StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying my first bike and have decided on a Wee. I'm not going to buy it new, mainly due to the insane prices charged for cars & bikes in South Africa (government import taxes, sigh).

Are there any specific things one should look at (or look out for) when buying and/or test riding a secondhand Wee? I'm only looking at '07-'08 model DL650's with under 10,000KM's (6200Mi)

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
This bike is about as reliable as they come. Since you are looking at ones with such low mileage there won't be much of anything to worry about.

The first valve check is not even due yet at that mileage range.
Look the bike over good for any damage. Bikes that have been down get the obvious things replaced(like mirrors, bar ends etc..) but you can still find signs of it being in an accident usually. Look low for damage, scraps on the pegs, sidestand, centerstand if it has one.. etc... The below the waist parts alot of times don't get replaced after an accident.

Take a look at the underbelly of the bike for any signs of major impacts.

Ask about maitenance, mods, what the used the bike for primarily. All lets you know about the owner which is just as important as the bike itself IMO.
If they do there own mait, ask what filters and oil they use. If they have never changed the oil they will stumble with this!
See if they did the initial service.

Listen the engine for any abnormal noise, test ride it to see if it "feels and sounds right"

Someone would just have to completly abuse one to cause much wear and tear on it in such a short time period/miles.

If your one to use alot of electrical things and draw power from the bike. The 08 has 25 more watts than previous models. And since there is no good way to get more power out of a Strom that is important to some.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Let's see. What I look for in any used vehicle is first and foremost is it owned and driven by an adult? Sorta eliminates stoppies, wheelies, burnouts, redline night on main street, crap like that. #2) Look at and talk too the owner. Well dressed, speaks intelligently, nice home, nice cars? You can probably expect a nice bike. The last used Goldwing I bought the guy answered the door in a shirt and tie and the rest of his house, garage, cars and affairs were just like him...professional and up front. #3) How does the bike look when you first see it...well cared for, beat all to hell, somewhere in between? First impressions tell you a lot. #4) If original owner, does he have the invoice and maintenance records for it? It's nice to get this stuff as you know the history on the bike and if it's been maintained. Look for reg. oil and filter changes, stuff like that. Does it need an expensive service check as soon as you ride off or has he been keeping up on that? #5) Is this guy a bike nut that's been riding all his life? Chances are if he is he's taken care of the machine and has had many over the course of his lifetime and know how to care for them.

The more you shop used vehicles the better you get at picking the keepers and the junkers. Know what you're looking for, know what it's worth and shop with cash in your hand...it's a powerful motivator. Don't be affraid to respectfully and politely walk away from a bad deal. I ALWAYS sleep at least one night on a deal to make sure it's what I'm wanting to do and help avoid buyers remorse or wallet robbery.

Be patient and don't buy something that's "almost" what you want. Once you spend your dough it's gone so don't compromise unless you can truly live with your decision (this is where the sleep over comes in handy.) I have in the past only to see exactly what I was looking for appear in the ads 2-3 days later and for less money than I paid !!

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
For 6 months my son and I shopped for a bike for him. Buying new was eliminated as an option upon getting an insurance quote.....OMG!!!!! Anyway, we did our research to determine which bikes were bullet proof and lasted forever. We eventually found a Honda XL600R that was a 1983 in phenomenal condition. It is probably the best buy we have ever made.

My last three bikes have been new, right off the dealer showroom floor, but I think those days are gone. I think every bike I purchase between now and (when I get too old to ride), will be used bikes.

By the way, during our research the DL650 was at the top of our list as a bike to purchase used. It is an awesome bike and can be found for a real bargain. One with 20-30k miles for $3k-$4k is a great value that has been treated right....oh yeah!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts