting/skidding on the lawn.

But I don't think the Strom would drift down the river.

Maroon - sort of a dark red purply rose colour.
Not to be confused with
Macaroon - the cookie/biscuit

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Only the best of concrete slabs are 'waterproof'. The surface of slabs will absorb moisture and hydrostatic pressure will sometimes force both moisture and water through the slab. A bag of cement left laying on a conc floor will set after a few months from moisture in an apparent dry slab.
You can buy both clear sealers or paving paint from Mitre 10 or other and it makes for a more pleasant life. Wait till the slab is dry before applying, old age might set in first.

Yeah, had enough of rain here too, my feet are becoming webbed like a duck. No sign of feathers yet.

Hope you get plenty of rain soon in Texas.

Saturn 5

·
Registered
532 Posts
Is it a sign of madness riding in circles and figure 8's in the backyard???? Its dry inland tomorrow, so im heading west in the morning !!!!! hope your driveway appears again soon, we no longer have a driveway but a series of hollows and washed out ruts !!!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Smart arse..

I'm taking Windy's advice and cracking a bottle of red, cooked some pasta to go with it.... Jamisons Run Shiraz 2009, is that any good?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Smart arse..

I'm taking Windy's advice and cracking a bottle of red, cooked some pasta to go with it.... Jamisons Run Shiraz 2009, is that any good?? :confused:
Of course it is,wack a lure on the rod [pumpkin seed shad] maybe and get a fresh piscatorial delight from the creek,some people are doing it hard.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Only two beers left, now that is desperate. OK on with the gear, the water is only half a meter deep and running at 20 knots, in ya go!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Last year when we had the floods, everyone was trapped in the property. I had my xr4 and the only way to get to the nearest village was to ride up the back of the property and though a NP rough and slippery as. Got loaded with an army pack and away I went, I came home back over the mountains with a case of beer, smokes, milk, bread ext all strapped to my back, what a adventure I had that day, pack got a bit heavy so I had to stop half way and unload a few beers into a more convenient carrying space, yum yum. Made it even more of an adventure :thumbup:

Looks like Wednesday will be the move day now, rain supposed to ease off to a drizzle for the rest of the week. I have decided to come home early from work to help, thought id got out of another move but worried about my pregnant wife stressing arnt I a good man :yesnod:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Twelve months ago most of Oz was in the same state! Now our reservoirs are full but it came at a big cost with lots of flooding and lose of lives in Queensland and 1 (I think ) in Victoria. It is wonderful to see them full :yesnod:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Smart arse..

If I was a little closer, I'd come and share the bottle with you, I don't mind a shiraz :thumbup:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Small sacrifices

Pete it is a small sacrifice given the great locations where we live, have to take the good with the bad I suppose. Hang in there maybe you should start brewing your own for these special occassions.

It is wet down here as well, the beer at the Crown tastes so good off the tap.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 37 Posts