StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a sucky work schedule (and lame boss), I don't have my weekends free. When I do I don't know until the Thursday right before, so long term planning is difficult. So planning to take the MSF course is a frustrating ordeal. Therefore, DMV ride test it is.

NOT an easy test though. I'm going to be ordering lowering links to get more stable, but has anyone ever done the ride test on a 'Strom? I have a DMV semilocal to practice at but I'm nervous. No I know nobody with a street legal small cc motorcycle which sucks.

Any tips?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not sure how large Hanford is, but in the LA area, I see people on Craig's List advertising all the time for loaner bikes to take the DMV test on. Seems the fee is fairly nominal, $40-50 or so for a smaller 250 cc bike. You also might check with a local bike shop to see if they have any referrals for test loaners.

Of course, taking (and passing) the MSF Basic Rider course waives the riding test requirement, but it seems that will be difficult for you to plan for. And you should be able to do the test on a 'Strom, but it may not be easy, expecially the figure-8 in a box. Good luck!

Bob

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The test is something like this, it's not the MSF figure-8 thing.

Practice it with the Wee and see how it goes. You might not need a smaller bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My problem with the Ca DMV ride test

Here is my experience with the DNMV test:

I had a motorcycle endorsement on my Texas license a 100 years ago, but lost it in the transfer process a couple of states ago. So when I bought a used Wee several months ago I knew I needed to do something.

First I studied the Ca handbook and took the test. Passed with flying colors! Then I scheduled the driving test. I had been riding the Wee for a month by then, maybe 1000 miles and thought I knew it pretty well. So I went down for the test. Busted!!!

The next weekend I went down to the closed DMV test location and tried it a couple of times- busted a turn signal!!! Not the first and probably not the last time ;-)

As we all know the Wee has a long wheelbase and is very top heavy. Deadly combination for the Ca DMV test. The circle's radius is pretty near the limit of the Vees steering. I am sure it can be done and if I wanted to try again I would practise with trials style riding, ie standing on the pegs. But I said what the heck and took the MSF course. Probably cheaper than a couple of turn signal replacements.

So my advice is unless you are really good at very slow speed maneuvering, take the test with another bike.

David

David

·
Registered
609 Posts
a vstrom 650 would have to be one of the easiest bikes around to take that test. If my dad can pass that test on a harley davidson dyna wide glide with the long raked front end, then I think you can pass it on a vstrom. I have only been riding mine for a few weeks and I can already balance it for several seconds at a light. The clutch is so easy to slip. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Sarah

Find an empty parking lot and lay out your own test range. You can buy cheap very flat little orange cones in the soccer section of Wal*Mart and other stores, or make something yourself. You can put down chalk marks for the circle and other points.

Do lots of parking lot practice in any case. It'll help your riding as well as getting you through the test. A tip--ride in second gear with the clutch slipping a lot (the friction zone) and control your speed with the rear brake. Don't use any throttle...idle is sufficient. Keep dragging the rear brake all the time, a bit more or a bit less for speed control, and keep the clutch slipping. Another tip--look where you need to go, not where you're about to go. For the circle, look above the center of the circle, not in front of your front wheel. This makes a huge difference. If your vision is directed in front of the front wheel, it just doesn't work.

Helpful practice techniques:
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=249&Set=&SearchTerms=parking lot
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=194&Set=&SearchTerms=parking lot

And, after doing lots of parking lot practice, and you don't think the Strom is a good choice for the test, rent a small bike as the posting above suggested. The practice will make you a better Strom rider.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the Wyoming riding test on my strom, not such a big deal. How often can you take it if you fail?
Three times is what I've heard. I'm still getting used to the bike so haven't been to the DMV's practice course yet, but am worried I'll bust a signal too.

The best thing would be to take the MSF course and I want to, but given the lack of decision from the higher eschelons of my company I'm relegated to spontaneity for any weekend plans. MSF, apparently, isn't a very spontaneous organization (at least not this time of the year).

I'll look around for rentable bikes to take the test on, maybe I'll find something through the bike shops (there's a few in the area). For now though looks like I'll be practicing on my Wee. Can't hurt I guess, at least I'll get some practice on cornering and tight turns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I took my test over three evenings during the week instead of the weekend...however that may not work for you.

Good luck on the test! I was able to go to the DMV after hours and practice on the course in their parking lot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You should have no problem with the test on a Wee or Vee. I use my Vee to ride demos in the ERC (Experienced Rider Course). The bike is capable of 16 ft diameter U-turns when you lock and lean it. The inner diameter of CA's circle is 19.5 ft. Practice up a bit and go knock the test out.

Dusty

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just did mine on it, its a cinch. rev it up, ride the clutch use brake to determine speed ,do what you know. go on an empty tank lol . i was there with scooters ,supersports, cruisers etc i had the biggest bike there. the dmv test feller said i had excellent control and he was very impressed with my ability to weild such a big bike.practise , and use what you know.if you can do full lock turns, you wont have any problems whatso ever. Its not the bike, its your skill on that bike. besides, should always practise anyway.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Due to a sucky work schedule (and lame boss), I don't have my weekends free. When I do I don't know until the Thursday right before, so long term planning is difficult.

Any tips?
Can't you announce 2 months ahead that you need such and such Friday-Saturday-Sunday off so they can work around it? People have life and your employer should understand that.

Or can't you take a 3-day holiday?

I would take the MSF course. I did it a year ago and so far it was my best 400 dollars spent. I learned a lot over that weekend.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I took mine on my buddies DRZ 400 because I thought it would be better at slow speed turning than the 750 Shadow I had at the time. What a mistake! That thing was so twitchy at slow speeds I barely passed the test:headbang: What ticks me off is that I had to take the test again, took it in 1988 on my Honda 750 and passed with flying colors. For some reason the endorsement disappeared of my license after 17 years of not riding:confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
just took mine test in middle of april on a wee in SC. just prepare as much as you can (practice in a parking lot). set up some cans or wutever and see how you can do. if you do practice though it helps if you can find a copy of the course layout first. good luck

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Due to a sucky work schedule (and lame boss), I don't have my weekends free. When I do I don't know until the Thursday right before, so long term planning is difficult. So planning to take the MSF course is a frustrating ordeal. Therefore, DMV ride test it is.

NOT an easy test though. I'm going to be ordering lowering links to get more stable, but has anyone ever done the ride test on a 'Strom? I have a DMV semilocal to practice at but I'm nervous. No I know nobody with a street legal small cc motorcycle which sucks.

Any tips?
Our safety instructor stated all motorcycles can turn in a radius of 18' max. They taught us to turn your head in the direction you go, during slow speed turn shift your weight to the high-side and lean on the high-side peg. After a bit of practice you'll be able to spin the Wee inside the 19' circle with ease. I was surprise the difference these tips made. I have a Vee..

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
There may be a possibility that the test course is available for practice after-hours if it's not fenced off and available when the DMV is closed, and if you are near such a DMV facility. At least giving it a whirl if possible will give you a better assessment.

When I decided to start (legally) riding again a few years ago, I did the after-hours practice thing on my cruiser (Honda 1100 Sabre) and then successfully took the test on it. There's a certain sense of accomplishment in taking the test on the very machine you'll be riding.

On Sundays there's usually one or two beginning riders bopping over to the local DMV to do this off and on through the day, and it makes for a nice informal gathering. I still go over once in a while to run through the course on my Wee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts