StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leading a small group past Bull Sluice off of US 76. I haven't been there for years and wondered if someone has and can tell me if there is parking off the highway for a half dozen bikes and if they are now collecting a fee.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm leading a small group past Bull Sluice off of US 76. I haven't been there for years and wondered if someone has and can tell me if there is parking off the highway for a half dozen bikes and if they are now collecting a fee.
There is a huge parking area on the SC side and plenty of room to park bikes. On the weekends, it will probably be pretty busy, during the week, mostly to yourself.

I can't remember on the fee exactly.

It's a good hike down to Bull Sluice, but nothing terrible.

This is the parking area and restrooms. There's another 2 row's of parking out of view to the right.

·
Registered
317 Posts
- Bull Sluice Rapids

Bull Sluice Rapid on the Chattooga River is on the border of Georgia and South Carolina. The access point is on Highway 76 about nine miles from Clayton, Georgia. Although accessible from both sides the easiest access is on the South Carolina side. Park on the S. C. side of the bridge in the parking lot on the north side of Hwy. 76 near a stone building that has pit toilets and maps of the river. Past the building follow a paved walkway upstream a few yards to a gravel path that continues upstream. Follow the gravel path which ends after a short distance where there is a good view of the Class 5 rapid.

GPS and Topo data: N34° 48.86' W83° 18.38 - Elevation 1210 ft.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i've kayaked bull sluice more than a few times. my last time over it, i rented a ducky for my new wife and took her down section 3. it was a bare minimum water flow and not a lot of fun, but satill very beautiful. she missed the eddy on top and started to slip backwards. she panicked and jumped out of her ducky fust above the falls on river left. i paddled to her and she grabbed my stern loop just in time for me to pull her out. i then rand the drop blind and retrieve her boat. moral of the story...don't just park there. PADDLE!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts