StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat of a dumb question but can the wee be push started if the battery is dead? The last two bikes before the Wee - BMW F800ST and Yamaha FJR apparently could not be because everything was deal unless the computer was running.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Fuel Injected bikes need enough juice to run the fuel pump which takes more than the computer.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I have jump started my DL-650, three times. There was not enough power in the battery to turn over the motor, but enough to run the bike, once I got it started.

I pushed the bike, out the end of my driveway, and got it rolling down the hill next to my house. I "popped" the clutch, with the bike in second gear, and rode away.

I have also done this in a parking lot, with a slight downhill grade. MUCH harder!

B.L.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've jump started the bike a few times in the process of learning the electrical capacity of the bike when running heated gear and a 50 watt ham radio transmitter.

Lesson learned: install a voltmeter to make sure you're not draining the battery.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It's a big, heavy bike to push start, but if the battery is just too low to turn over the engine, but not completely dead, it will work. Barry's experience is similar to mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep

Yep, had the unfortunate experience of learning this the hard way a few weekends ago - first ran out of gas (on the 405 freeway in LA no less), then once I got to a gas station, it wouldn't start b/c of the battery drain from trying to start the bike w/ no gas.

Anyway, got it bump started on totally flat ground in 2nd, just running along side it. Popped the clutch until it was running, then clutch back in, and put it in neutral to let it run on the side of the road until I got my helmet back on.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I have on more than one occasion roll-started my '07 DL650.

I have always used hills, the battery had enough juice to prime the fuel injection system but not enough to crank the starter.

I've always done this in second or third gear.

On one occasion I had to push the bike up a relatively short, steep incline twice to get it started.

On the first attempt I forgot to turn the ignition on.

I was particularly angry with myself because the cases were full of groceries and I had just filled the tank.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The bike is heavier than my DR and I'm usually on better traction (pavement) but I still do the standing to hard sit down in conjunction with the clutch pop just in case. Might as well make the most of your contact patch.

Thank goodness - only once on the Wee so far.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As mentioned, with a battery strong enough to run the fuel pump and computer it is possible to push start it, but it's a bear. When I popped the clutch after coasting down an incline- even in 3rd gear- the high engine compression caused the rear tire to lock up. I had to make sure that I put more of my weight on the back on the next try.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Yeah, not easy. You can do it alone on a flat surface - but have your heart attack meds handy.

Wasn't at all easy, get it moving as fast as you can, leap on sidesaddle (to get enough rear grip) and dump it into gear, let the clutch out.

Unplugging the headlights may give you a bit more margin.

Pete

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have jump started my DL-650, three times. There was not enough power in the battery to turn over the motor, but enough to run the bike, once I got it started.

I pushed the bike, out the end of my driveway, and got it rolling down the hill next to my house. I "popped" the clutch, with the bike in second gear, and rode away.

I have also done this in a parking lot, with a slight downhill grade. MUCH harder!

B.L.
i did the same, but it was a flat driveway. Too much pride to ask for a jump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts