StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've developed a vibration on my DL1000K6. It starts to come on around 3400 RPM to 3500 RPM. :( I have 4600 miles on it (it's a month and a half old).

I have the Pat Walsh crash bars, of which you might recall that I recently had the right one snap a tab at the top. Before that happened, I had been noticing a buzz around 3200RPM, but this was coming from the insanely cheap pegs I had put on the bars. I welded the tab back as a temp fix, and this changed nothing. The buzzing pegs were driving me insane, so I took them off. The buzzing only got worse.

Pat sent me a new right hand bar, and I swapped it out, and the buzz went from a low frequency one that felt like it was under the bike to one that feels like it is the plastic up higher, and it shifted from 3200RPM to 3500. (pegs are still off).

Now, apparently I do have a dent in the skid plate, so I am going to take the whole setup off tomorrow and see what happens, but this is driving me nuts. I hooked up my TBS gauge today on a whim and noticed I'm a couple of inches off, maybe this is the cause? My home made gauge is 10 foot of 1/4 clear hosing with ATF as the fluid. If the skid plate removal makes it go away I'll beat that sucker back flat and see what happens. I got some rubber undercoat today that I am thinking of spraying on the skid plate to maybe help out, but I dunno.

I get the vibe at any road speed, any gear, but only at that RPM.

Anyone else fix a problem like this? :x

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
The first thing I thought of when reading the subject of your post was - windscreen has come loose and is buzzing. Although, for me on the Wee, this usually happens around 5000-6500 RPM. The fix is quick - just torque down the bolts.

After reading your post though - sounds like you have much larger issues. Did you bash the skid-plate and crash bars or something?

Cheers.

Tige

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I took the whole crashbar and skid plate off and went for a ride, and.... no vibes. :)

So, that's good news. Bad news is I gotta make it not vibe with the stuff back on. The skid plate is a little bashed, but not hugely bad:

This bash apparently happened when I was attempting to get myself out of some soft sand recently, but I was in the moment and didn't even realize it.

Looks like the power coat is peeling a little due to the proximity of the exhaust. I'm gonna try flattening it back out and seeing what happens, maybe spray the underside of it with the undercoating stuff. :wink:

Anyway, I'll post some updates.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
cavehampster, looking at the photo of the plate assy. Why does it look like a connection tab was broken off at the top of the notched area??? :?
is this how the plate looks new? :shock: It would seem to me that this open
area would act as a low quality "Tuning fork " and that the top of that area
should be reinforced Or if possible bridged. just an idea ...
as I don't know the position that its mounting relates too I offer the following

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha I like your drawing.

If you notice, there is a spot on each side of that area that has a broken off bit... here is what it looked like before i took it off:

That used to be straight across, but i guess the combo of the whack and sitting on the clamp has broken it. I took it off entirely. I'm debating patching it back kind of in the manner you drew out there.

Right now, I have hammered the skid plate back out, and am waiting for the 3M undercoating to dry. I figured it was worth a shot. Regardless, the constant stream of dirt from rainy roads has started sand blasting the power coat down the middle on the bottom of the skid plate, so it could stand a coating anyway. We'll see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
OK that explains the rough edges ... the undercoat will dry to a tack surface
If that doesnt do what you wanted it to Try the brush/rollon bedliner material . its avail. in 1 qt. size to do tailgates and such from napa
I'm not artistically inclined & can't afford photoshop......jack :oops:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I haven't taken a picture yet, but I think it came out looking pretty good. My only concern at this point is that the exhaust is gonna be close to the pan, so I hope it doesn't do something dumb like catch fire :shock:

Being the geek that I am, I took an infrared thermometer and a blow torch, sprayed some of the undercoat on concrete, and heated it up. It looks like it starts to really dry out and turn white around 650F, and if I stick the torch up close, it will briefly flash (but that's above 1000F). Running the bike in the garage, I see that coming out of the header it gets around 800F, and upwards of 600F near the area that the plate is going to be close too. Hmmmm... maybe this wasn't the best idea, hah. The skid plate will be as close as a 1/4 inch from the pipe, so maybe that is enough room.

I think I'm gonna put on a little exhaust wrap in that area and see how it goes.

Wheee! :roll:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
cavehamster I was curious as to the outcome of the project as I didn't see a topic that started " Smokin hot DL1000 for sale ":)
So I assume ( Yeah I know the inference of the word :twisted: ) that everything is good to go as far as the radiant heat issue . but what about the vibrations?? :?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being the lazy guy I am I haven't completed the project yet. I had to run down to Albuquerque on Wednesday so I just took the bike with no skid plate/bars. This afternoon I was going to give it a shot, but, well, I haven't yet. Although, bear with me, I'll probably go do it in a few here... maybe... ;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welp, I finished it up.

First off, I wrapped part of the exhaust that is near the plate to help keep temps down:

I coated the skid plate with rubberized undercoating:

And replaced the bars and plate:

After the initial smoking of the high-temp paint that the wrap had been coated in, it looked to be good. I checked the skid plate temp after about a 15 minute ride, and it showed to be under 200. The wrapped part of the exhaust sits closer to 400. No fires, or smoking from the skid plate.

And, here's the best part. It is running as smooth as it ever has. Heck, it even feels smoother than I thought it was the other day without the plate on, but who knows?

Here is a gallery of a bunch of photos from the broken tab through to the final product: http://images.snurkle.net/album48

I also discovered there was a weld on the center stand rubbing the exhaust, so I took a angle grinder to it. Now it rests against the exhaust on the little rubber bumper, so I'm sure this removed some order of vibration as well.

Anyway, feeling happy about this now. Plus I got my radar detector hard wired, and my pro oiler will show up next week. Wheeee... :p

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
cavehamster, nice work :!: that is a clean & very profesionallooking finished product :D
out of curiosity how was the stump you landed the jump onto :roll:
:wink:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, maybe jomawan has a picture, I forgot my camera that day.

We were headed back to Socorro from our ride that day, and I pulled off to the Box Canyon turn off. After a brief conversation, we decided to ride down to the parking area, which I recalled from my college days as being a large, flat, finely graveled lot slightly overlooking a stream bed. The Box, as they call it, has some great vertical walls, and is a favorite of climbers and the like for a nice day off.

I had actually be out there 3 weeks prior with a buddy on his motorcycle (an XT600 dual sport dirt bike), but we went on past the parking area and took some shots:

(The canyon is down in that dip in front of us in this shot, about 100-150 foot vertical)
(I actually also own the same model of dirt bike as well).

As such, we never went to the parking area. I had noted that it was somewhat washed out due to recent heavy rains. But when jomawan and I went down there, I got a chance to really check out the damage first hand. I rode up close to where the little restroom is, and as I got close, I noted that I was sinking into soft sand, so I stopped. jomawan stopped well behind me on terra firma to watch the show. I tried pushing the bike backwards, but it didnt want to go. I looked to my right, and there was something of a rocky ledge there about 6 inches to a foot high, then a fairly clean area. I figured if I could get up on that, I could turn hard lock to the right and go back to jomawan's position. It was a tad tricky doing this, but easy on the throttle and mind the balance and I rode right out of it. I don't recall any slams, but I was pretty concentrated on picking my way and getting out. jomawan says I dipped down pretty low crawling over those rocks, so this must have been where it happened, I haven't been off road with something that I could have whacked since.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I was hoping it would come out looking good, and I think I managed that.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I would say that you did an admirable job on picking your way thru . :)
and as i said that repair turned out to be very well done. but did it get rid of the noise?? :wink:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, no noise, no vibration. I don't know if it was from beating the plate flat or the undercoating, but regardless, I've got about 500 vibe-free miles on it now. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts