Strom Trooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched a bit, and haven't found anything that really fits. I was wondering if anyone took all the necessary steps to effectively 'bulletproof' a strom for some real adventure. Not actually bullets obviously, but I am talking crash bars (which I've heard don't even really protect all that much in a wreck), frame sliders, those big mama jamma acerbis lever guards, bedliner paint job, etc.

I've had so-called 'pretty' bikes in the past, and wanted to see about the feasibility of being able to bomb around, push the limits on the back trails, and not have to worry about snapping a lever or replacing turn signals every time it tips over. I know, I know, "buy a dirt bike if you want to do that", "take a track day" etc etc....I just don't want to worry about scratching it up.

Does anyone feel the same way??

·
Registered
268 Posts
GOOD LUCK!
Stuff happens no matter how well you may be prepared. Just drive defensively (always aware, alert and stone sober), and think of your riding experience much the same as aviation; never flying when you don't have to and not flying into a situational experience that could be avoided.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Well...if you are gonna do offroad, or push the bike to "your's" and the bike's limits...YOU ARE GONNA DROP IT!! :shock: Any protection that you give it, is gonna be better than none. I would get the Pat Walsh crash bar/engine guard combo, Acerbis hand guards, flush mount turn signals, and different foot pegs. If you want hard cases, go with Pelican, Jesse or some kind of ammo box configuration. I am sure that I missed a few other good ones though. :wink:

Let your imagination AND your checkbook loose....and have some fun!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wilkin,
Bedliner paint job. Now that's an interesting thought. I saw a new pick-up truck with a Rhino paint job. Pretty sharp in a military sort of way.
Don't forget the headlight protector.
Jim

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hepco Becker crash bars, Adventuremoto skid plate, Touratech Zega panniers. All will help bullet proof your strom.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Crash bars could come in handy sometimes. Too bad I don't have them.

Trying to lift this bike with a full tank of gas is a bummer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
805gregg said:
Hepco Becker crash bars, Adventuremoto skid plate, Touratech Zega panniers. All will help bullet proof your strom.
I couldn't agree more. After researching this to death, and personally seeing each type of crashbar, it looks like the combination I like best is the H&B crashbars and the Adventure MotoStuff skidplate. Not a cheap combination, but IMO the best built that would provide the best protection.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
Brendan gets the MOST use out of his bike, than anyone I know!!!! Who says that these bikes can't go offroad....look at his!!! :lol:

Seriously, he really does have a sweet set up. I am getting the Pat Walsh system hopefully soon as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless you come from a dirt bike background, attending an adventure riding school may save you from dropping your bike so much. They are expensive but you come away with improved off-road skills and they are fun. Bike parts are also expensive and not so much fun to replace. Here is such a school and I am sure there are others. http://www.rawhyde-offroad.com/home.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts