StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal. I bought my '07 650ABS model on the last week of March. Here it is mid-July and I just performed the 7500 mile maintenance last night.

This got me thinking that at this rate the bike is going to have major amount of miles in no time. So, here's the question that I want to pose:

In this situation, we'll say 25,000 miles a year, I'm wondering what's best for my money. Where I live I can pretty much ride all year and my commute is 400miles a week. I came up with three scenerios but I'm sure there's more.

1. Keep the bike until it finally dies of old age?
2. Sell it every year with about 25K miles on it, eat the depreciation, and buy new?
3. Sell it every other year with 50K miles on it and buy a low mileage used bike to replace it?

I'm loving the Strom and will likely stay with it and transfer what farkles that I can each time.

Any input?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seems like buying a new bike every year would be an awful waste of money since you lose on the depreciation, but I guess after a while you would build a good relationship with your dealer. Maybe you can make up the money with the cash you are saving riding a bike to work that far.

One of the reasons I bought the Strom was the reputation for being a very long-lived and reliable bike. Is 50K a point where the reliability starts to fade?

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
I think #3 makes the most sense. Low mileage 2-4 year old bikes aren't hard to find. Keep it until you feel like it's no longer reliable enough for your needs. I don't see any reason you couldn't get 70-80k out of a wee.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I think if maintained these bikes should get 75K or more! They are Japanese made you know!:) :)

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like buying a new bike every year would be an awful waste of money since you lose on the depreciation, but I guess after a while you would build a good relationship with your dealer. Maybe you can make up the money with the cash you are saving riding a bike to work that far.

One of the reasons I bought the Strom was the reputation for being a very long-lived and reliable bike. Is 50K a point where the reliability starts to fade?

I wouldn't think so, nor did I intend to imply that. I was just thinking that as far as resell I probably would shy away from a bike with over 50K on it so I imagine that buyers may feel the same. I really only said 50k because for me, that would be about 2 years worth of riding.

And as far as saving money on gas. I have been big time!! My Jeep Cherokee costs me just over $100 a week to drive while the bike runs about $25. So just with that fuzzy math I'm looking at about a $300 savings per month. Thank you V-Strom!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm at 25k in 10 months of riding my weestrom. My only issue with getting a new\different bike is you could get a lemon. I'd rather keep a know good product and then replace it if it becomes unreliable.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Replace it every other year

By your math you are saving the equivalent of a new bike in gas funds. If you bank that difference you can pay cash for a new bike every two years. Transfer the farkles and use the proceeds from the bike sale to finance new gear and a trip or two.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If you put on that kind of mileage, you might consider getting the maximum extended warranty. Typically those things aren't worth it, but the Suzuki warranty gives you unlimited miles.

Too late in the week for me to do math, but it might be worth thinking about.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I'm at 25k in 10 months of riding my weestrom. My only issue with getting a new\different bike is you could get a lemon. I'd rather keep a know good product and then replace it if it becomes unreliable.
I have to agree with this. My last bike had all of the kinks worked out and I had no reservations about taking off on a ride to anywhere. When I bought my Vee a couple of months ago I was a little nervous about going to far away from reality on a ride. Now I have confidence in the Vee but it is that period of time when you just don't know. I say if it runs good and you take care of it keep it.

For the miles you are putting on it, being commuter miles, I would keep it until it dies. Maybe you have a bike that will run forever and think of the savings then.

DESTRO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im on Randy Os page. Why shouldnt it last 100,000 plus. Water cooled,fuel injected with an oil cooler. You might tear it up quicker than that but I dont think you will wear it out that fast. Heck air cooled 850 suzukis are still runnig after 75,000 with not much more that normal maintenance. I know I gave mine to my son.
mel

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok, one step closer to your goal: Since the '08's are out now (and the dealers in L.A. are dealing deep on '07's, which is what I originally looked at) I'll offer to buy yours instead.

That way you can move up to the new mono-black '08, can start with all new (odo reading, etc.), and already have a buyer for your current Strom that's been clocking up the miles before it gets more on it... (Smiling like I'm doing you the favor...) But seriously, I'm in the market for a DL650, so if you do decide to sell, I'm waiting for the right easy cash deal. Your mileage is not so different from the others I've been looking at... Except you haven't considered selling yours. If you do, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, one step closer to your goal: Since the '08's are out now (and the dealers in L.A. are dealing deep on '07's, which is what I originally looked at) I'll offer to buy yours instead.

That way you can move up to the new mono-black '08, can start with all new (odo reading, etc.), and already have a buyer for your current Strom that's been clocking up the miles before it gets more on it... (Smiling like I'm doing you the favor...) But seriously, I'm in the market for a DL650, so if you do decide to sell, I'm waiting for the right easy cash deal. Your mileage is not so different from the others I've been looking at... Except you haven't considered selling yours. If you do, please let me know.
Well now.. that's an interesting idea. Probably not gonna happen, but an interesting idea all the same LOL

I've seen the pictures of the '08's but no idea when they'll actually hit the streets. The '07ABS's weren't hardly available until just a few months ago and my local dealer just finally sold his last '06 and just this week got their first '07 in.

I was thinking that I'd go looking for an extra low mileage '08 about a year after they've been on the road. By that time my bike will still have a decent resale value and plenty of life left in it.

But, with all that said. If anytime soon I hit the lottery and I'll be looking you back up to give you a good deal on this one as I buy a bigger stable and start filling it :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well now.. that's an interesting idea. Probably not gonna happen, but an interesting idea all the same LOL

I've seen the pictures of the '08's but no idea when they'll actually hit the streets. The '07ABS's weren't hardly available until just a few months ago and my local dealer just finally sold his last '06 and just this week got their first '07 in.

I was thinking that I'd go looking for an extra low mileage '08 about a year after they've been on the road. By that time my bike will still have a decent resale value and plenty of life left in it.

But, with all that said. If anytime soon I hit the lottery and I'll be looking you back up to give you a good deal on this one as I buy a bigger stable and start filling it :)

Reason is as I understand it, the 650 Strom is a very overlooked bike by buyers looking for transportation. They either look at a cruiser (ugh) or a race-tuck sport bike. This comes form the latest issue of Cycle World:::
"Best lost in the shuffle motorcycle?" 650 Vstrom....
But the Kawi Versys? Looks like a BMW F650 mated with an SV650 and this is the spawn. Yuk! But someone will buy it. There is an a$$ for every seat.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I'd keep the same bike. Maybe do a compression check at 100K miles & not worry about it if it's not smoking & rattling. When it does come time for an overhaul, that's still cheaper than a new bike.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 06 has 33,000 kms, no problems at all, ever. Same chain, changed front sprocket to 16T.

Just rode my bike to the Cottage in Nova Scotia. I rode from Petawawa On to St John NB in 14 hours, covering a little more than 1300kms. No problems at all, ever.

I fully expect to get more than 200,000kms. At that point I will trade for a new V-Strom 650, ABS.

BTW, Moose are big, hard to see at night and scare the crap out of you.

Blessings,

Christopher.

·
Banned
944 Posts
So here's the deal. I bought my '07 650ABS model on the last week of March. Here it is mid-July and I just performed the 7500 mile maintenance last night.

This got me thinking that at this rate the bike is going to have major amount of miles in no time. So, here's the question that I want to pose:

In this situation, we'll say 25,000 miles a year, I'm wondering what's best for my money. Where I live I can pretty much ride all year and my commute is 400miles a week. I came up with three scenerios but I'm sure there's more.

1. Keep the bike until it finally dies of old age?
2. Sell it every year with about 25K miles on it, eat the depreciation, and buy new?
3. Sell it every other year with 50K miles on it and buy a low mileage used bike to replace it?

I'm loving the Strom and will likely stay with it and transfer what farkles that I can each time.

Any input?
One significant variable you forgot in your question was, how about Sales Tax. I notice you live in California, isn't the sales tax about 8%?

You sell your old scoot to a third party, you'll need to pay an about $500 in taxes (sales tax, tire tax, etc.), everytime you buy a new scoot. :???:

Put that into your calculator.

Just change the oil/filter frequently (preferably with Synthetic) and ride, ride, ride, until it almost drops. LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts