StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new Gold Wing Tour, candy red. I've been riding two DL1000s, a '14 and a '19. Love those bikes. I like to take my wife with me on as many rides as I can but the V-Strom just doesn't have enough room and kills my bad back rather quickly when I don't have the space to shift around. I've had two other Gold Wings, so I kind of knew what to expect. The new bikes are so complicated with tech stuff, it has taken me a long time just to figure out the basics. Too much junk that I will never use and not enough of the basics that I want. Just as an example, it has no 12V auxiliary power plug and the owner has to buy and install his own. The GPS won't give you the speed limit info or your actual speed or elevation (the factory speedometer is significantly off, as is the one on the V-Strom). Those are things I use all the time. I installed a Garmin GPS on my V-Strom and it does everything I want and I even have a factory installed 12V plug to power it. The new Wing is just not user friendly like the V-Strom. With the V-Strom,You get what you need and it's easy to figure out. The V-Strom has the same size fuel tank as the new Wing but gets much better mileage and has greater range. I live in the West US and believe me, you can really use the extra range around here.

The new Wing is comfortable for riding two up and it runs and handles great, much better than my other Wings. I could make a long list of things about the new Wing that irritate me that are done better on the V-Strom. Just try and check and add oil to the new Wing. What a pain in the rear. I guess every thing has it's trade offs but I have gained a much greater appreciation for the V-Strom. Maybe over time I'll learm to appreciate the things the new Wing does so well. However, I'll be keeping my '19 DL1000 and ride it whenever the wife isn't coming along. Long live the V-Strom!
Gold Wing Tour.jpg
IMG_1148.JPG

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm amazed that the Wing doesn't come with a bevy of 12-volt outlets, USB ports, and cupholders. Wake up Honda!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Looks like the stock seat on the Strom. An upgrade there might have solved the problem.
Of course, having an additional bike is not a bad thing, and it seems you can use the same shade of touch-up paint on both.
Interesting front end on the wing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the stock seat on the Strom. An upgrade there might have solved the problem.
Of course, having an additional bike is not a bad thing, and it seems you can use the same shade of touch-up paint on both.
Interesting front end on the wing.
I actually have a sheepskin pad and an AirHawk under it for the wife. I also have a padded backrest for her. She said it is nice but "it's not a Gold Wing". She was okay with the V-Strom and when I am riding solo, I am quite comfortable. There just is not enough space when we ride together. At least I am lucky enough to have both. How much better can it get?

·
Administrator
16,609 Posts
New Wing is pretty much my dream bike, so most certainly no buyers remorse would occur for me. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Jim, the 'Wing is certainly the Cadillac of touring bikes. Hopefully you get to love it.

I got to the point years ago where weight was a big deal in my choice of bike. This is not just considering the worst case (picking it up), but also the everyday living with it (pushing it around the garage, parking spaces and such). Then there is maneuvering at a near stop like turning right at a stop sign. Sure, when you get to 15-20 mph the bike loses 200 lbs, but still... I said back then that no bike should weigh as much as a small car. That was an exaggeration, but I said I didn't want a bike heavier than 600 lbs. Now, these days, that is pretty hard to find in a sport/touring and impossible to find in a touring bike. My old Trophy 900 is 550 lbs, is all day comfortable and roomy for two and has very sporty handling. BUT, it's old, outdated and carbureted.

My choice today would likely be an FJR 1300 at 640 lbs (200 lbs less than the 'Wing) or a Trophy SE at 700 lbs (140 lbs less than the 'Wing).

Maybe something to think about in a year or two if you still find yourself not 100% in love with her like with the Stroms.

I've always lusted after a Valk, but the weight kept me away. Last summer my friend's father came home on his new-to-him 1999 Valk. Gorgeous and he was way smaller than me. Made me wonder - AGAIN.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jim, the 'Wing is certainly the Cadillac of touring bikes. Hopefully you get to love it.

I got to the point years ago where weight was a big deal in my choice of bike. This is not just considering the worst case (picking it up), but also the everyday living with it (pushing it around the garage, parking spaces and such). Then there is maneuvering at a near stop like turning right at a stop sign. Sure, when you get to 15-20 mph the bike loses 200 lbs, but still... I said back then that no bike should weigh as much as a small car. That was an exaggeration, but I said I didn't want a bike heavier than 600 lbs. Now, these days, that is pretty hard to find in a sport/touring and impossible to find in a touring bike. My old Trophy 900 is 550 lbs, is all day comfortable and roomy for two and has very sporty handling. BUT, it's old, outdated and carbureted.

My choice today would likely be an FJR 1300 at 640 lbs (200 lbs less than the 'Wing) or a Trophy SE at 700 lbs (140 lbs less than the 'Wing).

Maybe something to think about in a year or two if you still find yourself not 100% in love with her like with the Stroms.

I've always lusted after a Valk, but the weight kept me away. Last summer my friend's father came home on his new-to-him 1999 Valk. Gorgeous and he was way smaller than me. Made me wonder - AGAIN.

Cheers,
Glenn
Interesting thread, I’ve always like the Gold Wings too but definitely prefer a lighter bike for everything but interstate cruising. I also have always thought the Trophy is is good looking bike.
I think if I ever go full on touring it will probably be a BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased a new Gold Wing Tour, candy red. I've been riding two DL1000s, a '14 and a '19. Love those bikes. I like to take my wife with me on as many rides as I can but the V-Strom just doesn't have enough room and kills my bad back rather quickly when I don't have the space to shift around. I've had two other Gold Wings, so I kind of knew what to expect. The new bikes are so complicated with tech stuff, it has taken me a long time just to figure out the basics. Too much junk that I will never use and not enough of the basics that I want. Just as an example, it has no 12V auxiliary power plug and the owner has to buy and install his own. The GPS won't give you the speed limit info or your actual speed or elevation (the factory speedometer is significantly off, as is the one on the V-Strom). Those are things I use all the time. I installed a Garmin GPS on my V-Strom and it does everything I want and I even have a factory installed 12V plug to power it. The new Wing is just not user friendly like the V-Strom. With the V-Strom,You get what you need and it's easy to figure out. The V-Strom has the same size fuel tank as the new Wing but gets much better mileage and has greater range. I live in the West US and believe me, you can really use the extra range around here.

The new Wing is comfortable for riding two up and it runs and handles great, much better than my other Wings. I could make a long list of things about the new Wing that irritate me that are done better on the V-Strom. Just try and check and add oil to the new Wing. What a pain in the rear. I guess every thing has it's trade offs but I have gained a much greater appreciation for the V-Strom. Maybe over time I'll learm to appreciate the things the new Wing does so well. However, I'll be keeping my '19 DL1000 and ride it whenever the wife isn't coming along. Long live the V-Strom!
View attachment 270494 View attachment 270496
I have exactly the same two bikes, both red as well. Believe me, you'll learn to love the Wing. I hope I can grow to love the V-Strom as much. Mine is the 650XT, though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have exactly the same two bikes, both red as well. Believe me, you'll learn to love the Wing. I hope I can grow to love the V-Strom as much. Mine is the 650XT, though.
That's interesting. My #2 son has a '19 model 650XT and we have ridden a lot together. He loves his 650 but feels the seating and reach is not quite right for him. We swapped bikes one day, so we got a chance to really compare. He likes the ergonomics of my '19 1000 better and loves the power. However, he is an economy freak and gets about 10 MPG better than I do on the 1000. I was shocked to see how well he could stay with me on an acceleration contest but when it comes to roll-ons, the extra torque of the 1000 really comes into play.

I also didn't like the ergonomics of the 650 and the lack of torque but the engine is really smooth and runs great. A lot of it is just personal taste but I couldn't wait to get back on the 1000. You wouldn't know I like them, I've only had 4 so far. Take a DL1000 for a spin one day and see what you think.

