StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am considering driving 5 hours tomorrow to purchase a used vstrom 650 sight unseen BUT I have some concerns now. The owner told me this morning that he slid out on pavement once (left side) and damaged the fairing, grip end, and turn signal. He claims it was all cosmetic and he had it fixed by a local mechanic for about $1100.

I appreciate that he is being honest, I just wonder if you guys that actually own this bike and have possibly dropped your own bike could give me some advice.

Does $1100 sound close for the parts I described and labor? Also is there anything vulnerable under the left fairing or elsewhere on the bike I should look closely at with this type of crash?

If the bike wasn't so far I would just go look at it but now I'm considering waiting for something that has not been dropped.... unless you guys are able to ease my mind a little :thumbup:

Disclaimer: I realize I've not seen the bike and I'm describing what someone told me happened to the bike. There could be other variables that we don't know for sure, I'm just asking in general if a slow speed low side on the left side is something that might be a concern. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The fairing is pretty $$. the things that can break additionally. include the shifter and maybe the kickstand. If the back peg is out the sub assembly may have bent, but unlikey

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Check over the frame, look for rash and cracks, check the sub frame too, look from the rear and see how the fender lines up with the rear tire, site down the sidewalls and look at alingment. Check the tires and look for abnormal wear. Take it for a spin and see how it tracks.
I wiped out the right side of my strom, it was 800.00 in do it yourself repairs. Which included, pegs,bars, grips, mirrors, fender, tankcowling, decal, levers, and just about anything else on the right side. I would say he is in the ball park if you do it yourself. Just be sure the machine is straight with no frame damages.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My '06 was dropped on right side by previous owner. He replaced right fairing. It doesn't line up perfectly on the right side as right fairing is lower than left side and much closer to tank and a cowl has a gap. Due to I'm told cowl bracket being bent....that would have to be replaced for everything to line up perfectly. Only if I point this stuff out, does anyone notice.

Also rear brake lever was bent but it's not touching the bike and works fine.

My bike rides great though.....no issues whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You can dent the gas tank with a tipover onto the cowl. (You'd have to pull the cowl to see any dent.) DAMHIK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all the advice. I can't really decide what to do. I'm kind of particular about bikes and if I don't feel right about the bike I'm not going to buy it. Not a big deal if the bike were 30 minutes away but since it's 5 hours I would hate to burn 10 hours worth of diesel and a motel room and not buy the bike. Maybe I should grow some patience and wait for another to come up?

Anyway thanks again.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I appreciate all the advice. I can't really decide what to do. I'm kind of particular about bikes and if I don't feel right about the bike I'm not going to buy it. Not a big deal if the bike were 30 minutes away but since it's 5 hours I would hate to burn 10 hours worth of diesel and a motel room and not buy the bike. Maybe I should grow some patience and wait for another to come up?

Anyway thanks again.
Yes....Good idea. Once the seeds of doubt enter your mind they will never leave.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased my Wee after seeing it on Craigslist. It was posted about a ten hour drive away if I wanted to inspect it personally. I used a friends' set of contacts to go and view the bike. It was clear that it was dropped, but the plastics had been repaired. I ended up purchasing it, and haven't had a problem with it. It's my first bike and it was worth the "risk" and couldn't be more pleased with it!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The pressure is off. Go buy it and ride it like you stole it. If the price is right no worries.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Regret! better to do and regret later, rather than not do, and regret.

This only applies to non-STD situations!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I know I wouldn't drive 5 hours to buy a Wee. Are they really that rare where you are? I'd wait for another to pop-up. The furthest I've ever traveled to get a bike was an hour one way. I'd probably bump that to 2 if it was something I'd really want.

But 5 hrs for a Wee that's been dropped? I'd pass on it unless a long road trip is what you want.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
One test is to have him ride straight away from you, then straight back to you. If the bike rides straight, great. If it can't go straight, you'll see it. Of course arrange for a test ride before you leave home. Bring your riding gear, the money, and whatever else he needs to let you test it. In a big parking lot you should be able to easily follow a straight painted line when riding at a bit more than wobble speed. Tight slow turns in that parking lot should be equal to both sides (but my bike is straight and my slow right turns aren't as good as my slow left turns--know yourself). Medium speed, around-town turns should be equal to both sides. Do check tire pressure before the test ride--33 psi front/36 psi rear factory pressures are best for the test unless you know that certain tire brands like different pressures.

The bike is likely OK. Is there anyone here whose bike hasn't "taken a nap?"

·
Registered
76 Posts
You need to do your homework as all here suggest. That said, I would not worry for a minute about a drop. I've dropped my RT so many times it isn't funny and it is no big deal. If the guy isn't crippled from the experience it was probably not all that hard a drop and any good bike is designed to take a LOT of abuse without any major issues. Fortunatly I've learned a lot since the "dropping'' days and one lowside will teach you things which I did also on my RT. The Wee I now have as my main squeeze everyday bike and semi retired the top heavy RT and have not dropped this baby once but sooner or later, I'll step in a hole or something and drop even it as well. Especially since it is so dang tall. That said, I just don't see dropped bikes as a problem. Mostly they all get dropped sooner or later. jus sayin

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought an '06 in '08 off Craig's List under nearly the same conditions. The item I missed was the slightly dented rims. Whoever dropped it before me went over a curb first. The dents have not caused tire or balancing issues, just a cosmetic thing that only I can see when I check the air in my tires...and a reminder of what else to look for the next time I buy a used bike. Other than that, I love my 650 and feel I still got a good deal.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Tomorrow has come and gone. I wonder how he made out.
I was going to say he needs to ask:
1. What was the MPH speed of the "slow speed "fall?
2. What, if any parts were "fixed" as oposed to replaced with new?(It's not a sin to do that in some cases).
3. Reciept verify claimed new parts bought.(You like to see new stuff).

A proper repair to a part doesn't offend me. Ephisis on proper.
Example. Falling on the right side the passenger peg bracket will likely bend the attachment tab welded to the subframe. pulling it back to proper position may not be a complete proper fix if it was severly bent. Pulling it back can weaken the tab ... (which in itself does not make a proper fix impossible). It just will take more work. If it's not done, it's not done right and so the bikes value should be adjust accordingly.
dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well ... ?

I've been away and didn't see this message in time to offer two cents before Projected was supposed to make his trip. On the chance he's still on the fence, I'll offer it anyway. :mrgreen:

Maybe it's just me, but since you said you were particular about your bike, I'm a bit surprised you're really interested in a bike that already has had (at least) $1,100 in damages. I don't believe you mentioned the price, but it better be pretty darn low to tempt you to go so far just to look.

I'm also pretty particular about my bike and I think I'd give this one a pass for two reasons. One, it doesn't seem to me that Wees are all that rare, although that might just be where I live. Second (and I'll probably get some grief over this) what's the price difference between a wounded bike and one that doesn't come with built in worries? Would it be worth it to save for a bit longer and get a bike without the issues? It was to me and I waited until a deal came along that really made me feel good.

Just an opinion; everyone's got one and I'm wrong all the time.

If you go for it (went for it?), I hope it works out for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
280 Posts
jack, your right.
The difference in price needs to be significant to justify it.... the seller should understand that. And even then, a particular guy should need to see even moreprice difference or walk away and wait for another.
dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you so much for all the advice.

The first time I talked to the seller the drop was never mentioned. I decided I was going to drive the 5 hours to buy the bike, but the second time I talked to him I said. "and the bike has never been dropped right?" and he replied "I never said that and you never asked, but yes it has been dropped on the left side". I really appreciate that he was honest with me.

I called a local Suzuki dealer and talked to the service department. They said it doesn't take much to add up to $1100 for parts and labor when the fairing is involved.

Regardless, I decided against taking the drive and purchasing the bike.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The first time I talked to the seller the drop was never mentioned. I decided I was going to drive the 5 hours to buy the bike, but the second time I talked to him I said. "and the bike has never been dropped right?" and he replied "I never said that and you never asked, but yes it has been dropped on the left side". I really appreciate that he was honest with me.

He may have been honest, but he wasn't exactly forthright. Red flag in my book.

Hope another Wee comes up closer to you, and soon, projected. Seems like 85% of those on Craigslist and here are on one coast or another. :furious:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts