StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Has anyone purchased a floor model (never ridden) from a dealer? I'm considering it, but I have seen some scratches on the tank and other areas from people jumping on the bike.

I know the bike will eventually get scratched/marked, but if I'm paying for a brand new bike, I want to be the one to mark it up...or am I being too nit picky?

Would you get some bucks knocked off the price if you were in my shoes?

W

·
0 Posts
I've never purchased a floor model but if I were to pay full freight for a new ride scratches wouldn't fly.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I bought my 07 dl1000 'new' in Feb 08, with 17miles on the clock, for $8000 out the door, but it didnt have a scratch on it. I would see if they could buff em out or somethin.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,473 Posts
Rebel, if the bike has noticeable scratches they should be taken care of. If they won't buff out, a new panel is in order. UNLESS you want to make the deal with the dealer to knock off some money. Everyone wants their new bike to be flawless, but be realistic. The dealer did not put the scratches there, customers did. So be reasonable. Ask if they have the same bike in the back still in a crate ( you might be surprised! ).

Compare a bike purchase to a new car: the car might sit out in the sun and bad weather for months before bought. Very few new cars won't have a few blemishes caused by customers getting in and out, banging doors, etc. The bike is at least kept in covered storage........

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I specifically told a salesman I did not want the floor model and he said OK (my naivete). When I picked up the bike about six days later, I hadn't ridden in 19 years and the roads were still pretty sandy and it was cold. So when I got it home, I just put it in the garage and had to wait three weeks before I actually began riding it.

The first day I brought it to work, I was showing it to my riding co-workers as it was sitting in the sun. One guy pointed out that my "new bike's" windshield was scratched pretty bad. Indeed it was and I felt pretty sure they gave me the floor model anyway. There were some minor scratches in the paint as well. If that wasn't enough, the dealership owner griped he'd have to pay $50 for a replacement windshield and would not do it. But, he would take a windshield off of the next exact model being assembled out of the crate. I saw him do it and he told the mechanic to put mine on the "new" bike. Hope your dealer is more ethical than my former dealer.

PS. the brand rep wouldn't side with me at all. He said I had the bike three plus weeks and therefore, somehow, I did it and there whould be no recourse. All I could think was this dealer must sell a lot of bikes for that particular brand.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go ahead and identify these guys - you're only hurting other customers and riders by not giving out a warning. Unless this was a long long time ago...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I specifically told a salesman I did not want the floor model and he said OK (my naivete). When I picked up the bike about six days later, I hadn't ridden in 19 years and the roads were still pretty sandy and it was cold. So when I got it home, I just put it in the garage and had to wait three weeks before I actually began riding it.

The first day I brought it to work, I was showing it to my riding co-workers as it was sitting in the sun. One guy pointed out that my "new bike's" windshield was scratched pretty bad. Indeed it was and I felt pretty sure they gave me the floor model anyway. There were some minor scratches in the paint as well. If that wasn't enough, the dealership owner griped he'd have to pay $50 for a replacement windshield and would not do it. But, he would take a windshield off of the next exact model being assembled out of the crate. I saw him do it and he told the mechanic to put mine on the "new" bike. Hope your dealer is more ethical than my former dealer.

PS. the brand rep wouldn't side with me at all. He said I had the bike three plus weeks and therefore, somehow, I did it and there whould be no recourse. All I could think was this dealer must sell a lot of bikes for that particular brand.

I dont blame you. I would want it perfect as well....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts