StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am considering buying a 2018 DL1000 Suzuki demo bike. About 3000km on it for about $3000 less than mrsp. Think I should pull the trigger? Or would you pass knowing that that is hard demo mileage? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts
Unless it was dropped or crashed it is probably not hurt in any way.

I think I know the answer already, but does it come with the full warranty?

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I'm with Basketcase. Three grand off the price in exchange for 1800 miles on the odometer sounds like a good deal. I would ask the dealership if they did the first service at 600 miles, since the bike's well past that and it was still theirs when it hit that service interval. If it wasn't done, I'd definitely want it done before the deal was final.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Or would you pass knowing that that is hard demo mileage?
I took a 2015 for a demo ride when the local dealer had a demo day... the route they had mapped out definitely would not qualify as "hard demo mileage"

Now, if it was a demo GSXR, then maybe the Suzuki employees would've likely added some extra "hard mileage" but on a Vstrom, I doubt it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had 2 demo bikes in the past and never had an issue. Dealers usually take good care of these units, it's in their interest to keep them in mint condition. With 3K discount I would say go for it!

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
add my voice to the go for it even tho I never buy current.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Really isn't all that great a discount.
Best they can do?

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Yah, I'd get one if it rides properly. I just demoed a BMW 310R and it was so poorly set up and the fuel gauge was reading empty. Not the sort of situation that evokes reliability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Best they can do?

They said that was their best price, but I haven’t really sat down and hammered it out, I admit I am not the best at negotiating, and generally take their second offer when I try to get another $500 off or so. Thinking it is not a bad deal after reading responses. If they throw in some stickers and a baseball cap and they will have me! I don’t believe their margins would be that high on it given the $3000 off to start.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
An '18 DL1000 where I just bought my XT was $9499 + 300 setup and fees. XT $9999

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just be aware that the warranty from Suzuki will be from the first date it was rego'd as a demo from the dealership NOT the day you take ownership. Not really an issue but something to be aware of. Got caught out on a previous bike that was out of warranty because of this. Unless it's different over your way, but i would ask for the exact end of warranty date so you are aware.

·
Registered
670 Posts
You could always negotiate a 1 year warranty extension, just be aware that the extended warranty doesn't cover everything.

That being said, if there were problems they'd already would have manifested themselves.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'm with Lrobby99. I'd think you could get 3K and more off a new 2019 DL1000 substantially more off a 2018 demo

MSRP of the 2019 DL1000 is $12,999 + $305 destination

New 2019 DL1000 @ Romney Cycle in Romney WV - $9,650.00 no destination or dealer prep fees.

Right there thats $3654.00 off MSRP possible more if your local dealer tries to tack on dealer prep fees.

Currently at $9,650.00 it's more cost effective for you to buy the new 2019 at Romney spend $500 to have it shipped to you and still spend less than buying the 2018 demo.

·
Registered
619 Posts
They said that was their best price, but I haven’t really sat down and hammered it out, I admit I am not the best at negotiating, and generally take their second offer when I try to get another $500 off or so. Thinking it is not a bad deal after reading responses. If they throw in some stickers and a baseball cap and they will have me! I don’t believe their margins would be that high on it given the $3000 off to start.

The original margin maybe, but I'm sure that Suzuki US and/or the zone is "interested" in the dealer moving the bike to the public side of the curb. :wink2: There's factory to dealer promos, they aren't going to go hungry It wouldn't hurt to ask for a center stand or crash bars or some other farkle(s) that you'd like: "Put a centerstand on 'er and I'm a check writer..." The Dealer writes off a center stand and you get added value.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Best they can do?
Its not a "bad" deal at all and I agree it probably hasn't been abused, but I kind of lean in this direction as well.... Its now a 2 year old motorcycle that has since undergone a rather significant generational update... If you looked around a bit you might find a left-over new one for that much or less...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts