StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I take a trip on my Glass Sparkle Black 2012 Adventure in all it's cheap baggage glory, I can't help to think what a great bike! Of course I have the farkles that help me enjoy it and I really think it's a great looking bike, so do many other riders.
I'm coming to a cross road thinking I want more grunt. Not a lot, just want to squeeze out the potential.
I have already installed a PC-V as you can see in my sig, what I'm wanting to do is install a set of slip-on's and get it dyno tuned. I'd really love to get the ECU flashed. Based on how much better my M109R runs with a flashed ECU I think that would be the ultimate farkle for my Vee. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a "kit" offered for the 2002-2012 Vee to flash the ECU. Please inform me if there is, or if there is a compatable program.
After hearing an SV 996 with Two Brothers cans on it at Deals Gap this weekend I really loved the sound.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,255 Posts
SV's sound better than DL's. More compression. Lots more horsepower.

While the different mufflers will make it sound different, maybe more powerful, the actual change in power is very small.

Michael Schmidt on SVPortal.com is the know all for these engines. I don't know what stuff costs, what you can do without getting into the engine. But he does.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... interesting. When you say 'grunt' you looking for more torque at certain rpms?
Yes, more TQ and maybe a little more HP to go with it. I'm not expecting much but would still like to get what I can.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SV's sound better than DL's. More compression. Lots more horsepower.

While the different mufflers will make it sound different, maybe more powerful, the actual change in power is very small.

Michael Schmidt on SVPortal.com is the know all for these engines. I don't know what stuff costs, what you can do without getting into the engine. But he does.
Terry, I'm not looking to turn it into a race machine just was wondering if the brain can be hacked into. Tina can load this thing down and periodically, believe it or not, I'm looking for more grunt.
Like I said, i'm still loving the bike but I will sooner or later have more power. I'd rather squeeze a little more out of it vs buying something else for now.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
16,787 Posts
That M109R is spoiling you, the Big Vee is what it is pretty much. ;) You can drop a tooth in the front or up 2 in the rear, exhaust and tuning just won't yield much gain with that engine. When I ride my Valkyire, it is so much faster than my 650....Hell it rivals the Concours 1400 I had for pure acceleration. Don't get me wrong, the 1000 Strom is no slouch, but it aint no 155 hp Ducati Multistrada either. :)

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
My 2007 Vee was map-able with a Yosh box. However, I was mapping out a lean spot. If your bike demonstrates good fueling, the ECU re-mapping is a waste of time.

Exhaust will make it sound faster....will that help? The power to weight on a Vee is pretty darn good really.

My suggestion, take the windshield off of it, it will feel real fast then.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
after having spent nearly 10 years with my V and countless hours reading this forum and vsri, i was always under the impression that all the mods (save the ridiculously complicated and expensive ones) yield very little in actual HP and TQ gains.

i'm a fatass and have heavy very non-aerodynamic zega panniers and top box, and i can't think of once where i wished for more grunt. then again, i gave up my speed days when i got rid of my gpz-1100

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Mike, the SV and generally an expert on getting power out of our engine style, has had his way with my engine. We're limited by our fuel injectors because they are smaller than TL and SV injectors and can't be replaced by anything he knew of that was larger because of our ECU. I get about 100 HP at the rear wheel. Still no match for the Multistrada! High compression pistons, SV cams, the 4 degree ignition advancer and of course a PC Fuel Controller and TRE gets you on your way to a livelier bike. Roughly $2,000. One could argue that it's not worth it and I couldn't disagree. just depends on the rider.
Then there's the gearing change. My experience with an old Strom is that 17-43 is a good compromise. Works well for two-up and luggage and now too low for highway cruising alone. Just a little more push when you want it, like up mountain highways when you're loaded down.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,255 Posts
High compression pistons, SV cams, the 4 degree ignition advancer and of course a PC Fuel Controller and TRE gets you on your way to a livelier bike. Roughly $2,000. One could argue that it's not worth it and I couldn't disagree. just depends on the rider.
Then there's the gearing change. My experience with an old Strom is that 17-43 is a good compromise.
I wonder what you would get with just the SV cams, ignition advance, TRE? The stock DL pistons/compression would allow it to run on about any fuel and save a boatload of money over installing SV pistons. With those mods, the aftermarket exhaust might make a difference.

I have ridden with Rob, lower gearing isn't going to be much help to him..........I can't keep up solo and he has Tina on the back.......

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Realshelby, I would think the changes you suggested would have a good effect. I didn't notice much with the addition of the HC pistons. I had high hopes for them (and they are EXPENSIVE) and was disappointed. I forgot about the exhaust, which I have too. And velocity stacks. The TRE is especially handy on hills, when passing without downshifting, most anytime you use lots of power in 5th and 6th. The 4 degree advancer is cheap and helps fuel mileage too. You just have to not lug it at high throttle positions or you could get pinging. I get 43-50 mpg depending on how sporty I'm feeling. So basically, I agree with your conclusions. And it's a lot less expensive that way.

·
Registered
654 Posts
IF you want more power, then as suggested, get a different bike. It'll just be easier. If you want a little more torque, drop a tooth on the countershaft so that the power it has is more immediate. Adding mufflers is mostly going to just make it louder. If you reflash the ECU, that will help with fuel delivery and throttle response, not add power.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IF you want more power, then as suggested, get a different bike. It'll just be easier. If you want a little more torque, drop a tooth on the countershaft so that the power it has is more immediate. Adding mufflers is mostly going to just make it louder. If you reflash the ECU, that will help with fuel delivery and throttle response, not add power.
As far as I know there are no Vee's that have been flashed. No data or charts to compare.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts