StromTrooper banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm having a problem with my K7 DL650 (non abs).
The bike will not start however the clocks etc. start up as normal, the fuel pump can be heard when i press the starter and a click can be heard from the main fuse. I initially thought it was the battery but have put in a new, fully charged battery and while the bike didnt start immediately, eventually it started. however, now the problemis back and indicating F1 and a blinking oil light.
I put the bike into dealer mode and code C-12 comes up.
how important is this fault? I can bump- start the bike and it will run fine however i've a few miles to do in the next few days and dont fancy bumping it everywhere...:headbang:

Would i cause damage to the bike if the sensor of the connectors are the issue?

Thanks

J.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The ECM needs the CKPS signal to "know" when to fire the spark plugs. The engine cannot be started with a blinking FI. It sounds like you have an intermittent fault and the engine will start and run when the fault is not active but die or not start when it is active. Once detected, the c12 will remain until the ignition key is turned off. When the key is turned on again, the ECM will check for faults. If there are none, the clock display is kept but an FI is shown in user mode if a fault is detected. A c12 is shown in dealer mode.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ECM needs the CKPS signal to "know" when to fire the spark plugs. The engine cannot be started with a blinking FI. It sounds like you have an intermittent fault and the engine will start and run when the fault is not active but die or not start when it is active. Once detected, the c12 will remain until the ignition key is turned off. When the key is turned on again, the ECM will check for faults. If there are none, the clock display is kept but an FI is shown in user mode if a fault is detected. A c12 is shown in dealer mode.
Thanks Pat- i'm gonna check the connections coming from the CKPS to see if that is the issue.
If not, can i bypass the connectors for the time being to get around this issue?
Is it likely that the sensor itself is broken or is this indicative of more serious problems? :purple_confused:

thanks
J

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Bypassing the connections will only help if the connections are bad. The book lists the following possibilities.

Metal particles or foreign materiel being attached on the CKP sensor and rotor tip.
CKP sensor circuit open or short.
CKP sensor malfunction.
ECM malfunction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bypassing the connections will only help if the connections are bad. The book lists the following possibilities.

Metal particles or foreign materiel being attached on the CKP sensor and rotor tip.
CKP sensor circuit open or short.
CKP sensor malfunction.
ECM malfunction.
Okay thanks-will go investigating!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts