StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
While I save for a good condition Wee (my first bike), I impatiently consider buying a "well cared for" high mileage ride. It seams I see them with 80k miles on them for a modest price.
MY QUESTION: If one gets a truly high mileage wee like this, which really was cared for and maintained, I assume the engine and transmission are the items you would most likely be concerned with dyeing? What are those costs if they occur?
I appreicate the input! Yes, I am most likely simply waiting to have the cash for the right low mileage bike! However, I'm extremely excited to make riding part of my lifestyle here in the mountains. Knowledge is power.
Thanks again!
JP

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
There seems to be a supply of low mileage older model bikes too. Just have knock the snot out of Craigslist and the like.
Ad Hunt'r - Classifieds Search Engine

My 04 Wee only had 23K miles when I got it. Absolutely pristeen for $2500. Current KBB at the time for the bike.
My salvage 05 project bike has only 34K miles. Got that for a pittance. Replacement forks cost more. So stuff is out there.
Do your shopping down the hill at Costco at 50/395 and save the big buck costs of the Tahoe area.:wink2:
A friend comes all the way from Arnold to there occasionally. Nicer drive over Ebbetts Pass than going to Stockton.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
They go forever ...more likely to have other problems than motor or tranny if they were maintained.

I bought my 2010 Wee for $2450 with 93,000km on it and sold it 18 months late with 120,000km and had zero issues. Got $2450 for it.
I'd have no issue buying another high miler if maintenance was good.

Given you can buy a new CB500x for $6k and with cheap finance rates.....prices are being pushed lower on used machines.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the input Macdoc! I will search and stay open. Wondering if winter is coming here in the mountains. Hope to ride soon.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Notacop:) We intelligently / frugally downsized and probably can't fit the Costco supplies in the house. I don't want a pallet of TP to take the garage space I'm hoping to fill with a Wee.
Best,
JP

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Vegashotwheeler!
I am looking throughout the region for sure. As the wind howls this morning with an expected high of 43, thinking I may have to wait until Spring. However, I'm also thinking winter will make sellers around here a bit more negotiable. I will let everyone know about my progress. I appreciate your willingness to share!
Best,
JP

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Come Spring maybe we meet in the middle around Mammoth or so for lunch.
Have ran into a few people that go to Death Valley New Years to warm up.
Trailer down to lower elevations and then enjoy the warmer weather that we usually encounter at Furnace creek of the 60-70's each year for our annual ride to kick off the New Year.
Mike

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
How many miles a year you intend to ride? If its just 2k or 3k you will get tired of the older WEE before the Wee gets tired ;-)

Plus if you dump it, no big risk, so what if it's value goes down by 300 bucks, as long as you are ok. And most likely you will drop it, and be it in the parking lot or something similarly stupid. We all have done it.

That Vegas bike, at least here in the east, would not sell for that price. And they are certainly not difficult to find. Get your post count up and check the for sale section here as well. There are frequently real bargains to be had and in general members here don't screw other members over, so safe to trust what they say.

This one is a bit higher but see what you get : https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/419133-2012-v-strom-650-abs-adventure.html
Has more farkles: https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/418007-2006-650-a.html
Or this one: https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/417923-2006-red-weestrom-mi.html
Or this one: https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/418535-2011-dl650-abs-$4500.html
Boy there are some interesting candidates for a fly and ride, especially from MI >:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts