StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to have some protection there, and i had a load of fiberglass so i thought it might make a good project. But unfortunately i have 2 left hands, so im not that good with this stuff. I made a template out of cardboard put it on and now im in the fiberglass phase. Hopefully this will be good enough for the type of riding i do. I never even felt in my type of riding i needed much, but something there to protect the oil filter and oil cooler might be nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd make a couple more cuts in your GFRP so it doesn't "bubble" up like that. Allow the cut pieces to cross each other and lay flat.

Cool idea!

If you had the tools and wanted to go nuts, making this out of carbon fiber isn't much different.
  • Use cloth as a template so you know how to cut out your fiber (so less waste). Also don't cut until after you've wetted it.
  • Place the fiber onto a plastic sheet, apply resin liberally, then place another plastic sheet on top and "push" the resin through to wet the entire fabric
  • Cut your shapes while plastic is in place. Then peel one side, place it on your mold, and peel the other side. No hanging wet fiber!
  • Apply to mold with the same (basic) process. Maybe using some wood filler on the cardboard to smooth out sharp edges/holes would be even better
  • Make a poor-man's honeycomb and leave the cardboard in-place, wrapping the other side with fiber too. Way structurally stronger.
  • If you can, wrap the whole thing in a bag, vacuum seal it, and pull the excess resin out via vacuum pump. This reduces weight and makes the final product less brittle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thats for the advice. I think if this little concept works i might do something in carbon fiber. It would be neat to have, makes sense as a bash plate instead of steel. You sound like you know your way around Resin, are you a professional?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Me thinks a fiberglass bash plate will accept one bash then be trash! Fiberglass is heavy and not ideally suited for this task.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I think it will sand up to normal road debris and small stones like on gravel roads. But off road bring the heft of the DL down on to a baby head or tree crossing and I believe you'll see a lot of hard work go out the window.

I think there's a reason no OEM or aftermarket company makes fiberglass bash plates.

·
Super Moderator
4,529 Posts
As a stone guard it will work fine. Jumping trees and rocks, not so much.
They use alloy and steel as it dents and bends, rather than self destructs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey thats for the advice. I think if this little concept works i might do something in carbon fiber. It would be neat to have, makes sense as a bash plate instead of steel. You sound like you know your way around Resin, are you a professional?
Nope, just got to do some layups in school. Whether or not you could balance a bike on it over a log is a whole different question; you'd really want actual engineering done for that. The mount points, both number and size, would be super critical. I think a fiber shield would protect well against rocks/debris/plowing through sand, but not sure about a full-weight bike landing on it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I know my fiberglass boat dislikes rocks but it will take a pounding over smoother objects, with stroms not having lower frame rails that will increase the challenge.

Here in OZ one-way & no entry signs are a great source of alloy for custom bash plates and other projects.....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I use what they call "Foam Core Construction". It is essentially styrofoam covered on all 6 sides with carbon fiber. This is a photo of my car after running into a cement parking lot divider.

That air dam is about 1/8" thick.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Fiberglass tends to crack when subject to vibrations.
He's right about that. Remember, you can embed steel in between the layers of fabric. At a minimum, you should embed some steel washers wherever you will run fastening bolts through. You could bend and drill some flat-stock steel from side to side for the mounting bolts to serve as a bit of a frame. You can embed lots of different materials for strength or anti-shatter. Lastly, if this one ends up as prototype A ... consider using epoxy resin for Proto-B.
Liked your video _ do more.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
As mentioned, more of a guard than a bashplate. One good hit and it will be done. Carbon fiber is stronger, but more brittle, so even less able to stand up to impacts. If you want to add impact resistance, include a layer or two of Kevlar. But truly, if you want it to stand up, metal is the way to go. So long as you roll out your laminations to remove excess resin, and are using the proper ratio of resin to cloth, bagging is an unnecessary complication. If this was a structural part, where strength was important, maybe. But the difference in weight is negligible.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A lot of people don't need dirt bike skid plates on their Strom. As matter of fact a lot of Stroms around the world have full body panels. Upright crotch rockets and the owners are very happy.

Kudos and good luck.
But when the OP states he's making a "Bash Plate"....................

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I understand. Bash plate, skid plate, and a few other terms are used very loosely. I'm having to ponder the subject because I'm going to be making a few options for folks and need to have accurate descriptive names.
Maybe designate them like ski runs. 💎💎💎 _ 💎💎_ 💎

1 - 20 of 23 Posts