StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There.
I would like some input preferably from experienced vstrom owners. Buying my first bike, narrowed it down to 2006 vstrom 1000DL with 75000km or a 2010 with 140,000 km.
Also, what are some key factors when viewing the bike?

·
Premium Member
'14 DL1000A ~_/) ~ '14 GSX1300R
301 Posts
Good luck with the hunt!
I'm too new to offer much
There might be certain issues within the year range for each of the bikes mentioned above - like a recall or a known component issue
Check the chain, the clutch feel, clutch sound engaged and disengaged.
These days it's so easy to clean up a poorly maintained bike and make it look new, but how the bike presents has a lot to do with my selection process.
Sorry, that's all I got

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
First bike should be more along the lines of a CB500X or SV650 (or variants like Bandit, etc.). Lower C of G and more controllable forgiving power.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My motorcycle instructor (a retired city police officer who spent 20 years in the traffic section) offered some advice when I told him I was interested in a DL1000 for sale locally. I too was concerned the Vee might be too powerful for a first bike. His reply? "Well sure, but look at you! You're huge!" I'm 6'6" and weigh 260 lbs. He said that for someone my size, a 1000cc bike behaves more like a 650cc bike, and that I would likely find that a 650cc bike is under-powered.

So, if you're 5'8" and 170lbs then I agree with others here that a DL1000 is probably too much bike for your first. But if you're a giant like me, and you focus on smooth throttle control from the get-go, then you'll probably find (like I did) that the DL1000 is an outstanding first bike. Having said that, my Vee is a lot of bike. But I really believe I would have been left wanting had I ignored my instructor's advice and purchased a smaller motorcycle.

At the end of the day, it's your call. Just know that even for a big guy like me, poor throttle control on the DL1000 will get you into trouble faster than you can say "low side." Go easy, especially coming off idle in the latter part of a turn, and you'll be okay. And even for me, the Vee feels quite top heavy. It took a lot of parking lot practice before I was really comfortable with low speed minimum radius u-turns. But with a couple of weekends worth of practice, it all came together. Youtube has some excellent videos on low speed handling. Whichever bike you choose, I recommend devoting as much time as you can to learning to confidently manoeuvre your bike at a walking pace. Practice plenty of figure eights, rolling u-turns, and u-turns from a stop until you can do them automatically without too much thinking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck with the hunt!
I'm too new to offer much
There might be certain issues within the year range for each of the bikes mentioned above - like a recall or a known component issue
Check the chain, the clutch feel, clutch sound engaged and disengaged.
These days it's so easy to clean up a poorly maintained bike and make it look new, but how the bike presents has a lot to do with my selection process.
Sorry, that's all I got
Much appreciated, than you

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi There.
I would like some input preferably from experienced vstrom owners. Buying my first bike, narrowed it down to 2006 vstrom 1000DL with 75000km or a 2010 with 140,000 km.
Ditto on others comments,,,the 1000 would be a lot to handle for a first bike. I picked up a 2012 650DL ABS with 13,000 on it in May of this year. It was in fantastic condition, not a lot of miles and very well maintained. I've logged 5,000 since then and have enjoyed every minute. It loves the paved twisties, handles well on gravel backroads and can comfortably cruise at 75 mph. I would seriously look for a newer (2012 and on) 650. They upgraded a few things, such as adding ABS in 2012 and improved the styling. I paid $5.200 which was about average. Go with the 650...you will have a blast and good luck...keep us posted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I totally agree. Start with something smaller and the most I would get is the V-strom 650 ( 480 lbs) which I have now but I am use to riding my Goldwing (800 lbs) so the V-Strom feels like a pedal bike compared to that bike. Get something smaller and more agile and ride that for at least one season maybe two and see how it goes. Its not all about how many cc's you have between your legs ( is it?...lol) Its how you learn to ride a motorbike "Safely" so you get to purchase another bike latter on after you have some experience. My 25 year old son is just going to get his license next spring so for his first bike I got him a 1984 Yamaha XJ550 which is a nice size bike to start and learn on. They are light and very agile which may get him out of trouble one day. Going to big on your first bike is very dangerous for not just you but who ever is on the back of your bike or is driving around you , etc. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would not get either V-Strom as first bike unless you're a big guy and then I still would not get the 1000. Get something like a ~350 cc and learn to ride first. Take the beginner motorcycle safety course and then take the intermediate course. Read everything you can on bike safety and then read it again. Motorcycles are dangerous and a new rider needs all the help they can get!

·
Registered
225 Posts
From another big guy who feel like a circus bear on a mini bike on anything under 1000cc I agree that you should start with something smaller.

At this point it's not about how much power you have/get, it's about gaining experience which is something you can do with a smaller, older bike.

Stroms have a great reputation for reliability and you can put a lot of miles on them. Heck, I'm pretty sure that there are lots of guys on this forum with a lot more miles on similar bikes.

Some other pluses;

- I assume the older, higher mileage bike is cheaper....that's good cus when it falls over you won't feel quite as bad. I'm not talking about high speed falling over, I'm talking about parking the bike, slow speed fall over. It happens, it's embarrassing, but noob...there's a good chance it will happen.

- Those older Stroms are fine bikes. That year does not have ABS, but still a good bike. New models have ABS and all sorts of extra goodies the newer you get. You will enjoy those once you get more experience. You don't need your dream bike right now because you don't even know what that is.

- if you don't have the mechanical chops (which I don't either) ask for service records or where they bike was serviced to see if it's been maintained well. If they don't have that, it would be wise to take it to a trusted shop and get them to give it a once over. One thing to consider is has the bike been ridden regularly or has it been sitting for awhile? If its been sitting in a garage for a year or two you should be concerned that the rubber, flexible or liquid components might need replacement. If they sit unused those things tend to deteriorate.

I'd get the 650 and ride it for at least 2 years. At that point you will have the experience and knowledge to decide which newer bike is good for you. Most of my lighter riding buddies on 650s really enjoy them. The only complaint I've heard is that they lack that extra bit of "oomph" on the highway, but it's never stopped them travelling at speed on long trips with me.

·
Registered
2006 to 105,000 mi, then 2005 DL650 over 50,000 mi
641 Posts
I loved the gen1 DL650 from 2005/2006. I did not like the DL1000 at that time because it required EFI mods and a sprocket change to run correctly and have a 6th gear you could use.

I was more of a 190# guy at the time (now more like 220). When riding the DL1000 of that era, I never felt it was scary. I'm not a daredevil, so maybe I have more self preservation than most.

My DRZ 400s is scarier than my DL650. Probably even than the DL1000. After riding the DRZ and taking the MSF course my wife rode the DL650 and said I could ride the DRZ home from the practice area. They really are friendly bikes.

Given the two options you suggested I would choose the 2010 and hope they sorted out the EFI by then. Someone here should know that.

Please ride safe whatever you buy. Take your time, do a lot of slow practice, stops, and not cutting corners. It takes the most skill to ride really slow, anybody can ride fast in a straight line, hardly anyone can do it slow. Find someone local who rides well and ask them to give you some pointers. The best thing you can add to your bike to improve your riding is gas. Enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
What they all said. Too much bike. SV650 ( not the S version ), CB500x both more appropriate and 100% something with ABS.
Those are high mileage machines for Canadian bikes with shorter riding season ...I bought a 2010 650 with ABS for $3k and 93,000 km and rode it without issue for another 20k km.
Very reliable and fun but I'd say iffy for a new rider let alone a 1Liter Strom.

Indicate your location and in particular your inseam. Stroms tend to top heavy and even with 50 years of riding I lowered my first one ( 30" inseam)

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
A couple of years from now, when you think you have this riding thing down pat and are a pretty gifted rider, take a step back and remind yourself this is not true and how quickly things can go bad. Look where you want to go, all cars are trying to kill you.

Reactions: Big Boy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Too many variables here without more input from the OP. Can he wrench? Certainly a consideration with high mileage anything. Where is he? Backcountry Yukon with 5 cars within 100 miles? Downtown Montreal? Inseam yes. Weight, yes. What kind of riding? I'd sure want to ride more than wrench getting started, so I'd four square advise a cherry or younger model. A dl1000 isn't a supersport, so all the parentheticals about too much I dunno. I know for certain sure that underpower is way more dangerous than overpower when it comes to positioning yourself in highway traffic. Lot of variables to consider. That said, we all want him to be SAFE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi There.
Hi PT.
After 45 years on motorcycles...

I would suggest you take along a person with plenty of experience when buying a uesd bike of any type.
As far as riding a new to you bike. After familiarizing yourself with all it's controls just get on and ride it. Get out of town and put some mileage under your belt to get the hang of it all. I know everyone is a little different how they approach riding.
Coming from many years of competitive riding off and on the road.
Best of luck for the future. I really hope you continue enjoyin the luxury of NOT traveling in a cage !.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
I'll be the lone dissenter and say that horsepower wise the DL1000 is not too much bike. 100HP is pathetic for a liter bike, your average 600 class bike has that much HP.

However it is an extremely top heavy bike and might be a difficult starter bike. I found it to be more top heavy than my FJR, which weighs a couple hundred lbs more.

Reactions: truex14 and Big Boy
1 - 20 of 29 Posts