StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do experiments all the time and I know one data point doesn't mean beans, but here it goes:

In November I posted this: http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-[-vee]/70000-my-clock-briefly-displays.html

Basically, my clock started to show "--:--" at startup. Last week I had to get a new battery. It got me wondering....

I bit of deep research on the DL ECM tells me that it has "brown out detector" capability. No way to know how Suzuki uses it, but BOD is typically used in microcontrollers to detect a low voltage situation and perform some level of reset (hard or soft). A complete power down typically is a hard reset.

So, I wonder if the "--:--" clock reading is a possible way to suggest that the DL battery is going bad or has dirty/loose contacts, etc.

Just a thought. Anyone else with a data point?

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's an interesting theory, and I'll let you know when
My battery fails as my clock has been doing this since I bought the bike in February

Sent from my Motorcycle iPod touch app

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Such a readout would mean voltage has dropped too low. Having the clock reset to 1am also happens.

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
That's what mine did for the longest time..... Replaced battery...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Such a readout would mean voltage has dropped too low. Having the clock reset to 1am also happens.
True, but..... Almost all ECM have at least two low voltage detect modes (all that I know about and I know for a fact the DL is this way). One low voltage mode may be set, at say 10 volts; to trigger calling a brownout software subroutine. A 0V condition is usually set up to restart the entire controller software program from ground zero.

My speculation is Suzuki set the brownout level to display "--:--", then recovery the RTC (real time clock). The 0V level restarts everything from scratch and you get "1:00"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts