Strom Trooper banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
As far as I know there are no Vee's that have been flashed. No data or charts to compare.
My 1000 K7 was flashed. I posted this in the beginning. I had a shop with a dyno do it using a yosh box. I am not sure how much adjust-ability the parameters have, but mine had a hugely annoying stumble in the 3000 rpm range that drove me nuts. The tuner got rid of it and the bike ran much better....like it should have from the factory. The tuner said it picked up a few horsepower, I took his word for it.

BUT....it came at the expense of some fuel mileage. I dropped from around 40 mpg to 35 mpg. It was worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wonder what you would get with just the SV cams, ignition advance, TRE? The stock DL pistons/compression would allow it to run on about any fuel and save a boatload of money over installing SV pistons. With those mods, the aftermarket exhaust might make a difference.

I have ridden with Rob, lower gearing isn't going to be much help to him..........I can't keep up solo and he has Tina on the back.......
I switched to a 42t rear from the 43 due to the amount of highway miles I was putting on the bike. I like the ratio with the cruising speeds I run however it came with a cost. Not sure I want to switch back due to the vibes.
I will probably just chill on looking for more grunt. I'm not wanting to do any internal mods and unless someone cracks the code and offers a flash I think it will be fruitless effort.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My 1000 K7 was flashed. I posted this in the beginning. I had a shop with a dyno do it using a yosh box. I am not sure how much adjust-ability the parameters have, but mine had a hugely annoying stumble in the 3000 rpm range that drove me nuts. The tuner got rid of it and the bike ran much better....like it should have from the factory. The tuner said it picked up a few horsepower, I took his word for it.

BUT....it came at the expense of some fuel mileage. I dropped from around 40 mpg to 35 mpg. It was worth it to me.
I'd like to know what parameters were adjusted. Secondaries? Rev limiter? Etc,,,
I have fixed my fueling with a good map on my PC-V and yes it came with the price of lower gas milage.
I have heard of the Yosh box but not sure if it is limited.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Rev limiter no change......never asked about this.

My uneducated guess is the mapping is primarily injector pulse duration versus rpm with possible timing tweaks. His comment was it needed more fuel at low rpm range and that EPA maps them too lean for off idle exhaust.

If it helps.

Commonwealth Cycles (high end euro bikes but carried Suzuki as a loss leader)
Louisville, KY
Chad (head engine guru)

He likely would tell you by phone what is adjustable. I doubt it is better than a PCV tune.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar thread on here a while back. I got a few suggestions for TRE, flywheel advancer key, new factory pro velocity stacks in the airbox, and a free'er flowing airfilter, among some other things. You may want to take a look at it also: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/422451-performance-mods-04-dl1000.html

I put the TRE on and I know you'll find just as many threads on here that says they are totally placebo but I felt like the bike was fast as shit after I plugged it in and went for a ride. It's like $100. Was totally worth every penny for me.

The velocity stacks and air filter will be next mods. The advancer key would make the biggest difference probably but I'm cheap and like to run 87 and don't like the panic when I can't find a station with 93.

If someone was handy I'm still not convinced that just swapping an entire SV engine and throttle bodies with the applicable year where you don't have to hack up the wiring harness wouldn't be a good move. Those engines are getting "relatively" cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Rev limiter no change......never asked about this.

My uneducated guess is the mapping is primarily injector pulse duration versus rpm with possible timing tweaks. His comment was it needed more fuel at low rpm range and that EPA maps them too lean for off idle exhaust.

If it helps.

Commonwealth Cycles (high end euro bikes but carried Suzuki as a loss leader)
Louisville, KY
Chad (head engine guru)

He likely would tell you by phone what is adjustable. I doubt it is better than a PCV tune.
Thanks for your input. I always thought the Yosh was limited to fueling and a few other things but wasn't positive and still not.
The guy that flashed the ECU on my M109R used a specific program for that bike and year that allowed adjustments on several parameters including water temp. He removed the factory limiter and my secondaries stay open...
Not to mention fueling. The difference in the power and the way the bike runs is incredible.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I haven't heard anything about flashing newer Vees, post 2014. Can't comment on that. But nearly every early Vee that runs well at low rpms has been flashed or has a PC of one type or another. It's only the low speed setting that needs to be changed. A PCFC is handy because you can have several maps loaded depending on what type of riding you are doing. Economy for trips, one for performance, etc. The Vees come from the factory too lean at low throttle and RPM. The Wees seem to be fine.
SV engines are certainly cheap enough and bolt right in. Bigger valves, bigger injectors, better cams, etc. Unfortunately, you can't do that without changing to wiring loom on a Strom to the SV wiring loom, which appears to be a nightmare. Even the Suzy V-engine guru I used didn't get it done successfully and just put the bike back to stock. On the other forum, there is a huge writeup by John on how he did it. When I got my work done on my engine, I could have used SV heads with the larger valves. However with our little 45 mm injector bodies, (compared to the SV's 53mm) there was no significant advantage to it. Our bodies can only be reamed out one or two mm. There's not much meat there. Believe me, if I could have swapped an SV in there, I would have.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I haven't heard anything about flashing newer Vees, post 2014. Can't comment on that. But nearly every early Vee that runs well at low rpms has been flashed or has a PC of one type or another. It's only the low speed setting that needs to be changed. A PCFC is handy because you can have several maps loaded depending on what type of riding you are doing. Economy for trips, one for performance, etc. The Vees come from the factory too lean at low throttle and RPM. The Wees seem to be fine.
SV engines are certainly cheap enough and bolt right in. Bigger valves, bigger injectors, better cams, etc. Unfortunately, you can't do that without changing to wiring loom on a Strom to the SV wiring loom, which appears to be a nightmare. Even the Suzy V-engine guru I used didn't get it done successfully and just put the bike back to stock. On the other forum, there is a huge writeup by John on how he did it. When I got my work done on my engine, I could have used SV heads with the larger valves. However with our little 45 mm injector bodies, (compared to the SV's 53mm) there was no significant advantage to it. Our bodies can only be reamed out one or two mm. There's not much meat there. Believe me, if I could have swapped an SV in there, I would have.
There seems to be no real HP gains with the Vee's engine. On top of that, not much demand to do so.
A while back I talked to Cobra regarding their Power Pro R (self adjusting fuel controller). They offered one for the M109R and most, if not all Harleys. I put one on my 109 and it worked great. I kept looking for them to offer one for the Vee so I finally contacted them and they were not interested in making one. It would have been a great addition to these bikes! It could make 80 adjustments a second based on crank rotation speed. Complicated I know but it worked.
I finally had the opportunity to get the ecu flashed and it made a huge difference. I sent my ecu to the tech and he flashed it and sent it back. Turn around time was 4 days.
I was basically curious if there was someone who could do the same with the Vee's ECU.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
So the simple answer is yes, it can be done on the older Vees and it makes a huge difference in low speed running. Removing the secondaries helps at high RPMs in 5th and 6th.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts