StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you electrical guys, has anyone replaced the small "running lights" at the top outermost edges of the headlight housing with orange bulbs and wired them in as turn signals? I'm not sure if they would be bright enough, but they would be somewhat less prone to getting broke buy going off road, or whatever reason. Just a thought--Cheers--BB

·
Registered
710 Posts
I am currently modifying my TLS's headlight, (projectors, halos) and the Vee headlight was my next possible project. My idea was turn sigs or led running lights in that area. Available bulbs with adequate brightness will be the issue. I will keep up with any progress you make if you choose to take this to task. In answer to your question, I think it is doable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
New turn signals

Sorry guys, no pictures. I bought 2 1/2 inches by 5 1/2 inches ultra thin yellow LEDs and siliconed each one to the front of each of my Bark buster hand guards and to the back of my Jesse panniers. I also removed and discarded the original turn signals as with them still installed, the instant on-off of the LEDs wasn't as noticeable as with the LEDs only.Yes, I get a quick flash with the stock flasher. EXTERMELY noticeable. I do have a sv650 led flasher on order but I doubt I'll use it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes, I get a quick flash with the stock flasher. EXTERMELY noticeable. I do have a sv650 led flasher on order but I doubt I'll use it.
Does TX have motorcycle safety inspections? In PA I had a motorcycle fail once because the turn signals flashed too slowly, and I could easily see that flashing too quickly would fail as well. In the end, though, it probably just depends on the mechanic doing the inspection.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does TX have motorcycle safety inspections? In PA I had a motorcycle fail once because the turn signals flashed too slowly, and I could easily see that flashing too quickly would fail as well. In the end, though, it probably just depends on the mechanic doing the inspection.
yes, we have to have our skoots inspected

however, there is no law that requires turn signals on motorcycles

but, if the lights are there, they must work

i wonder if they would be noticed, in that configuration?

i don't have signals, of any kind, on my DR350

sw

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Personally, I like turn signals away from the headlight area........to be more visible to oncoming traffic. Too close to the headlight and they might not been seen at all?? But again, what harm is it if oncoming traffic does not see your turn signal........what safety aspect does it impact.......(except maybe at a 4-way stop and you have the right away, for example)?? Rear signals are far more important than fronts in notifying other motorists of your intentions??
BTW.........Kenneth Moore has a great write up/pics of his Barkbuster installed LED turn signals here on the site somewhere........perform a search. He did a good job of installing the LED's to make them appear "Factory" supplied. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Are you talking about the signals built into the rear view mirrors? A few people have modified the GSXR rear view mirrors to fit on other bikes.

I put the amber lights in and wired them into my rear view mirrors on the SV.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Are you talking about the signals built into the rear view mirrors? A few people have modified the GSXR rear view mirrors to fit on other bikes.
Not sure who this question is aimed at...........but Kenneth mounted his signals into the Barkbuster Handguards, not mirrors. There are chinese mirrors out there in ebay-land with built-in LED signals..........not sure of the quality tho??

·
Banned
255 Posts
Personally, I like turn signals away from the headlight area........to be more visible to oncoming traffic. Too close to the headlight and they might not been seen at all?? But again, what harm is it if oncoming traffic does not see your turn signal........what safety aspect does it impact.......(except maybe at a 4-way stop and you have the right away, for example)?? Rear signals are far more important than fronts in notifying other motorists of your intentions??
BTW.........Kenneth Moore has a great write up/pics of his Barkbuster installed LED turn signals here on the site somewhere........perform a search. He did a good job of installing the LED's to make them appear "Factory" supplied. :thumbup:
You mustn't have any roundabouts your way...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I put the amber lights in and wired them into my rear view mirrors on the SV.
Nope, I'm talking about using the small lights in the headlight area, in the top rear corners, as aux. turn signals. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
25 Posts
Position light replacement

I recently replaced those lights with amber LED's more as small driving lights.
The bulbs are standard 194 bulbs. I could barely see the originals looking directly at them. The amber LED's are more noticeable, especially if you look at them from directly in front. I found them at the local Autozone and they fit with no problems. I found several replacements online, but I don't think they would be noticeable/useful as turn signals. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
The amber lights may look cooler on the orange bikes...:mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts