Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up people. Today I'm going to check out a 2005 V-Strom 650 for sale in my area (North Carolina) and would love some input on specific things to look at. Been riding a few years and had an FZ1, FZ6, FZ8 (Yamaha guy...)

The bike:
2005 DL650, owner says it runs and rides well
Cosmetically in decent shape for mileage
64,000 miles
Givi Monolock Hard Bags
Heated Grips, crash guards, hand guards, aftermarket seat, etc.
Good tires
Valves in spec @ 30,000 miles
Wheel bearings done throughout the years, serviced by dealer
Sat on a dealer floor in 2016 for about 8 months and then was bought by current owner.
Ridden about 1500 miles in the 2 years since he bought it. He also owns 2 BMWs.

Guy is willing to sell to me for $1800 and I just can't turn it down. I want to ride to Canada this summer and this is the bike if everything checks out.

So, question:

What maintenance/items should I take care to look at on a 2005 V-Strom with that mileage? Any known issues with this model year?

I'm planning to check all the standard stuff-sprocket, chain, rust in tank, plastics, weird idling or smoke, etc. but am just wondering if there is Strom-specific stuff I need to know about.

Thanks and I am looking forward to joining this community!

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Sounds like a winner. My 04 has 99.5K miles with no major issues. Haven't touched the wheel bearings but did a fork seal and the rear shock.
The 650's are a good all rounder that doesn't need much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At that price it is going to be hard to go wrong. Chain and sprockets are no big deal. If you have a volt meter, check the Stator output, but again not a hard job to replace if needed. If it was out West I'd be a customer.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. Sold my 05 with 122,000 mi. for more than that. Just check normal wear items and maybe the valves(Probably Ok if checked before, but then you'll know).

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Question is why is he selling the bike. Just because he has too many, then you are good to go. If it gave him trouble, you need to find out what kind of trouble.
The only not easily checked condition is a partially blocked fuel filter. It manifests itself under load (going up a good hill) in 4th or higher not wanting to rev over a certain rpm, say 6000. Not too difficult to fix with a fuel pump filter bypass and adding an external filter. Many threads about that procedure here.

Go for it, no real risk. If you don't like it sell it for 2k later or after you went through Canada. But you likely like it a lot and get eventually a newer Vstrom ;-).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The 2 weak points mechanically with the 650 are headlight and premature stator failure. The preemptive fix for the headlight is a relay, Eastern Beaver sells one, easy install. Stators are hit and miss, some fail early some don't, which is why people are telling you to test voltage. I have 74K miles on my 650 and haven't had to replace the stator, if yours hasn't been replaced yet it probably won't have too.

The 2 most common comfort issues for many people are the seat and windshield buffeting. Spend some time on the bike and if these are a problem for you you'll know it. Plenty of fixes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I could be wrong about this but I recall Greywolf mentioning the stator issue did not start until 2007 for the Wee's. It was in response to a post I submitted about doing mine (2006) and he said it hadn't been necessary.
That's not to say a stator couldn't be a problem (as with anything mechanical) but '06 and earlier dont suffer from the plague.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Question is why is he selling the bike. Just because he has too many, then you are good to go. If it gave him trouble, you need to find out what kind of trouble.
The only not easily checked condition is a partially blocked fuel filter. It manifests itself under load (going up a good hill) in 4th or higher not wanting to rev over a certain rpm, say 6000. Not too difficult to fix with a fuel pump filter bypass and adding an external filter. Many threads about that procedure here.

Go for it, no real risk. If you don't like it sell it for 2k later or after you went through Canada. But you likely like it a lot and get eventually a newer Vstrom ;-).
Its a 650, thats a 1000 problem.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts

I thought the fuel filter issue was a DL1000 issue, not a DL650 issue?
I wouldn't bother asking someone why they are selling something. If there are mechanical issues, do you think they will tell you?

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
Electrical issues with the 650 and 1000 are due to the starter switch assembly getting fried and the stator getting fried. The stators for God knows how long had a legitimate design flaw, the latest stator model is reportedly fixed. Installing headlight relays will fix the starter switch issue, and fuel pumps getting clogged with crap is a universal issue.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I thought the fuel filter issue was a DL1000 issue, not a DL650 issue? ...
I am speaking from personal experience. My 2004 WEE had the plugged fuel pump filter. It became very apparent blasting up the WV mountain roads and the sucker quit pulling over about 6k. Hardly noticeable when riding relaxed on level roads.

AND I always ask why they are selling. If they are evasive with that answer it tells you to be extra cautious. If the story gels most likely their other answers will be reasonably trustworthy as well. It's just a way to gauge the seller.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news! Bought the bike. The owner was a SUPER nice guy, turns out we actually had some mutual friends in another city through a church connection.

She runs strong, pulls hard, clutch grabs well without slipping. I changed the oil and filter (old oil was nasty, but no metal fragments), pulled the skid plate for cleaning, adjusted the windshield, added my RAM mount, and degreased the underside. Not registered/insured yet, just hanging out in my garage while I work on it.

Spark plugs are next, followed by a USB/12V outlet (which there's already some wiring for because he had a Garmin power supply run to the handlebars), and then I'm gonna get her on the road. For now I'll just ride it to school and work because my Tundra does not get great gas mileage...

I'd post pics but apparently I need to have 10 posts before I can do that. Maybe one day...

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congratulations! Sounds like you had a great deal!! Don’t forget to post up ride reports if you go anywhere fun.

Enjoy it and ride safe.

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will! I'm planning to ride it from North Carolina to Nova Scotia this June, and will be posting a ride report on the Epic Ride section of ADVRider. My riding buddy is actually buying his 2009 V-Strom 650 this Saturday for the trip. I've already posted a couple ride reports, one to the Outer Banks and one from NC to Utah last summer. Here are the links:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts