• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a theory that the original poll didn't look at so if you've had a stator fry on you please respond.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
I just have grip heaters and an outlet for the GPS....

54,200 miles

·
Registered
122 Posts
checking in

Fried in May? 35000 miles appx 2004 DL1000

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I'll bet there won't be a statistical difference. The design of the system is that the stator is always at full output. Extra power is shunted to a heat sink if not used.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Fried??? perhaps lightly seared

Coming home from a local Off road event, the bike died at a light, would not start.

got it home, charged up the battery, bike started. output voltage at idle was low.....

replaced the regulator, inspected cleaned and re-applied epoxy finish to the stator.... voltage is still low at idle speeds, I pulled one headlight harness and am currently riding my 45 minute commute each day successfully while I wait for my new one to arrive....

2009 DL1000...... 93,500 KM's..... :thumbup:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's far from scientific, but what he hell. It'll be interesting to see the results.

I'll bet there won't be a statistical difference. The design of the system is that the stator is always at full output. Extra power is shunted to a heat sink if not used.

·
38,104 Posts
You do need a control group to make it even a little valuable though. How many people who haven't had problems are running how much extra electrical stuff? I've been running a Wee for close to 74,000 miles without problems with enough heated gear I need to turn a headlight off for long rides in the vicinity of 40F.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
If I look at your poll results so far, I am tempted to conclude that vee owners add more electrical accessories to their bikes than wee owners...

So (and I totally say this to stir the dung-pot for the fun of it), it means that either vee owners can't ride without electronic assistance or that they don't understand Ohm's law.

Ok, I'm done kidding now (and if anyone got upset at that gentle nudge, you need to grow a healthier self-esteem)

It could also be that the vee's stator sucks more then the wee's, but I don't know why that would be (I'm pretty sure they're the same)

An intersting thing to investigate would be whether vees cover more miles than wees; maybe that would explain the added electronics and more frequent failures...

Yours was a good attempt at improving the poll, but we're not getting to the bottom of it yet; there are still too many confounds...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
It could also be that the vee's stator sucks more then the wee's, but I don't know why that would be (I'm pretty sure they're the same)

The rotor magnets are known to wander around on the Vee as well, that's likely to rub insulation off the stator windings.

Pete

·
Registered
242 Posts
Finialy got mine to act up long enough to properly diagnose a stator fault.
Installed a Mofset V/R and the multi colored LED voltage indicator light. much simpler wiring this way... Recieved the replacement stator (ElectroSport..., Yea I know but $139.oo V.S. $489.oo for o.e. I'll take a chance) yesterday and will install later this week.
I have a fused 12v outlet for my gps, air compressor, and cell phone charger but cannot see this being the cause of the problem as that I havn't blown a 10amp fuse using it.
Hopefully this will be the end of my electrical problems for a long while.:beatnik:

·
38,104 Posts
Good luck. Electrosport has a poor reputation.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
Recieved the replacement stator (ElectroSport..., Yea I know but $139.oo V.S. $489.oo for o.e.
:jawdrop:

Should be able to get an OEM for WELL under $300.

·
38,104 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I look at your poll results so far, I am tempted to conclude that vee owners add more electrical accessories to their bikes than wee owners...

So (and I totally say this to stir the dung-pot for the fun of it), it means that either vee owners can't ride without electronic assistance or that they don't understand Ohm's law.

Ok, I'm done kidding now (and if anyone got upset at that gentle nudge, you need to grow a healthier self-esteem)

An intersting thing to investigate would be whether vees cover more miles than wees; maybe that would explain the added electronics and more frequent failures...

Yours was a good attempt at improving the poll, but we're not getting to the bottom of it yet; there are still too many confounds...
Duck, Given all the photos I've seen in the "show us your weenie" picture thread, I'd say you've got it backwards. I believe that the average weenie has chopped in more electronic gadgets than 1K riders.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Still interested in burnt stators

I want to see if I can rewire some in a responsible way. Make it better and longer lasting

PM me I will send my address and do a couple as a test

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Duck, Given all the photos I've seen in the "show us your weenie" picture thread, I'd say you've got it backwards. I believe that the average weenie has chopped in more electronic gadgets than 1K riders.
Oh, I don't have it backwards; the poll does ;) So far, the poll shows that most fried stators come from 1ks with added electronics... I'm merely trying to point out that the poll is set up wrong .

Of course, if the poll had the same options but "no fried stator" included AND everyone were forced to answer it, then we might get a bit closer to the truth...

Then we'd have to ask everyone for their mileage and count their accessories (and how long each accessory has been on the bike in miles).

Once we have all that, we'd have to invent some funky number for each bike like number of failures/{mileage to the power [1/accessories]}. We could then average all of those per bike and do a t test to see if there's a difference between the 650 and the 1000.

But that might be a bit too difficult for the average smurf. As evidence, I point to the einstein that posted a poll gathering information on both bikes in a DL-1000 Specific forum rather than in a general forum (that might be why only one wee owner replied to the poll, effectively rendering it useless as a comparison tool).

I think that stators fry because of added electronics (too many, the wrong type, or incorrectly connected). I further think that it has something to do with Ohm's law and that a basic understanding of it (accompanied by clean connections) can prevent a lot of pain, suffering and expense.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.