StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to bypass the switch by the side stand that prevents it from starting with the side stand down? Can it be broken open & wires soldered together? If not I need to spend $155 for a new shorter side stand from Soupy's which is insane. I put on lowering links, side stand was too long so I ordered a cheap one from eBay which is well made but doesn't have the tab on it that pushes the switch closed that allows the engine to start. So I now have a bike that I can flat foot with the gel seat but it won't start. I know, a welder can shorten my side stand for a few bucks. I don't know any welders.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Try THIS: Get a 14-16 gauge Scotchlock connector(any auto parts store, they come in a pack, blue in color), lay it across the 2 wires going to your side stand switch, pinch down the Scotchlock connector with a pair of pliers, then latch the connector closed. Wrap with several turns of electrical tape. DONE.
No damage to anything, and in the future you can remove the Scotch lock connector, apply a dab of RTV sealant to the 2 wires whose insulation was formerly pierced by the Scotchlock connector.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try THIS: Get a 14-16 gauge Scotchlock connector(any auto parts store, they come in a pack, blue in color), lay it across the 2 wires going to your side stand switch, pinch down the Scotchlock connector with a pair of pliers, then latch the connector closed. Wrap with several turns of electrical tape. DONE.
No damage to anything, and in the future you can remove the Scotch lock connector, apply a dab of RTV sealant to the 2 wires whose insulation was formerly pierced by the Scotchlock connector.
Thanks I'll try that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Damn the Americans. Almost all of the WORLDWIDE "safety" cutout switch stuff on bikes and cars is due to the victims "no responsibility" legislation from the USA. Read up on cruise control issues years ago there. Maybe Charles Darwin's theories on evolution should be paid a lot more attention.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Mike Ford, save your preaching for those who want it. The OP asked "How", not "Why shouldnt I?"
Ive had my '81 Honda CB750K for coming up on 38 years, and gee, I havent died by not having a side stand switch yet.
It's called..."Personal Responsibility" "
"Damn the Americans"? I got your "Damn the American's" RIGHT HERE, PAL!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mike Ford, save your preaching for those who want it. The OP asked "How", not "Why shouldnt I?"
Ive had my '81 Honda CB750K for coming up on 38 years, and gee, I havent died by not having a side stand switch yet.
It's called..."Personal Responsibility" "
"Damn the Americans"? I got your "Damn the American's" RIGHT HERE, PAL!
I don't think Mr. Ford was preaching about "why shouldn't I". Rather, commenting on xs control by safety Nazis in our country.
Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My point is that why not just answer the question as posted? If you dont have an answer, then why try to divert the topic to "Well, you shouldnt"?
Damn the Americans? LOL Outside of AC/DC and Steve Irwin...what else ya got Mr. Ford?

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
The clutch switch maybe tho that is fraught these days.

DIsable side stand switch??? ....seriously stupid and yes it is a safety feature likely more valuable than seat belts in cars......but then there are always some.

Insurance is a collective and :|:|:|:|wits that don't wear helmets and disable safety features for some frontier notion of self determination just cost everyone that rides or drives in the form of higher insurance.

Buy and island ....do what you want...
.while you are in a society ..rules apply.....don't piss upstream of the drinking water.
You want to participate in the collective without participating in the safety rules.

If you are truly dedicated to your "personal responsibility", then skip the insurance entirely and take the FULL responsibility for your fate.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The clutch switch maybe tho that is fraught these days.

DIsable side stand switch??? ....seriously stupid and yes it is a safety feature likely more valuable than seat belts in cars......but then there are always some.

Insurance is a collective and :|:|:|:|wits that don't wear helmets and disable safety features for some frontier notion of self determination just cost everyone that rides or drives in the form of higher insurance.

Buy and island ....do what you want...
.while you are in a society ..rules apply.....don't piss upstream of the drinking water.
You want to participate in the collective without participating in the safety rules.

If you are truly dedicated to your "personal responsibility", then skip the insurance entirely and take the FULL responsibility for your fate.
Seriously stupid post. Riding away with the side stand down isn't playing Russian roulette. I did it a few times over the years & didn't die a horrible death. I heard a scraping noise, pulled over, raised it & rode away. If that's going to raise your insurance cost maybe you need to shop around. As I mentioned, my first 6 motorcycles didn't have side stand switches & I lived to tell about it somehow. Evel Knievel once asked for my autograph.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jaun_Banjovy,
I have a 2004 dl1000 so not sure if the dl650 is same or not however, I have disable the side stand switch. I did this because if you get air or are on a bumpy area it can cause the bike to cut off and that is dangerous and may lead to a bad day quickly.

I unplugged the side stand switch, soldered the wires together (you can tin them if you wish, won't hurt) then taped them up. I went on a 3700mi jaunt around the Country for 2 weeks or so and no issues.

I've read some folks say the bike will not run, idle correctly if you do this but don't know the year Strom referred to.

Give it a try, you can always reverse it if you have issues.

Cheers,
Hukamosh

·
Registered
140 Posts
So there is no real reason to disable anything? Or am I missing something.
If the Wee is like the Glee, it'll kill the motor as soon as you put it in gear if it thinks the sidestand is down.

I'm not quite as doom and gloom as some of you on this; my old CB750 didn't have a side stand switch that would kill the motor and I never had an issue with leaving it down. It did have a little amber light on the speedo to tell you it was down though.

Still, there's a risk. Some googling turns up some research in the 80's about motorcycle side stand accidents. I'm guessing that's when the push started to make the switches mandatory. I also found an ADVRider thread about a rider who was killed in a left hand turn after his sidestand spring failed.

The way I understand it, since sidestands stay down due to being over-centered, if a down sidestand catches the pavement, in order for it to move back it also has to move the bike upwards which will potentially lift one of your wheels off the ground.

You're not facing certain death if you disable it, but you're increasing your risk of an accident. It's something to think about when most of us spend a lot of money trying to decrease our risk while riding a bike.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I had to choose between riding off with the side stand down or having the engine cut out in a 70 mph corner because of the switch, I'll take the former.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I, too, somehow survived without this 'feature' for quite a few decades.

I don't ride my DL650 on anything harder than a simple dirt road so I won't mess with it, but I did disconnect the switch on my DR650- after I nearly dumped the bike on a steep hill climb. I bashed down over a rock, hard enough to bounce the sidestand and the motor cut out momentarily. Not a good place to lose power, I wasn't happy about that.

The worst 'safety stand' I ever had was on my BMW airhead in 1971.

You couldn't see the stand under the left hand cylinder and it was easy to take off with stand down. So they installed a spring to retract it automatically when you stood the bike up, ready to ride. Unfortunately, a good gust of wind could lift the parked bike enough to unweight the stand and retract it, and several times I came back to the bike lying on it's side. After a while, you learned to put it on the center stand (which wasn't all that great either.)

Anyway, motorcycling (my opinion) is about developing skills to manage risks. Seems like remembering to put your stand up is a reasonable skill to develop- not much different than learning how to find the horn button without looking, or learning to downshift without jeopardizing traction.

.................shu

1 - 20 of 25 Posts