We're taking the Wing out tomorrow. Let the bonding begin!
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Interesting. I have a 2018 DCT, and a 2018 DL650XT. I HIGHLY modified both bikes with farkles. Needless to say, stripping down the DCT where there was almost no plastic left on it was a multi-week chore.
I just finished a 9 week trip from Seattle down thru Mexico to Guatemala and Belize on the VStrom. Had a fantastic time and the VStrom was perfect for it.
Like you, I was very disappointed shortly after I bought the Wing, mostly for the storage, which of course I knew about, but after a trip with my wife saw how limiting it is.
I've now grown to like the Wing, and am figuring out work arounds to the storage issue, although I think the lack of storage was a huge mistake by Honda. They're trying to attrack Gen XRs or millennials, but I don't think that's ever going to happen.
The VStrom does what it does, and the Wing does what it does. Like me, I think you'll get over your disappointment in time. The technology doesn't bother me at all, just spend some time in the manual and you'll figure it out. You're right about the Nav, and I'm continually having problems with APC, but I think it may be because I hadn't turned off blue tooth on my iPhone, we'll see on the next ride.
Yes, the Wing is only the 2nd bike I've owned after riding for 49 years now that I just can't get super excited about, but it's a good tourer and handles very well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had a chance to ride it a bit now and am gradually getting through the 242 page manual. The 85 page Navigation manual will have to wait a while. The Wing really handles well and I am getting about 44 MPG whereas under the same conditions the V-Strom 1000 will get around 49 MPG. That can be expected considering the 40% increase in weight with the Wing. It does make a huge difference with the wife on board. Far better than the V-Strom. I am liking the Wing more but the criticisms still stand. There is no way I'll part with the DL1000. Taking it out today.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've had a chance to ride it a bit now and am gradually getting through the 242 page manual. The 85 page Navigation manual will have to wait a while. The Wing really handles well and I am getting about 44 MPG whereas under the same conditions the V-Strom 1000 will get around 49 MPG. That can be expected considering the 40% increase in weight with the Wing. It does make a huge difference with the wife on board. Far better than the V-Strom. I am liking the Wing more but the criticisms still stand. There is no way I'll part with the DL1000. Taking it out today.
Don't forget that when setting multiple waypoints in the Wing, you can bypass a waypoint while you're riding using a prompt on the screen, so for example you wouldn't have to drive into a town center to "eat up" the waypoint.
Don't let the electrics intimidate you, once you get ahold of it, they become intuitive. Really the "hardest" thing is to just get you helmet headset paired with the bike. And again, make sure you turn off bluetooth on your iPhone when it's plugged in so you can use ACP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't forget that when setting multiple waypoints in the Wing, you can bypass a waypoint while you're riding using a prompt on the screen, so for example you wouldn't have to drive into a town center to "eat up" the waypoint.
Don't let the electrics intimidate you, once you get ahold of it, they become intuitive. Really the "hardest" thing is to just get you helmet headset paired with the bike. And again, make sure you turn off bluetooth on your iPhone when it's plugged in so you can use ACP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have several bikes in the garage, one of which is a Gold Wing. I find myself riding the DL1000 90% of the time. Nuff said.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You get 49mpg out of a Vstrom 1000???

·
Registered
347 Posts
I just finished a 7,000 mile trip down thru Mexico and Central America on my 2018 DL650. Here's my mpg at stable speeds. These are minimums, occasionally I'd get almost 5mph better than these. Average for the trip = 43mph, but on the last legs back into the US on the interstates I was moving at up to 85mph consistently so that probably ruined this overall figure.
70mph = 40mph
65mph = 45mph
60mph = 50mph
55mph = 55mph
50mph = 60mph.

My 2018 Wing DCT gets 45mph all day long including a mix of highway and mountain twisties.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am a conservative rider and mostly ride local back roads. If you were to see the beautiful area I live in, you would think you died and went to motorcycle heaven. Anyway, rides are usually at speeds between 45 and 70 MPH. I just got back from finishing a 150 mile ride. My indicated ending fuel useage was 52 MPG. 49 MPG is good for all over around here and I get that on both of my DL1000s.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts