StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to this forum, great source of information about the wee and the vee strom! I'm currently riding a KLR 650, like the bike but found it unpowered for long run and highway travel. I'm looking at the DL650, I have tried one (2008) and liked the power, ergos and v-twin engine. I'm going to buy it new. I'm not sure about buying a leftover 2011 (proven model, no issue with it) or wait for the new 2012. I'm not sure about a first year model redesing (had bad luck with my 2008 KLR, lot's of warranty work done on it). Also dealers will surely ask more $$ for the new model. Is the new gladius based 650 twin is by far superior to the old 650? Any of you have tried the new 2012? Any comments welcome! Sorry for my english, I'm from Quebec , but i'm trying to learn!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Since 2012 is an INCREMENTAL CHANGE and not a major revision and the reliability of the current incarnation is very well known, I would go with the 2011 .... assuming the price is right.

Even though the revisions in 2012 are relatively minor, there are still changes to cooling, ABS and EFI. Rather than be the guinea pig, and assuming you can get a good price on the 2012, I would go with what is tried and true. Particularly if you plan on keeping it awhile. I have a tendency, once I find something I like, to keep it until it is just flat out too expensive to maintain anymore.

I admit however, that I don't buy Rev 1a of anything; weather it is software, cars, motorcycles, Instant on Water Heaters or any other thing I can think of. I have had too many bad/questionable/irritating experiences over the years.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Since 2012 is an INCREMENTAL CHANGE and not a major revision and the reliability of the current incarnation is very well known, I would go with the 2011 .... assuming the price is right.

Even though the revisions in 2012 are relatively minor, there are still changes to cooling, ABS and EFI. Rather than be the guinea pig, and assuming you can get a good price on the 2012, I would go with what is tried and true. Particularly if you plan on keeping it awhile. I have a tendency, once I find something I like, to keep it until it is just flat out too expensive to maintain anymore.

I admit however, that I don't buy Rev 1a of anything; weather it is software, cars, motorcycles, Instant on Water Heaters or any other thing I can think of. I have had too many bad/questionable/irritating experiences over the years.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.
On another note - Farkles. We still don't know how many of the farkles are going to fit the 2012. This could be a big issue for many if you are considering hard saddlebags, crashbars, belly pan, etc. The 2011 will fit almost any Vstrom farkles out there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would wait, seems all the little changes may make a better bike than the sum of the parts, the current model will depreciate faster and the new motor is already proven in the gladius

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
In other words "Your guess is as good as ours"

The changes to the 2012 model are mostly cosmetic, I'm not going to be rushing out and replacing my 06 DL as soon as the new one is available - that seems to be the feeling of most current DL 650 owners.

Basically - There are some nice features on the new model, but not enough to make existing owners move up immediately. Provided you plan on keeping the bike a few years either model will probably be an O.K. buy. If you think you'll only have it a couple of years, 2012 would be the way to go.

If you can wait until the 2012 comes out (late 2011) there should be some good deals on 2010/2011 models new - decide then maybe ?.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
my opinion is that:

1) current owners wont change unless current one is about to RIP. yes some nice feature but not enough to upgrade

2) If you can wait till the end of year, for new owners to be, i would go and talk some deals on the new ones, the new one appear to address a few of the pet hates of current owners and while the changes are not dramatic, but they are more than skin deep and useful - if u are keeping it for a long while the intial $1,000 difference ( i am pulling figures out of thin air) will be very worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I would get a 2011 and not a 2012:
1. Reliability - 2011 is the most reliable DL650, since it has been stabilized for years. 2012 is a question mark. I'm not so sure that the new oil filter is as reliable with all those new hoses. 2013 will probably be more reliable - that is how things works for all products.
2. Price - 2011 has to be cheaper.
3. Farkles - 2011 has gazillion ready for it, new and used. 2012 is a big question mark.
4. Looks - Subjective, but I prefer the old look, in particular in white (with custom decals, even better). In the US there will be no 2012 white DL650. Black is just OK, Orange is hideous IMO.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree with PeteW. Wait until the new model comes out. Then you can take a look to see if you like the looks of the 2012, see some more reviews, take a sit on the bike. If at this point the new model doesn't make that much of a difference to you, then you might get a deal on a leftover 2011.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your input. I'm going to wait to see the new 2012 and maybe try it when demo will be available, then make a choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts