StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found what I feel is a good deal for a Vee. I know some of you would not have bought it but it fits my budget and am hoping it will provide me with alot of good trouble free miles. It's an 03 DL1000 with 48K miles not alot of extras beside a new rear tire and full Hepco and Becker Junior luggage and I am paying $1500 for it. It needs a little help here and there but seems to be well taken care of. Some of the questions I have are what are the differences between year to year? I have no idea how an 03 compares to the newer model year Vee's... Are they totally different bikes? Seems like I notice when looking at a few parts that it will say 02- Current then some will say like 04-06 so I am not sure what to think other than maybe some aspects of the bike had little improvements between years. Guess my shopping list now will be trying to find good Engine Guards, crash bars, etc. Been looking around to see what others like. Any info on the 03's would be great. Thanks...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Thanks read it all... Any more info out there I should know about. Meantime I will keep on searching and reading the Vee forum...
The differences aren't all that important, and the list in the link covers them well enough. We'll need more information on the specific problems you have in order to provide much further input.

The windshield is the most apparent difference between the 02-03 and 04+ models. I ran mine without the gawdawful turbulence factory for a while (see photo above), but now it's wearing a stock windshield cut down to an absolute bare minimum (I'm the one on the right):

There are a few things that come to mind based more on the bike's age than any differences between the years:

1) Charging and other electrics -- you'll definitely want to strip the bodywork off and inspect and clean EVERY electrical connection on the bike. It's a couple of hours well-spent. Suzuki still uses very marginal electrical connectors, and these are the root of many woes. Check the charging system as well. The nine wire connector under the left side of the fairing is also a notorious failure point -- the connectors for the three wires that feed the headlights are criminally undersized and unprotected, so (sooner or later) you will need to bypass the connector with these wires and install correctly sized connectors.

2) Stock Vee suspension sucks. Find out what, if anything, has been done with the suspension, and upgrade the fork springs and rear shock pronto ASAP. The most cost-effective combo is Sonic fork springs and fresh oil up front, and a Sasquatch shock rebuild/respring out back. You got a real bargain on the bike, so spend a few bucks on making it work right.

3) Seriously consider upgrading the brake lines to stainless. The factory says to replace the hoses every four years, which is overkill, but the point is the rubber hoses don't last forever.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey welcome to the '03 Club. What color did you get? Silver or Yellow. I'm guessing this isn't the purple bike of your earlier post, that was an '04, right? Ya got a good price.

Mine's a silver '03 which came with the following non-stock gear: sturdy luggage, crash bars, electric dual bus, BMW and standard 12V power outlet, hand guards and Renthal bars, Works rear shock, and 22" Cee Baily windshield.

What I've added, (Heat-troller dual remote mounted), grip heaters, H&R Hyper-Lite auxiliary tail light, Metzler Tourance tires (F&R), and 16T front sprocket.

Major differences, '03 was the year the added an extra seal to the clutch slave cylinder, IIRC, it was a mid-year change so you might check that out. The extra seal limits clutch fluid contamination. The clutch basket similarly went through a mid-year revise. YMMV regarding the noise the basket produces. My '03, bought with 27k on the clock shook pretty bad passing up through 3,700 RPMS. Like I wrote, it was a passing moment and I generally keep the engine speed at 4k or above.

The '04's got a chrome trimmed instrument cluster and a 32 bit ECU. We've got the 16 bit ECU and it works. The windshield and related mounting kit was changed in '04. I'm not aware of anything else.

What I like about my bike. I really like the Cee Baily windshield. I'm not that tall, 5'11" w/ 32" inseam, and I don't suffer the buffeting that others have mentioned. The engine is great! It has a ton of "character", loads of low end torque but it will also spin at 6-7k RPM all day. I'm currently around 52k miles and have put more 600 mile days on it than I care to admit which is one way of saying that the stock seat isn't half bad. Every year I debate a seat upgrade but money's tight and I'd rather spend it on gas, food, and campsites. The bike's definitely a keeper.

Good luck and happy trails!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I sold an '04 650 last year, and the age was no problem on that one. It didn't appear to have been parked out of doors all those years, and extended outdoor exposure takes its toll. (I presently have an '07 ABS wee.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts