StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are always reading of burnt stators

Just for grins I would like to try to rewind one. Perhaps see if there is better insulation and epoxy to make it a mod rather than OEM repair. It doesn't look like anything that difficult.

SO if anybody has a burnt stator to throw into the experiment please email me and I will PM you with my address etc.

If/when successful then I would swap it out for cost of the wire.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Do you work in a rewind shop? Or just going to try this at home?

It would be great if a rewind shop could do an OEM-equal or better job at a better price. Here are some helpful links I've found:
American Wire Gauge to metric reference:
Metric/AWG Chart
Different types of "enamel" insulation on magnet wire:
http://www.superioressex.com/uploadedFiles/News/White_Papers/emcwa-nema_magnet-thermal-class-ratings.pdf
Probably a Formvar insulated magnet wire for its use in an oil filled area???:
Formvar
Film Insulated Family of Products
Product Data Sheets & Literature

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Do you work in a rewind shop? Or just going to try this at home?

It would be great if a rewind shop could do an OEM-equal or better job at a better price. Here are some helpful links I've found:
American Wire Gauge to metric reference:
Metric/AWG Chart
Different types of "enamel" insulation on magnet wire:
http://www.superioressex.com/uploadedFiles/News/White_Papers/emcwa-nema_magnet-thermal-class-ratings.pdf
Probably a Formvar insulated magnet wire for its use in an oil filled area???:
Formvar
Film Insulated Family of Products
Product Data Sheets & Literature

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No but I stayed at a Holiday In Express last night

I have run entire factories in the past doing all sorts of stuff.

I think that with just an easy to make hand tool it should be relatively easy.

If successful and I know what's involved then decide if I want to do this and if for how much

1st suckas get them for cost of materials and have to report

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Good initiative richw.
I've wound a stator brefore; it's pretty easy s long as you're patient and meticulous (and you can't have a beer while doing it and you better turn the phone off or you'll lose count if you get interrupted).

There's a good bunch of papers on thegsresources about how to do this.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Henery, did the heavier gauge wire result in fewer turns around each pole? I think that would reduce the capacity. More turns of finer wire would increase the capacity but reduce the reliability.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that more windings would yeild higher voltage which in theory would translate to more watts

I would try to duplicate stock but if there is extra room a couple of extra turnsd

henerytheeight what did that guy charge... If the job is handled I don't have to do it myself

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Thinner wire can raise the resistance, put a higher percentage of non conductive coating than copper in the winding and lower the output. Thicker wire can have less length of wire in the field to be excited and lower the output. Longer and thicker would be best but there isn't room. The insulation will short out if too thin and take room from the wire if too thick. It's a balancing act.

·
Registered
22,309 Posts
on another note, I think the current replacment stator I have is not 400 watts, last winter, my voltage never dropped below 14.0 even with my heated gear running high

yesterday, my voltage was dropping below 13 with the heat only set at a medium level

this past weekend I went to a Ride to Eat, all Ironbutt individuals in attendance I got to look at a Tiger 800 up close also learned the Tiger 800 has an 800 watt alternator, maybe a Tenere won't be my next bike

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Henery, did the heavier gauge wire result in fewer turns around each pole? I think that would reduce the capacity. More turns of finer wire would increase the capacity but reduce the reliability.
I have no idea, but it's still working fine...

...as long as the story told by the voltmeter is good, then I'm happy.

I don't have a lot of extra electricals, but sometimes I run my heated grips and heated gear, no real issues with lack of power.

·
Registered
294 Posts
....this past weekend I went to a Ride to Eat, all Ironbutt individuals in attendance I got to look at a Tiger 800 up close also learned the Tiger 800 has an 800 watt alternator, maybe a Tenere won't be my next bike
Triumph has keyed into this. They are listing the new Tiger Explorer 1200 as having a 950 watt alternator. They get it.

I'd have my eye on the 1200 with shaft drive myself......., wish the 800 had shaft drive.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great

I am going to unwind them and see what it takes to make happy again.

I am still curious what happens to the power that is not used by the R/R

Back in the day there was always an experiment that had a hand cranked permanent generator. When it was not hooked up it would spin with only the drag of the gears. When it was hooked to a load like the light bulb THEN it took effort to turn. I concluded that the induced magnetic field fought the permanent magnets when not connected to the load

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
One comment, some thin, tough insulation between the windings and the stator poles will really help life expectancy. Even a couple of layers of epoxy painted on may be enough.

The most common failure generally is wearing through the insulator to the metal on the corners, there's quite a bit of force on the coils when the things are running and if they can move, they'll wear through.

Pete

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Conundrum

Yes I am going to examine the surface the wire is on. Either to dress off the sharp edges or put on a barrier of some kind. Some use thin aramide films.

I am also trying to discover the voodoo of the missing electrons passed the R/R. Some say they are dissipated as heat in the stator coils. Then additional coatings or epoxy would exacerbate the problems as it would trap the heat. Others say dissipated at the R/R itself, and still others I lean that if the additional current is not flowing then the hysteresis stops power from being produced.

·
Registered
22,309 Posts
Rich, how do you stop the magnetic field from a permenent magnet ?

if the field is an electromagnet, its easy to regulat the power output by regulating the field strength

back when I was a kid and my dad brought home old crank phones from work, my brothers & I would take them apart and play with them, the faster we would crank, the more power if we hooked it up to a 60watt light bulb, we could easily make it blow

you should prolly get the stators on monday, one its the original, still has all the oem plugs, they other was cut so I could reuse the connector to the mosfet rr

do you think its possible to wind one to reliably make 45-50 amps ? with high tech wire or would that require a high tech core ?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Faraday's Law
Coils and Magnets, How to build your Alternator / Generator Faraday's Law
Faraday's law of induction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One limiting factor is the strength of the magnetic field. If the magnets were either stronger (maybe not feasible) or bigger allowing for bigger coils (too big for the engine case) then more output would be possible.

I don't see how the rectifier/regulator changes the generator output--it looks to me like the generator output is solely dependent on rpms, and the r/r shunts excess power to ground in the r/r assembly, thus the need for its cooling fins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts