StromTrooper banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
After 58 years of owning and riding motorcycles both on and off road...including off road racing of all types....and having never had an on road crash I have some thoughts.
Start with something smaller than a 650. Riding a smaller, lighter, bike is a much easier way to build up experience. Statistics bear this out...do research on people who are new to riding. The greatest number of crashes actually happen during the first two weeks of riding. (usually newbies on overpowered bikes). Learning to ride a bike is pretty easy. Learning how to instantly react and avoid a crash or handle a sudden slip due to gravel on the road, etc. takes lots of time and experience. Give yourself the time and space to build up those reactions. I have avoided more crashes than I can ever count due to vigilance and staying calm and controlling the bike during the unexpected. (racing really teaches you quickly on that!) Also, one of the most important skills a ride needs is how to read the road (surface conditions, curves, blind spots and much more. Also, learning how people in cages react to motorcycles. This is one of the critical skills all motorcycle riders need to develop to survive. Drivers will sit at a stop sign and look right at you and you think they will wait for you to pass. Instead they will wait until the last second and think they have time and they will pull out right in front of you. I have had this happen more times than I can count. I have had friends "T-bone" cars that did this. (And that doesn't usually end well for the biker). Learning these self preservation skills is the key to having a long, safe, career riding bikes. This things take a long time to learn and its much easier handing a bike in these unexpected conditions if the bike is "smaller" and lighter to be able to thrown it around.

Its you neck but a life of real world experiences, and the statistical data, bear out what I say. Start small and work your way up. You have many years to enjoy bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
I think we have a general agreement for the OP but no sign of a reply :unsure:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi There.
I would like some input preferably from experienced vstrom owners. Buying my first bike, narrowed it down to 2006 vstrom 1000DL with 75000km or a 2010 with 140,000 km.
Also, what are some key factors when viewing the bike?
I guess the OP only wanted advice on what problems there are with older Vees.

We as members expressed our concerns for the OP starting riding with a litre bike, only because of concern for the OP and our own experiences.

Learning to ride a motorcycle is the opposite to learning to surf because learning to stand up on a bigger board is so much easier and rewarding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Personally I look at things like is the chain properly tensioned (i.e. is owner doing basic maintenance), is there any sign of leaking gaskets (look in the skid pan and run your finger along the gaskets you can access), listen for valve noise when test riding (hard for a new rider), is kick stand damaged (have seen others and had one with broken mount), is there discoloration to the plastic (left outside for long periods), do they need new rubber, is the suspension needing springs, etc. A DL1000 is a lot for a first bike, personally I'd go smaller, good luck.

·
Registered
2020 1290 Adventure S
380 Posts
Yes you "should" purchase a small bike and start with that. But...... buy the bike that talks to you. If you don't like the bike you will not ride no matter if is the correct bike or not. Find one that gives you a smile and ride it. Yes I would stay away from suicide machines.
As far as the V-Strom goes. You are looking at a VERY solid bike. Any V-Strom will go over 100,000 miles with ease. If the prior owner took care of it the rest is just details.
Even if you did get one that clutch chuddar or some other issue I have found upgrading and farkling the bike to your liking can be just as much fun. On days that you don't ride a cool beer and some tools on the floor is nothing but a good time. Check back with forum and ask about the changes, upgrades and maintenance you want to make, post about the here and you will get more advice then you need. Plus your family will love you for all the gift ideas from upgrades to gear.

Welcome buy the bike you like, ride safe and check in with us. We would love to hear from you.
I sold my Strom and I stick around just because this is an awesome group.
See you on the rode.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yeah, I think the OP is gone. Joined 11 days ago, posted this thread and hasn't been here for the past 6 days.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts