StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found my Vee. I'm going to be flying out to pick it up and ride it home. It has a Givi top case, but I'm not sure what I will be able to fit in it. Is there a place I will be able to secure a few bungee cords to hold a duffle bag to the back seat? am I going to need some long one's. If there is anyone out there that has done it before I would be grateful for ant advice. It's an '05, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a '11... I put a Seal Line waterproof pack on the back of my Wee all the time... I have had the Seal Line and a briefcase on at the same time with no problems... I can't imagine any issues with a top case. HAVE FUN!!!

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Add some bungee-anchors.

I suggest you make some bungee-anchors and bring them with you, along with a selection of bungee cords. These were the very first accessories I added to my Wee-Strom, way back in Twenty-Ought-and-Six.

Get some nylon straps, perhaps by salvaging them from junked knapsacks, and cut two ten-inch lengths. Use fire to seal the ends. Use a small soldering iron to burn a total of four holes, about 8 millimeters across, one near each end of each strap. The bike should have a tool kit, and the kit should contain a 10-mm wrench, but you never know, so bring one of those along too.

Use the key (it goes in the bike's butt) to remove the seat, and halfway along the place where the seat was, you find the two bolts that hold down the front end of the luggage rack. Remove those bolts. Fold a strap in half and slide it under a front corner of the rack so the holes line up with the bolt hole, then reinstall the bolt through the ends of the strap. Make the loop of strap project toward the side of the bike. Repeat on the other side. Tighten the bolts and put back the seat.

You will use those loops hundreds of times to provide solid non-slip anchor points for the front ends of your bungee cords. The backs will probably take care of themselves, because of grooves in the underside of the rack.

Good luck on your maiden voyage. It will be a learning experience, and when it is over you will have a new and cherished friend. In the coming weeks, you will meet Stromtroopers and gain lots more new friends.

You may find, as I have, that you are riding the Fountain of Youth.

Keith

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
You won't have a problem assuming the stock luggage rack and grab bars are still on there. I carry my inflatable kayak on there; I use straps though, bungees are dangerous.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Do you mean like this?

and like this?

I recommend against bungees, using tie down straps from Harbor Freight has been the best for me. They sell a 4 pack of 5 or 6 foot straps which are awesome for motorcycling.. Have fun on the trip! Oh yeah, don't pack as much crap as I did... I was WAY overpacked for my 3 week trip...

·
Registered
23 Posts
bungees bad

on first thought, bungees look like a good way to go. but I recommend against them too. They find a way to come undone or break at a bad time. find some straps if you can.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bring some rope from home and get everything tied down. You may not need bungees and if you do, the rope will get you to a place where you could buy what you need.

I use the same straps posted above from Harbor Freight as well.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Plenty of space on the back portion of the seat. Use ROK Straps if you can get them in time (Bike shops and Ebay has them.........about $20 a pair/54" long, adjustable.......you will never go back to Bungies again!). The Rok straps will allow you to use the passenger pegs as a connection point and then somewhere back on the rack (grab bars?). Walmart has cheap waterproof duffles (shown in pic below) for around $13-$15........will hold a tent, pillow, sleeping bag, mattress to give you some idea of what size I speak.

(I've since upgraded to a Wolfman Duffle............)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Plenty of space on the back portion of the seat. Use ROK Straps if you can get them in time (Bike shops and Ebay has them.........about $20 a pair/54" long, adjustable.......you will never go back to Bungies again!). The Rok straps will allow you to use the passenger pegs as a connection point and then somewhere back on the rack (grab bars?). Walmart has cheap waterproof duffles (shown in pic below) for around $13-$15........will hold a tent, pillow, sleeping bag, mattress to give you some idea of what size I speak.

(I've since upgraded to a Wolfman Duffle............)

+1 On what Mark444 said above - Rok Straps are a great way to attach a duffle to your seat or rear rack.

Check out the Youtube clip.

ROK Straps - YouTube

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
What MedPit said. Bungees suck and with straps you look like the Beverly Hill Billies, no sweat. I strapped a tire to the stuff on the back of the seat leaving a rally in Oregon. Looked like a real ADV guy!
Good nylon straps will hold better and longer. I put footmans loops on the top box to allow for easy installation of a collapsible cooler for the run to the market.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I will see if I can get those straps. I have a harbor fright near where I park for work, so will check there in the morning. :thumbup:
Just can't wait!

·
Registered
151 Posts
You're a local fella, no? Swing by the crib before you leave and I'll let you practice bungie-ing crap to my V-Strom all you want.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the offer noreaster Got to work most of the time till I fly out on Sunday. Stopped at Harbor Freight in Braintree last night and grabbed some straps. After seeing Medplt and Marks picks, I'm confident I will be able to fit my duffle. Maybe we can meet up for a ride some time?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Jay,

Lots of comments about bungees suck, and they are probably right. You are one bungee failure from all your stuff all over the road.

That said, to answer your question, I bungee a daypack (with computer and and all kinds of other stuff) behind me everyday for my ride to work and on trips I favor a pretty good size backpack that I bungee on the seat - no side bags.

Front bungee across the seat and through the hand holds on each side and over the backpack. Back bungee above the tail light under the little frame pieces that hang down on each side of the rack and over the back pack. With the two bungees it feels very secure. Same idea with the big back pack - just longer heavier bungees.

Probably not the best way to do it, but yes it works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts