StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks!
Let me start off by saying that I did my best to search the forum for any topics related to this but I came up empty. So I apologize if this is a repetitious post. Maybe you can point to the right place if you know of one?

Okay..so I'm new to the bike world. Have never ridden a bike or bought one ever so I was looking for some advice before I put money down on. Since I wanted something adventure styled I set my eyes on the new 2014 V Strom 650 ABS model. The MSRP is roughly $8500 everywhere I checked. My question to V Strom owners is this: Is around $8500 what you guys paid as well? Like cars, do the V Strom dealers usually have room to bargain the prices? Or what is advertised is pretty much what you'll get? How do I go about getting a better deal for a new bike? Any tools I can use that you guys would recommend? Any info and help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
I forgot to add... I live in the Southern California region.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
buy a used one... use the money you save to take an MSF course and buy all of the proper gear... seriously for a first bike... don't go new. It's your first bike, not your last :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the insight! I actually passed the MSF and am just waiting on the DMV to send me the new license. I did think about buying a used v-strom but 2 things I'm noticing
1) There not a lot of v-stroms on sale. Some of the ones that are have quite a bit of miles on them
2) I have literally ZERO knowledge of judging a used bike. I'm afraid of forking over cold hard cash and then regretting some unforeseen piece of equipment breaking down because I didn't check it out properly.
So here we are.....

·
Registered
561 Posts
Try Cycletrader and look for 2012 and 2013 new ones. I got my new 2012 Adventure for less than that, with tax title and license included, at the beginning of the year. Any of the 2013 or 2012 models still in stock should be much less than MSRP and are the same.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well you're on this forum... buy a used bike off a forum member and if it needs help ask us for help... I've only bought two new bikes out of the eight or so I've owned and I generally think buying new isn't the way to go especially for a new rider. My first bike was a 98 KLR 250... I've owned two KLR 250's, two KLR 650's, a Bandit 600, a Bandit 1200, a WR250F, a FJR 1300, and now my '13 Vstrom 650. One of the KLR 650's and my '13 Vstrom are the only ones I've bought new.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Well you're on this forum... buy a used bike off a forum member and if it needs help ask us for help... I've only bought two new bikes out of the eight or so I've owned and I generally think buying new isn't the way to go especially for a new rider. My first bike was a 98 KLR 250... I've owned two KLR 250's, two KLR 650's, a Bandit 600, a Bandit 1200, a WR250F, a FJR 1300, and now my '13 Vstrom 650. One of the KLR 650's and my '13 Vstrom are the only ones I've bought new.
I agree. I've owned a lot of motorcycles, some were new and some were used. I've never been burned. By a used bike. If you can find a good used 650, that would be the way to go. The VStrom is pretty much bullet proof, so unless one has even abused, it should be good to go, especially if it's a 2012 or newer. You seem to like that look.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
2 weeks ago I fund 2013 Expedition with another extras on it (worth about $1000) for buddy of mine. Like brand new. 2 months on the road. Not even brocken in yet. Less then thousend miles on it for less then you are willing to pay for a stock one. If you are new rider don't buy new one. Also as mentioned above you can get 2013 much cheaper then 2014. BTW in few years of my riding I never had a new bike (total of 12 or13 them) and not planning to do that. What a waist of money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To answer the original question, there is some room for haggling with dealers of new v stroms, especially if you can find a left over from previous years.

I bought this time last year (Sept'13) and there was a few hundred dollars of wiggle room, or some dealers would throw in the boxes from the adventure model. One dealer had a leftover 2012 model for $7000, but it didn't last long. One note, the dealer that offered the best overall price then did a hard sell on pre-paid maintenance plan. I went for it because I didn't already have a mechanic lined up, but in hindsight I would not have done the service plan since their service is really expensive.

·
Registered
561 Posts
To answer the original question, there is some room for haggling with dealers of new v stroms, especially if you can find a left over from previous years.

I bought this time last year (Sept'13) and there was a few hundred dollars of wiggle room, or some dealers would throw in the boxes from the adventure model. One dealer had a leftover 2012 model for $7000, but it didn't last long. One note, the dealer that offered the best overall price then did a hard sell on pre-paid maintenance plan. I went for it because I didn't already have a mechanic lined up, but in hindsight I would not have done the service plan since their service is really expensive.
:thumbup:

Find a leftover new model, 2012 or newer, buy the service manual and correct the errors in the manual that are listed elsewhere on the forum, and buy a nice set of tools and you will come out ahead on your purchase. -if you are set on a new model.

The bike is notoriously reliable and most of the maintenance you would need to do is well-covered in the pages of the forum.

Just my additional 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I fully understand and appreciate the idea of buying new, warranty, etc, but,

If you spent less than half of that on a nice used bike, you'd have lots of $$$ for riding gear, accessories, and a couple long weekend trips... ??

V-Strom 650 Suzuki

2004 Suzuki DL650K4 V-Strom Standard Equipment, 2004 Suzuki DL650K4 V-Strom Price & Specs | NADAguides

maybe that seller will negotiate price a little bit.
I agree, Have had 15 plus bikes , only bought new once , the vee is bulletproof. Check for liens on title , ask for maintenance docs. Just my $.02

·
Read Only
222 Posts
buy a pretty 2012+

The 2012+ is a much better looking bike in my opinion, sorry but I would not own the earlier unattractive model. You have to like your bikes looks as well as how good it is!!!! I now await the tirade of complaints about my comments.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought first from forum

for my first one I bought a 1 year old Wee from forum member about 500 miles away. we met half way and I rented a trailer from uhaul for $25. had some key accessories like centerstand and panniers and madstad. you might have to have some patience but being in so cal I am sure they come up for sale there pretty regular.

If you enter "prices" in google custom search box there is lots of info what king of deals people get - as I recall in your area they do not come down much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello all,
Sorry for being MIA on this thread the past 2 days. After reading everyone's comments I went back and started looking on CL again. Lo and behold someone had just posted a 2013 650 ABS Adventure model for a little under $7k. 240 miles plus some minor scratches from being dropped once. Practically a brand new engine for not having been ridden much at all. Heck, it has yet to make to the first service. I just got the paperwork done this morning and here we are :) Wish us both luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
take it easy at first

The DL is a heavy bike for a first bike. If you get a chance , get a small dirt bike to play on before you tackle any gravel roads on the DL.

ASSUME ALL DRIVERS ARE HOMICIDAL MANIACS OUT TO KILL YOU.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thoko: congrats on your purchase! I too just bought a '14 DL650 (non-adventure) a few weeks ago. My first bike since I was a teenager.

As far as accessories, I would go easy on buying too many items and just ride the bike and decide for yourself what needs to be upgraded. My first upgrades have been a Madstad bracket and 20" windscreen, R&G radiator guard, and a front fender extension.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Congrats to Thoko. I was just about to post support for your new bike desire, when I reached the post on your actual purchase. Damn good job. Now drop a bunch of bucks on farkles and keep our economy growing. And may the Schwarz be with you!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hello all,
Sorry for being MIA on this thread the past 2 days. After reading everyone's comments I went back and started looking on CL again. Lo and behold someone had just posted a 2013 650 ABS Adventure model for a little under $7k. 240 miles plus some minor scratches from being dropped once. Practically a brand new engine for not having been ridden much at all. Heck, it has yet to make to the first service. I just got the paperwork done this morning and here we are :) Wish us both luck!!
Congrats dude! Happy trails!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts