StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought I was out of the woods on this FI code. wrong, Got the same conditions
as before ( a month ago) This time I had the dealer mode switch plugged in so I could
read the code on the fly. C12. Which is related to a more than 2 second delay between
starter button push and ECM voltage. Somehow also includes the crank position sensor.
or CKPS
At first I thought the battery was at fault. Now I'm almost sure it is. Got home and it
Was still showing C12. Plugged in the trickle charger and let it charge for about 30 minutes
Then went through a start stop procedure over about 10 or 15 minutes. Ignition on , start
run ,shut off 4 times. Code was C00 at the end. The next Time I go to ride I'm going to
keep the battery on the trickle charger before I leave and see if startup works as it should.
It seems to do this when it has been sitting and not on the charger for more than a week.
I hope the CKPS is not going bad - but if so it's still under factory warranty.
My 4K service is still about 700 miles away.
If the battery does get replaced and conditions improve I think I may incorporate a reseat
of all the electrical harness connections in and around the battery section. It looks as if
this spot is where all the connections terminate. Prime area for corrosion .
Which can lead to intermittent faults. And My bike stays in a garage and is never
ridden in rain. I will keep posting results as I find them .

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm in the process of doing some tests on whether the low battery voltage is what's triggering the
C12 fault code. My new battery will be here soon. The 2 times it has happened had been when
the bike sat for over a week without being on a trickle charger.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Why would you let it set longer than a week without being on a float charger? The batt may still start the bike but batts last a lot longer if kept in a topped off state.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Could be that the battery is bad. But could also be simply loose battery connections at the terminal and check the main ground cable at the engine case.
You need to monitor battery voltage. Does your model show the voltage on the instrument panel? If not add an external V meter, for example one plugged into the lighter socket or a stand alone unit connect it to a switched battery contact.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has not been on a trickle charger since new. Has sat as long as a month without issue.
I was told the trickle charger would in fact over charge the battery. The charger I have now
is a float charger. I rode it yesterday for over 25 miles and the battery voltage stayed at 14.1
or above the entire time. Came back to the house shut it off and within 30 minutes checked
the battery voltage and it was already down to 11.5 volts.
Also the Date code on the battery is 02 16 17 Which means it sat in the bike until I purchased it
in may of 2018. So it's 3 1/2 years old or more.
So when the new battery comes in I'm going to keep it on the float charger when not in use.
I'm really more concerned if the C12 code is eliminated by the battery replacement.
This could tell a lot about FI codes being triggered by low battery voltage.
I'll post up when things get more interesting.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
I'm not sure that batteries need a more frequent trickle charge. I put digital volt meters on my bikes and when the voltage drops to 11.2 or so I will put a charger on the battery. the loss takes more than a few days unless I leave something on, like my GPS or the heated grips.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
A float charge can give you a false sense of security.

A bike should be able to sit for a month or two and still fire up if it can't your battery is failing.

If you always have it on charge you will never know and one day that battery will let you down.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok Here's whats going on. I got my new battery today ( installed just minutes ago)
Fit was perfect. The old battery thats supposed to be a Yuasa brand is in fact an after market
japan made battery. As shown below. Date code shows February 16 2017.

New battery is on charge now just to make sure it's fully charged when I start it up.

Pic of old battery

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's an update to the current conditions. Steady state voltage with ignition on
not running = 12.4 vdc This same test produced 11.2 vdc on the old battery.
So I gained 1.2 volts. Bike started fine several times without issue.
Remember I'm trying to see if the FI code sets the C12
issues as it had done in the past. So far it has not. We will see .

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok here is an update to the new battery being installed. I took the bike out this morning
and rode a good 50 miles without a single issue. Stopped for gas at the beginning and no
restart issues or codes. It will take a few more rides to be convinced the problem was in fact
the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts