StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
X 2. The only reason I can think of is if it’s not a better deal. Ex. I’d have gone with an ‘18 over a ‘19 when I got my DL1000 in October, but the ‘18 wasn’t any cheaper.

I’ve pretty much always bought the previous year and/or style for motorcycles and four-wheeled vehicles. It’s a great way to save a good chunk of money.

Literally the only reason I can think of that I would go for the ‘20 Strom over a previous year model is cruise control. That being said, I’m not paying $3,000+ for cruise control (the likely price difference between my ‘19 and a ‘20).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some dealers deeply discount leftover non-current bikes. You should have the same warranty as new.

Only reason not to is if there is maybe some features or color that you desire but a couple thousand bucks savings can make you overlook that.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
No reason at all unless it's older than 2014. ABS is worth having.
ABS was an option on the 2007 and on, until 2011 when it became standard. At least for the Wee (DL650) in the USA, not sure about DL1000 or other markets.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
On FB someone just got a NOS 650 for $5500. 2015 I believe. :D

Gas might be bad and fouled the system is all I got for a bad thing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Anyone know why I might NOT want to get a new non current Vstrom?
If it is more than two years old, I would have them change the oil before delivery. Also check the brake fluid color: lemon sour good, honey or darker bad (moisture in system). My 2017-new-in-'18 was delivered with dark brake fluid. I should have had them transfuse it at point of sale, but, well, it was the first 60ºF day in a long while and...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
On FB someone just got a NOS 650 for $5500. 2015 I believe. :D

Gas might be bad and fouled the system is all I got for a bad thing.
But if its new thats the dealers problem to correct it under warranty.

As for an ABS vs Non-ABS model I'd have no problem buying a bike w/o ABS. Its not the amazing safety feature that some would lead you to believe.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
You may disagree all you like. Having or not having ABS either way is no big deal to me. I've had way more bikes w/o than with. IMHO like traction control it gives the unskilled rider false sense of security. Instead of learning to properly ride and control a bike they think ABS or traction will take up the slack of improper technique and keep them safe.

I like the video where the guy low sides because he stabbed the brakes in a corner and also stabbing the front brake on wet plastic or in gravel. I don't know about you but when these conditions arise (admittedly I've never ridded over yards of wet plastic sheet) is it proper technique to stab and hold the front brakes locking up the front wheel or are we taught to not brake in corners and modulate the brake lever in adverse conditions?

If ABS works so great on gravel or off pavement as depicted on the video why do most people disable the feature when riding off pavement.

If you look there are videos showing non-ABS brakes stopping in less distance than ABS equipped bikes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think people (like myself) would be used to dirt bikes where often you lock up the rear wheel to slow your descent and manage direction control on steep dirt tracks. With the ABS on you have little chance of stopping at all and little control downhill.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
If you look there are videos showing non-ABS brakes stopping in less distance than ABS equipped bikes.
Because idiots ?.

I tested the ABS on gravel when I got my first ABS equipped DL650. Mostly it did better than me so I leave in on off road, and since then it's saved my arse several times when I would have crashed without ABS.

Couple of hints, even ABS can't save you from "far too fast" and just grabbing a handful and hanging on doesn't work. It doesn't work a lot faster without ABS though I will concede that ;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Honestly "would have" crashed is sort of anecdotal. Just becasue you didn't doesn't mean you were going too. It's like arguing that loud pipes save lives and using the example of since I was never killed while riding a bike with loud pipes they must have saved my life.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,192 Posts
PerazziMx14, you can say all you want about ABS not being something you want. That is a fair statement. Saying ABS isn't something you need, is not a fair statement. There is just too much testing, actual evidence in use to say ABS is better for everyone on the street. Including experienced riders. While on a track you are....ready for anything at any moment. On the street the ability to brake HARD without thinking about the edge of traction WILL save you. Off road is still a place where ABS isn't quite up to being better. Yet.

BTW, old gas, brake fluid, bad battery, etc in a new unregistered bike are NOT covered by Warranty. That is the Dealers expense.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've never said ABS is something I do not want or won't use. I said ABS or the lack of ABS either way is not a deal breaker for me.

Wonder what saves more lives ABS or loud pipes?

·
Registered
267 Posts
ABS for off-road? NEVER. I'll say that again. NEVER.

There are MANY, MANY times off road when you want or need to brake slide the rear of the bike around and ABS prevents that. I also took a course with Shane Watts where you practiced locking up the front wheel to learn how the bike behaves. ABS will cut in way too quickly even on the front tire so I say no ABS there either. Now a V-Strom or any other ADV bike will NEVER see off road like a 250f but I still say riders should have the ability to turn it off.

On the pavement, especially in the wet, I see ABS as only an advantage. Especially when you can reliably yank both brakes in a panic stop and not have to think about impending lock up.

Back on topic to the OP, if the latest offering has nothing you want/need, get a new held over bike from 2018 or 2019 and save thousands. I like the look of the new 1050 and cruise control as well. Were it not for that, I would seriously hunt down a yellow 2018 if I could find one.

NC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts