Strom Trooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of looking at vstroms and other sport touring bikes I've decided to pick one up. I'm going to be looking at a 2011 vstrom 650 with 42,000, appears to be in good shape with a lot of aftermarket parts. What are some things that I should be checking to make sure bike is in good shape? I've had bikes in the past and know the basics like, frame damage, cracked seals, rough idling etc. Any common issues with 2011's that I should be aware of?

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's about where my bike is at. Zero problems so far. Just look/ask about maintenance. Were the valves checked? Original owner? What did he use the bike for? Look over the aftermarket parts, did they do a good clean installation?

If you get it, let's go for a spin. You must be in the area with a name like that!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The first thing I look at is wear items. Tires and brake pads should have depth left, chain should be free of kinks, not pull away from sprocket more than 1/2 a tooth and look oily. Ask when/if fluids have been changed. These are all easy to replace, but can be used as bargaining tools.

Look for signs that the bike has been down like scratches on bar ends, brake/clutch levers, mirrors, etc. A tip over isn't a deal breaker, but if you see signs it was over and the seller says it's never been down you'll get an idea on his/her honesty.

Maintenance records are important. Valves are to be inspected very 15K miles. I don't believe the '11 had any recalls, but stators were known to die prematurely, ask about that.

Check out the seller if it's a private sale, if he/she seems to be fastidious (a well kept yard, house, clean organized garage) chances are the bike was well looked after.

Besides the stator issue, the only other problem is headlights that fail. The bike needs a headlight relay, if it has one installed great, if not you'll want one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts